SASS Wire Forum

Just (belatedly) saw a new press is on the market.

Slowhand Bob, 24229

While checking out u-tube I came across the relatively new RCBS auro presses, the Pro Chuckers 5 and 7.  These look like a very close??? copy of the Hornady LNL AP but with a couple of small improvements.  I looked for anyone doing comparisons on the two brands and was not to successful on a quick search, anyone here have some better info on what is going on?  These looked so clost that I am wondering if there isn't some hmmm collusion between the two companies.

HMMM: collusion seems to be a mighty familiar term, no?  

20 minutes ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

While checking out u-tube I came across the relatively new RCBS auro presses, the Pro Chuckers 5 and 7.  These look like a very close??? copy of the Hornady LNL AP but with a couple of small improvements.  I looked for anyone doing comparisons on the two brands and was not to successful on a quick search, anyone here have some better info on what is going on?  These looked so clost that I am wondering if there isn't some hmmm collusion between the two companies.

HMMM: collusion seems to be a mighty familiar term, no?  

I keep hearing that same word…Just can not for the likes of me remember where…I guess I got burned out hearing it…

Texas Lizard

How can the Hornady LNL be improved?

TL, collusion is very hard to prove, but the NFL settled out of court instead of spending more money to prove that it didn't happen; but you probably weren't referring to that ;)

Slowhand, If I'm looking at the right thing I don't think it's that similar to the LnL: https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-88910-Chucker-Progressive-Reloading/dp/B00X02G7C0

looks more like a mix between Dillon and Hornady to me.

I was looking at loading bench design videos on U-Tube when I stumbled on a couple of videos about the new RCBS Pro Chuckers models 5 and 7.   Watch his first set-up video on the 5 stage model, there will be several short ones on set up and use.  Their model 7 seems to just be a seven stage version of the five model.  The bushings, the powder measure system, shux, all of it really looks like an updated LNL  really worth a look if one is a fan of the LNL AP.  I am wondering how much interchangeability????   HMMM  

I have two LNL AP presses. After looking at the assembly video, the only interchangeability would be the reloading dies. The RC5 is an interesting design having a tool head similar to the Dillon and a ram assembly similar to the LNL AP. Everything else is unique to the RC5. If I were looking for a press I would consider it depending on cost.

Amazon shows RCBS 5 press fir $595. Yikes!!!!

The RCBS powder hopper works the same as the Horady one and you can put the Hornady case operated mechanism on it. 

The primer tube but not feeder looks similar.

Before Hornady had their automatic bullet feeder RCBS had theirs and it seemed to adapt right on the Hornady press.

Throw " Lee" into the mix it looks like there is a bunch of Cheaply Cast parts in the mix ,,,, something Expected on a Cheap Press ....

I would prefer the "RED" or the "BLUE" ....

Jabez Cowboy

Have a RCBS rockchucker supreme and a Dillon 550 - so no experience with Hornady LNL or RCBS progressive. Like the idea of 7 stations on RCBS gives a lot of set up options. That is one of my frustrations with the Dillon having only 4 stations with the way I prefer to reload can't use a powder check with it for pistols or some rifle set ups. Brother has Hornady LNL but hasn't set it up in 5 years he's had it, though I told him I'd be more than happy to help. I'd like to try one out, might even get rid of my Dillon 550 as the Hornady has 5 stations and is more flexible that way. 

I still mostly use my RCBS rockchucker as it is dead simple to set up quickly and with an LNL die set up, setting and then switching dies is nothing. I prefer priming using a Lee hand primer. And I like to resize and deprime my rifle brass before tumbling (if needed), and trimming (use a franklin arsenal  trimmer for trimming, deburring, pocket swaging, etc.), use either a Redding 3BR for rifle or a Harrell's Pistol powder measure for pistol and a RCBS 10-10 scale to check powder weights. 

Wish I knew someone with an RCBS 7 station progressive as it has potential, the reviews I've read so far don't look so good for it  and it is expensive like all RCBS products. Right now I am thinking of evnetually ditching the Dillon and getting a Hornady LNL as I've read a ton of postitive reviews for it.

To me the RCBS progressive doesn't look like just a different iteration of the Hornady LNL. 

RCBS makes a lot of good equipment but they never can seem to find their place in the progressive press world.  Their products end up more expensive than Dillon’s but they just don’t seem to garner a big following.

RCBS - great dies, good powder measures, good digital powder dispenser, best balance beam scale 10-10, great single stage press.

Dillon - best high end progressives

Hornady - best solid price buy for a quality progressive, love their lock and load adapter for single stage presses.

Redding - top of the line dies and powder measures

Forster - best ever single stage press and great dies

Lyman - usually good solid stuff - great reloading books

Lee - cheap stuff that often enough works well - it's a pick and choose thing - I really like some of their stuff - if you choose right it can do exactly what you need and save you money.

Harrell - works of art powder measures.

RCBS - Had an early Rock Chucker and sure thought it was slow for pistol loading.

Dillon- Had Meal Deal (some similar catchy name) tiny, tight and slow for a progressive and not readily adaptable.

Hornady - good alternative deal for a top of the line press BUT is definitely not trying to equal Dillons goof-proof lifetime guarantee.

LEE - some great/inventive ideas but always seem to mess them up with cheeep-cheeep follow through on the manufacturing. 

Herters - Thats been over fifty years ago and my memory jist aint thet good no more!!!

I have not done any reloading or shooting in the last several years now BUT I swear the RCBS 5 still seems very similar to what I remember on the LNL AP?

Archived