SASS Wire Forum

Anybody blow any stumps up?

43 minutes ago, Raylan said:

Demo knife. Taking out stumps is easy, the problem is getting the refined fissionable material, the detonator can also be an issue though that is merely a technical issue. 

Ding ding ding. Demo knife. Although officially a  “Knife, Pocket NSN: 5110-00-162-2205”. Been around since WW2. Awl is handy for putting a hole for the blasting cap in a block of C4. :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Dustin Checotah said:

Water main?? Did you find yours that way?

No, I got lucky.

I blew a hole in my front yard about 4' x 4' x 3' deep, dropped divots all over the neighborhood, burned off my eyebrows and some hair, made a million or so itty bitty holes in my tee shirt, melted holes into my plastic prescription lenses, and woke up the chickens.  No one called the cops or FD, no one said anything about it to me (except one guy who brought a divot back and placed it my hand saying "I believe this is yours").  My neighbors had gophers for years after that butI didn't.  I can still imagine tiny triangular red signs with white lettering reading "Achtung!  Minen!" 

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

No, I got lucky.

I blew a hole in my front yard about 4' x 4' x 3' deep, dropped divots all over the neighborhood, burned off my eyebrows and some hair, made a million or so itty bitty holes in my tee shirt, melted holes into my plastic prescription lenses, and woke up the chickens.  No one called the cops or FD, no one said anything about it to me (except one guy who brought a divot back and placed it my hand saying "I believe this is yours").  My neighbors had gophers for years after that butI didn't.  I can still imagine tiny triangular red signs with white lettering reading "Achtung!  Minen!" 

Ordnance Captain, eh?

7 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Thank you Lawman Mark! That was the funniest thing I've read in a LONG time and perfect timing; I really needed it(11 year old girl drama going on presently).

Oh my. Wait for 19!

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Ding ding ding. Demo knife. Although officially a  “Knife, Pocket NSN: 5110-00-162-2205”. Been around since WW2. Awl is handy for putting a hole for the blasting cap in a block of C4. :)

Didn't one of those models have a cap crimper on it? (Not the one in the picture)

Or am I confusing tools in my aging mind?

9 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Didn't one of those models have a cap crimper on it? (Not the one in the picture)

Or am I confusing tools in my aging mind?

That was the M-2 demolition pliers. Crimped, wire stripper, cap hole awl and screwdriver. The original multi tool.

E00C74EA-372C-48BA-A628-C173E0615240.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

That was the M-2 demolition pliers. Crimped, wire stripper, cap hole awl and screwdriver. The original multi tool.

E00C74EA-372C-48BA-A628-C173E0615240.jpeg

Yep. That's them.

Then it's true, my aging mind is confusing tools!

We joke about big KABOOMS, but the artist who was my instructor had very large boulder (5 ft+)in the pit where we were getting a practical demonstration, before he got down to the actual lessons.

He asked how many pieces we wanted it to end up in.

Someone said "8" and the instructor went to work; a 1/4 stick here, another bit there, some period caps in each charge and some mud over the top of the charge.

We stood way back hoping for an earth shattering KABOOM!

Instead, we got "pop" and the boulder sort of fell apart.

In 8 main pieces.

Like I said, the guy was an artist.

Just now, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

We joke about big KABOOMS, but the artist who was my instructor had very large boulder (5 ft+)in the pit where we were getting a practical demonstration, before he got down to the actual lessons.

Someone said "8" and the instructor went to work; a 1/4 stick here, another bit there, some period caps in each charge and some mud over the top of the charge.

We stood way back hoping for an earth shattering KABOOB!

In 8 main pieces.

And a mathematician. ;)

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Ordnance Captain, eh?

Yeeaaah, I was.

Someone on this wire once (and it may not be exactly worded, but the idea is the same) said that no problem is so huge or complicated that it can't be resolved by the judicious use of explosives.  I've never found a reason to doubt that statement.  :P  :blink:

There are some stump removal videos on YouTube.  One that requires patience involves drilling holes (I suggest inch or bigger auger for starters) and filling the holes with Epsom salts. Another requires a few chainsaw cuts, diesel fuel, maybe a spoonful of gasoline and fire.  I happen to have some smokeless powder that I would add....

12 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

We stood way back hoping for an earth shattering KABOOM!

In 8 main pieces.

My wife's uncle was a blaster and did the same for us with 2 huge rocks in the driveway. The boom was so disappointing. Mostly just smoke, but the rocks were exactly where he said they'd be. and in the sizes he said.

Stumps? How about removing gophers?

Was visiting my cousin back in the 70's and he had a coffee can filled with M-80's.

He wanted to show me the power those little 1/8 sticks of dynamite had.

First, we went outside to a new galvanized garbage can and filled it water.

He lit the M-80 and tossed it in, covering us in water.

Next step, tie a rock around M-80 and observe the mushroom cloud of water.

The garbage can blew apart at the seam. "Probably not gonna make Uncle too happy."

Next, we went out in the back and he lit one and threw it down in a gopher hole.

The percussion blew up and out covering us with dirt.

"OK, let's take the garbage can lid,. I'll light the M-80 and toss it in and you cover the hole with the lid."

BOOM! Garbage can lid flies up and away.

"OK, let's try it again, this time I'll jump on the lid after you cover the hole."

Cousin screams and rolls on the ground in agony.

Even with heavy boots on, the percussion busted blood vessels on the bottoms of his feet.

Later in life, I do believe it was my same cousin who coined the phrase, "Here, hold my beer and watch this."

Back in June of ‘66, the three Special Weapons teams of my 8” battalions went to a demolitions area and learned how to blow stuff up.  One of the things we did was put two shaped charges onto a 1/2” steel plate. The shaped charges were connected with a 3’ piece of det cord (burns at 6400 m/s) we expected to see two big holes in the steel plate.  Instead we saw one shaped charge go off pushing its side of the steel plate into the ground and propelling the second shaped charge into the air, we saw it spinning, maybe 50 ft up and then it went off, destroying nothing.

looking back at this time and putting everything into context, I think we got the chance to do this because someone had stolen blasting caps from the ammo trailers and rather than have a huge investigation, we went to the demo area and destroyed enough stuff to make the inventory and the requisitions come out right. I dunno really , I was just a PFC.

So I have some tripwire and a 209 primer holder setup. When the wire is hit, it detonates the primer. The primer is situated at the top of a 1/2" pvc tube about 1ft long. The tube can be filled with whatever. Now, supposing that whatever was blackpowder, would it just ruin my setup or would it do anything to the tree stump I have it driven in?

50 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

What happened to all that common sense, I learn from my elders talk a while back?

common sense?

That's just another way of sayin' "experience".

Here’s the advice I give to people contemplating something like this who have no training or experience in the fascinating field of explosives.

DON’T DO IT.

I have heard 2 good stories about blasting.

1.  My uncle a dairy farmer said that another farmer that he knew was wanting a stump removed but as he was getting old and did not want to mess with doing it his self. He goes out and hires this young guy that said or was advertising that he was a demolition expert. He said that the expert placed the charges and went to hide behind his truck. The charge went off sending the stump into an arc that landed right on the cab of the experts truck. The old farmer watched the whole thing and then said to the expert "With a little more practice you could probably get it into the bed every time". 

2. Anther story that was told to me was of some work on new water mains in a town that I lived in. Seems that they ran into too much ledge to dig up so they hired this demolition expert to take out the ledge. He was supposedly an ex military demo guy. Well as the story goes not only did the blast take out the ledge the shockwave took out many of the windows on Main Street.

I always thought they were a bit humorous. I don't know if they are true they just sound like they might have a bit of a ring of truth. 

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Here’s the advice I give to people contemplating something like this who have no training or experience in the fascinating field of explosives.

DON’T DO IT.

Yeah, I think I’d try the Epsom Sait technique, takes a half year or so but doesn’t break a lot of things.

might try the burn it out method in the winter.  (With a snow cover)

18 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

So I have some tripwire and a 209 primer holder setup. When the wire is hit, it detonates the primer. The primer is situated at the top of a 1/2" pvc tube about 1ft long. The tube can be filled with whatever. Now, supposing that whatever was blackpowder, would it just ruin my setup or would it do anything to the tree stump I have it driven in?

17 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Maybe I need to video it for educational purposes. Or evidence...

Well, just ask yeowndangself.............. WWWD?

..........Widder

TN,

about 4-5 years back,  the farmer had 2 stumps back in the area where I go to shoot.

After a summer of SG practice at those 2 stumps, they were gone.....totally gone.

I didn't set up any KD's but rather used those stumps as my targets.

Based on watching you shoot your SG, I might suggest you consider using this technique

to help remove your stump problem.........and at the same time, improve your SG skills.

:lol:

..........Widder

18 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Well, just ask yeowndangself.............. WWWD?

..........Widder

I did that. I went to DQ and got a heath blizzard  but when I tried to call TN Williams to ask him what to do, the phone kept giving me a busy signal.:ph34r:

5 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

I did that. I went to DQ and got a heath blizzard  but when I tried to call TN Williams to ask him what to do, the phone kept giving me a busy signal.:ph34r:

You just need  to forward all your calls to yourself to Widder.

21 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

TN,

about 4-5 years back,  the farmer had 2 stumps back in the area where I go to shoot.

After a summer of SG practice at those 2 stumps, they were gone.....totally gone.

I didn't set up any KD's but rather used those stumps as my targets.

Based on watching you shoot your SG, I might suggest you consider using this technique

to help remove your stump problem.........and at the same time, improve your SG skills.

:lol:

..........Widder

I get no respect. Widder I am surprised you would even suggest such a thing. It won't work. Everybody knows E. TN has fast tree stump and middle TN has slow ones.

On 7/14/2019 at 9:58 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Some will get this.:P

D7E2963D-64FA-48E5-8765-2EB0DC3C2EFF.jpeg

UB:

Thanks for the history lesson.

My research (which typically happens when I want to learn something new) has revealed that most likely the manufacturer is Camillus.

The Camillus Cutlery Company were one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States.

They have been supplying the world with reliable, innovative pocket knives since 1876. They are made from durable materials that keep the price at comfortable levels for everybody.

Camillus-US-Military-Pocket-Knife-2002.thumb.jpg.5193e156bace7407bd9c6d1ac903c71d.jpg

Camillus 1966 (Vietnam Era) U.S. Military Issued Pocket Knife Multi-Tool - Stainless Steel              

5 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

UB:

Thanks for the history lesson.

My research (which typically happens when I want to learn something new) has revealed that most likely the manufacturer is Camillus.

The Camillus Cutlery Company were one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the United States.

They have been supplying the world with reliable, innovative pocket knives since 1876. They are made from durable materials that keep the price at comfortable levels for everybody.

Camillus-US-Military-Pocket-Knife-2002.thumb.jpg.5193e156bace7407bd9c6d1ac903c71d.jpg

Camillus 1966 (Vietnam Era) U.S. Military Issued Pocket Knife Multi-Tool - Stainless Steel              

Interesting that the caption says 1966 yet the knife blade is dated 2002. Camillus was the most prolific maker but there were several other contractors over the years. I have a couple of 60s dated knives in my collection. It’s a good GP pocket knife.The blade is easily sharpened but doesn’t keep an edge very long. Most of the older knives you find have been over sharpened so much the blade profile has been changed significantly.  Back in the day it was said you needed to have three things to be Special Forces. A demo knife, a Rolex watch, and a star sapphire ring, preferably from a Thailand. I was one for three. ;)

F02DAA3C-ACAC-4275-BF1C-A59E13943428.jpeg

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Interesting that the caption says 1966 yet the knife blade is dated 2002. Camillus was the most prolific maker but there were several other contractors over the years. I have a couple of 60s dated knives in my collection. It’s a good GP pocket knife.The blade is easily sharpened but doesn’t keep an edge very long. Most of the older knives you find have been over sharpened so much the blade profile has been changed significantly.  Back in the day it was said you needed to have three things to be Special Forces. A demo knife, a Rolex watch, and a star sapphire ring, preferably from a Thailand. I was one for three. ;)

F02DAA3C-ACAC-4275-BF1C-A59E13943428.jpeg

I had to pull mine out and check it sure enough it is dated 1971 the year It was issued to me. And you’re right it never would hold an edge 

Archived