SASS Wire Forum

Southeast Regional Ambush At Cavern Cove

The costume contest will be directed by non other than Texas Flower. 

Shooting Costume Contest - Friday, October 25th

· Shooters will be judged while they are shooting the match.  Judges will circulate to determine the best shooting costumes.

· First through 3rd place awards will be presented for the Best Shooting Costume Man, Lady, Junior Boy and Junior Girl.

First through third place awards will be presented during the

Banquet.

Best Dressed Costume Contest - Saturday, October 26th

Judging will take place at the Banquet

· All contestants must be SASS members in good standing.

· No registration is required for the contest.

· Judges will be set up in the banquet hall. 

· Please go to the judge’s table to show-off your costume!

· A contestant will only be considered for one category.

· No presentation is required, but you are welcome to tell the judges about your costume.  Criteria used for judging will be: authenticity, originality, details/accessories, and knowledge of costume.

First through third place awards will be presented during the

banquet in each of the following Best Dressed Categories:

Lady

Gentleman

Couple

Military

B-Western / Silver Screen Man

B-Western / Silver Screen Lady

Soiled Dove/Parlor House Madam

Junior Boy (16 & under)

Junior Girl (16 & under)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New poker prizes coming in daily!  Almost to the point that everybody will play for free!  Let me know if you find a better deal and I will go play!  Judge Roy Bean will be playing, he may be old but, he is a dam good poker player.  Just ask everybody he beat at Rabbit Ridge!  Everybody in that game thought the were the best player, Judge proved them all wrong and claimed the money!  Justice Lily Kate then robbed him and gave the money to the scholarship fund.

In order to allow more time for shooters to participate in the costume contest, we've backed up the starting time to 5:30. You will be able to participate as long as you're there by 6:30. Can't wait to see the awesome costumes!

So that everyone knows how the costume contests will be conducted for the Southeast Regional, Texas Flower, Costume Contest Chairman, has asked us to send an email to all Ambush shooters with the contest information. Below is a copy of that email. 

Hello Ambush Shooters,

I am looking forward to attending Ambush and coordinating the costume contest for the Southeast Regional – Ambush.  To help you prepare for the costume contest, below is the information you will need.  

See you all soon, Texas Flower

Shooting Costumes Will be judged on Friday, October 25th

• Shooters will be judged while they are shooting the match.  Judges will circulate to determine the best shooting costumes.
  • First through 3rd place awards will be presented for the Best Shooting Costume Man, Lady, Junior Girl, and Junior Boy at the banquet on Saturday evening.

Best Dressed Costume Contest – Will be on Saturday, October 26th at the Banquet

• All contestants must be SASS members in good standing.
  • No registration is required for the contest.
  • Judges will be set up in the banquet hall.  Please go to the judge’s table to show-off your costume!
  • A contestant will only be considered for one category.
  • No presentation is required, but you are welcome to tell the judges about your costume.  Criteria used for judging will be: authenticity, originality, details/accessories, and knowledge of costume.
  • First through third place awards will be presented during the banquet in each of the following Best Dressed Categories:

Lady

Gentleman

Couple

Military

B-Western/Silver Screen Man

B-Western/Silver Screen Lady

Soiled Dove/Parlor House Madam

Junior Boy (16 & under)

Junior Girl (16 & under)

On 9/24/2019 at 4:26 PM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

No Big Hat category?

Imis

We're calling it the All Hat, No Cattle category. :) Looking forward to seeing to seeing you in Alabama. I'm pretty sure I can pick you out of a crowd. :lol:

On 9/24/2019 at 4:26 PM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

No Big Hat category?

Imis

2 hours ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

We're calling it the All Hat, No Cattle category. :) Looking forward to seeing to seeing you in Alabama. I'm pretty sure I can pick you out of a crowd. :lol:

Didn't y'all hear? Lickskillet Charlie was cobbling something up involving two sheets of plywood and a 5 gallon bucket. :rolleyes:

Ambush At Cavern Cove Southeast Regional 2019
Long Range Rules

Categories:

Pistol

100 Yard Pistol Caliber Repeating Rifle Rapid Fire

100 Yard Pistol Caliber Rifle Slow Fire

200 Yard Repeating Rifle

200 Yard Single Shot Rifle

200 Yard Buffalo Rifle

200 Yard Optics Rifle

Tie breakers:

Pistols and repeating rifles rapid fire time is the tiebreaker.

Single shot rifles/slowfire repeating rifles, bonus target hits and if needed shoot off for tie breaker.

Two sighters per gun will be allowed at the time of first firing for record, sighters may not be converted to shots for record. Shooter may request spotter call the sighting shots. If firing in a shoot off blackpowder shooters may fire two fouling shots into the berm or a target designated by the RO.

Firing for record occurs when the shooter states they are ready to do so. Spotters will not call more than hit or miss for record shots (shooter must request the hit/miss calls prior to firing the string). Time permitting you may fire two additional strings for record, doing so negates the previous strings (just like drawing new cards in draw poker).

Guns- any SASS legal gun for the various classes as defined in the Shooters Handbook is allowed. NOTE- the ROC has declared the NEF/H&R and Henry break open single shot rifles with external hammers to be legal. NOTE- 100 yard pistol caliber slow fire/single shot we are allowing any SASS legal repeating rifle to be single loaded and fired as if it were a single shot due to the scarcity of single shot pistol caliber rifles.
Ammo- any SASS legal ammo as defined under Long Range in the Shooters Handbook is allowed. Buffalo Rifles must shoot BP or any SASS approved BP substitute (duplex loads and Blackhorn 209 are illegal per the SHB).
Sights and optics per the SHB.

All SASS safety and gun handling rules are in effect. Due to firing line commonality with stages running other side matches we will be using a flag system. From 12:00 to 1:30 PM the range is cold, there is to be no handling of firearms during this period; this is to allow range officials to go down range to repaint the long range targets.

Guns may be in carts with actions open, racked with actions open (there is very limited rack space) or brought to the line cased and then shown clear when uncased. Guns may only be loaded at the line immediately prior to firing. Guns must be shown clear and actions opened before removing from the line (guns brought to the line cased or holstered must be shown clear then the action closed and recased or reholstered at the table). No gun handling under the shelter while a shooter is on the firing line.

North Alabama Regulators are supplying various height shooting rests and sandbags for the slow fire and single shot categories.

Shooters will be expected to treat this as a normal posse and pitch in to help time, spot and pick brass. This is a Regional match, cowboy attire is required per the SHB.

To keep things moving there will be a sign up sheet for one gun/event to be shot, after you shoot that you may sign up to shoot another.

Courses Of Fire
Pistols-
5 shots.

Pistols may be brought to the line holstered or cased, must be unloaded.

Load at the table.
May be shot Duelist or Traditional.

Start standing at the table, gun in hand, not cocked, muzzle touching table until the beep.

Shooter starts the timer after spotters state they are ready.
Targets are from approx. 34 to 42 yards in echelon. Engage targets in a Continuous Sweep from left to right. Do not reengage a missed target, continue the sweep.
Penalties- A two second penalty will be assessed for reengaging a missed target or starting at the wrong end.

Repeating Rifles Rapid Fire- pistol caliber at 100 yards, rifle caliber at 200 (195 actual) yards.

Load at the table adjacent to firing position.

Must be fired unsupported from the standing position.
Start in ready position, gun loaded, hammer down on an empty chamber.
5 shots at the largest target (leftmost target).
The line to start the timer is “Eat lead!”

Match official starts the timer.

Single shot/slowfire rifles, buffalo rifles and optics rifles-
Pistol caliber rifles fire at 100 yards.
Rifle caliber single shot rifles, buffalo rifles and optics rifles fire at the 200 yards.

Rifles fired from the rest and sandbag/s provided by the club.
Fire from left to right, largest to smallest target, one round per target. Point values are from 1-5 as targets decrease in size. Shooter must engage all five targets in order, engaging the wrong target is a miss.

Load from the body or the table.
Match official will inform the shooter if they need to engage the small bonus target for the initial tie breaker. The bonus target to be engaged until missed.
Points and number of hits on the the bonus target determine 1st through 3rd place.
If there is a tie after the bonus targets hits the final tie breaker will be fired shoulder to shoulder, offhand at targets to be determined at the time of the shootoff. Each shooter will fire one round then the next shooter will fire until one misses a target the other has hit.
It is the shooter’s responsibility to report back to the Long Range area between 3:15 and 3:40 PM to determine if they need to participate in a tie breaking shoot off. Shootoff begins at 3:45 PM.

So come off the range from shooting, you are tired and feet need some relief. Well we will have a massage lady at the range to help you out with those tired feet. 

So yes you can get a foot massage at the end of your shooting. What a happy ending.

On 10/6/2019 at 9:41 PM, Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L said:

So come off the range from shooting, you are tired and feet need some relief. Well we will have a massage lady at the range to help you out with those tired feet. 

So yes you can get a foot massage at the end of your shooting. What a happy ending.

I see what you did there.  

Looks like we're two weeks out!  

So, what are we eating Saturday night in The Grandview Ballroom at  Guntersville State Park Lodge? In my best Grandpa Jones voice:

Chicken Pecan, Prime Rib with Au Jus, Green Beans Amandine, Potatoes Au Gratin, Salad, water, coffee, tea and Banana Pudding. Yum! Yum!

Here's an aerial view of the lodge.

37 minutes ago, Buck D. Law, SASS #62183 said:

So, what are we eating Saturday night in The Grandview Ballroom at  Guntersville State Park Lodge? In my best Grandpa Jones voice:

Chicken Pecan, Prime Rib with Au Jus, Green Beans Amandine, Potatoes Au Gratin, Salad, water, coffee, tea and Banana Pudding. Yum! Yum!

Here's an aerial view of the lodge.

They's sum Franch in all dat ritin', smells like them vittles is gunna be rite gud!

Kajun

Is there any Cowboys or Cowgirls planning on shooting the Cowboy Rimfire match on Thursday afternoon that have not signed up? Right now we are short enough shooters needed to run a posse and have the match. If you are planning on it and not signed up please let me know.

Thanks, Barkeep

1 hour ago, Barkeep Casey said:

Is there any Cowboys or Cowgirls planning on shooting the Cowboy Rimfire match on Thursday afternoon that have not signed up? Right now we are short enough shooters needed to run a posse and have the match. If you are planning on it and not signed up please let me know.

Thanks, Barkeep

We won't be there in time Barkeep.  Sorry!

3 hours ago, Barkeep Casey said:

Thanks, Barkeep

Evil Bob and I will be there. Evil Bob is looking to be the sole competitor in the rimfire GF category.

Kajun

On 10/16/2019 at 5:17 PM, Barkeep Casey said:

...the Cowboy Rimfire match on Thursday afternoon...we are short enough shooters needed to run a posse ...Thanks, Barkeep

Barkeep,

I won't be participating in this but will be happy to help with the clock or counting, etc., assuming we get there in time.

But I ain't picking up no rimfire brass!   :lol:

Jackalope

On 10/17/2019 at 5:33 PM, Jackalope said:

Barkeep,

I won't be participating in this but will be happy to help with the clock or counting, etc., assuming we get there in time.

But I ain't picking up no rimfire brass!   :lol:

Jackalope

That's the beauty of the Rimfire match.  No targets to reset or brass to pick up.  It goes pretty quickly and the ammo is cheap.

Long range benches and targets all set up and ready to go. Don't forget for three of the categories you can shoot your main match pistol and rifle so stop on by side match day and give it a try.

20191019_113040.jpg

20191019_113113.jpg

Archived