SASS Wire Forum

WTC Gee another one

Attica Jack  #23953

Had something happen to myself and another shooter at last Sundays match.   It was the first stage, very easy.  2 shotgun targets, 2 rifle targets and 2 pistol targets.  The stage was to be shot, 5 shots on one target and 5 shots on the other target, both the rifle and pistol targets were shot the same way, then knockdown the shotgun targets.  I shot the stage, had one pistol miss.  I received a "P" because I shot the rifle on the pistol targets and the pistol on the rifle targets.  My score was my time, a "P" and a miss...I thought OK, not a good way to start the day.  The other shooter shot the stage the same a I did, but he was clean and received a "P".   Later I was talking to the score keeper and was told that we got a break, because we should have received 20 misses and a "P".    I never really thought about it until yesterday, but to receive a 120 second penalty seemed a little harsh for shooting the wrong targets, they were hit, just not with the correct firearm.  What do you think?

Rounds from the correct gun (for the gun order you are shooting) that hit incorrect TYPE of targets are JUST MISSES, no P!

That "big penalty" would have resulted if  the club had actually followed the rules.   

Look at Miss Flowchart for the correct way to reason through the situation.

Good luck, GJ

Each hit on the wrong target is a miss

More accurately, "Each hit on the wrong type of target for the gun being used is a miss."

yup you got lucky,,,  20 misses,,,  and a dirty look for the TO and spotters for not hollering

Also troubling that the TO and spotters failed to help the shooter by saying - shoot the RIFLE targets with your rifle!   And then doing it one more time for the other pard.

Good luck, GJ

11 minutes ago, Attica Jack #23953 said:

I am not blaming anyone but myself.....just seemed a little harsh.  Probably need to pay a little more attention on how to shoot each stage, "Correctly."

You should blame others...they scored the competition incorrectly. 

Frankly, this is a simple question and again, it scares me that you apparently had at least 5 posse members that didn't know a basic SASS rule.

Phantom

I'm with everyone else on how that many did not know? Are they taking RO 1 as required every two years? Are they reading the SHB? my 2cents but below some extracts for ya. 

5-SECOND PENALTIES Misses are 5-Second penalties. Revolver, rifle, and shotgun targets must be engaged with the appropriate type of firearm. A MISS is defined as the failure to hit the appropriate target type using the appropriate type of firearm and includes:

- Each missed target.

- Each unfired round.

- Inadvertently left rounds in a revolver are misses, unless there is an unfired round under the hammer, in which case it is a Stage DQ.

- Each target hit with an incorrect firearm – either intentionally or by mistake.

- Each target hit with illegally acquired ammunition.

SHB-pg 22

Miss – a failure to hit the appropriate target type using the appropriate firearm type. For further explanation of how to assess a miss, see “Miss Flow Chart” in this document. (See also “5-Second Penalties” section of the PENALTY OVERVIEW”) SHB defentions,

RO 1 course- "*DOUBLE JEOPARDY: A MISS CANNT CAUSE A PROCEDURAL*"

My question would be - were the rifle & pistol targets all the same distance from the shooting line ?

2 minutes ago, Yusta B. said:

My question would be - were the rifle & pistol targets all the same distance from the shooting line ?

Can't answer your question as it relates to the OP,  but I had a shooters at WR start shooting the pistol targets with his rifle...and there was a significant gap between the pistol and rifle targets. 

If it can happen, it will happen...

Phantom

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Can't answer your question as it relates to the OP,  but I had a shooters at WR start shooting the pistol targets with his rifle...and there was a significant gap between the pistol and rifle targets. 

If it can happen, it will happen...

Phantom

No question about that .....

Archived