SASS Wire Forum

Wanting To Shoot Again After 20 Years.

Key Lock

Howdy All!

Just read Bronc's article in the Chronicle..... got me thinking I'd like to get back to CAS shooting again myself.

Still got all my guns..... digging out all my gunleather..... still have shirts and vests and hats and boots and such..... had to order some new pants since mine evidently shrunk while in storage.....

Think I last shot a match about 20 years ago..... then did some vending for about 5 years after that.

I'm in the High Desert of SoCal now..... Pinon Hills to be exact..... so I know I have a few great local clubs to shoot with close by.

Printed out the latest Rule Book..... a lot of new categories..... some new shooting rules.....

My question here:

Is there anything major I need to know as far as shooting a match now versus 20 years ago?

Any big changes?

Thanks!

Key Lock

I made a similar return a few years ago. Targets are generally bigger and closer. Long guns are mostly staged horizontal now. Holy smokes these shooters are fast! 

Those are the top three differences I noticed here in the Midwest. Welcome back.

27 minutes ago, War Grizzly said:

I made a similar return a few years ago. Targets are generally bigger and closer. Long guns are mostly staged horizontal now. Holy smokes these shooters are fast! 

Those are the top three differences I noticed here in the Midwest. Welcome back.

Thanks War Grizzly!

27 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Targets are way bigger and closer now. :huh:

You'll have to decide if that's better or not. ;)

OLG

Thanks OLG!..... Since I'm older and slower and my eyes aren't as sharp, I think it will work out well!

14 minutes ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187 said:

Were you Key Lock Saddlery, if so I got a pair of dove wing spur straps from you at Hell on Wheels and I'm still wearing them....  Glad to see you back...

Thanks Wymore!..... Yep, that was me!..... I love to hear that my stuff is still getting used after decades!

I joined SASS in 1998, about the time you quit.  The game has changed; more emphasis on speed, less on pretending to be in a movie.  Review the safety rules and penalties to avoid embarrassment.  Welcome back, have fun!!

There's been some changes as was mentioned but ya know what hasn't changed? The  FUN!!!

16 hours ago, Key Lock said:

Howdy All!

Just read Bronc's article in the Chronicle..... got me thinking I'd like to get back to CAS shooting again myself.

Still got all my guns..... digging out all my gunleather..... still have shirts and vests and hats and boots and such..... had to order some new pants since mine evidently shrunk while in storage.....

Think I last shot a match about 20 years ago..... then did some vending for about 5 years after that.

I'm in the High Desert of SoCal now..... Pinon Hills to be exact..... so I know I have a few great local clubs to shoot with close by.

Printed out the latest Rule Book..... a lot of new categories..... some new shooting rules.....

My question here:

Is there anything major I need to know as far as shooting a match now versus 20 years ago?

Any big changes?

Thanks!

Key Lock

I recommending taking an RO1 class.  There have been many changes with some penalties eliminated.  New black powder subs have been introduced and many shooters now use them.  Overall membership in SASS seems to have declined.  There are still plenty of great matches in the Southwest.  Travel and enjoy them.

54 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I recommending taking an RO1 class.  There have been many changes with some penalties eliminated.  New black powder subs have been introduced and many shooters now use them.  Overall membership in SASS seems to have declined.  There are still plenty of great matches in the Southwest.  Travel and enjoy them.

That's a good idea Edward..... Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Welcome Back !!!

Have Fun !!!

And come on up to Canada and Shoot ...

Jabez Cowboy

Thanks Jabez!

I wasn't around back then so can't speak to the changes, but no doubt you will see some.

My advice would be to go out to have fun, it's not going to be the same as it was, but nothing ever is.  

And of course the age old standard advice.....don't shoot yourself, don't shoot me, and have fun!

Grizz

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Welcome Back!

I started in May 1999, about the time you quit. One thing hasn't changed, the philosophy of "be safe and have fun."

Thank you Allie!

1 hour ago, Grizzly Dave said:

I wasn't around back then so can't speak to the changes, but no doubt you will see some.

My advice would be to go out to have fun, it's not going to be the same as it was, but nothing ever is.  

And of course the age old standard advice.....don't shoot yourself, don't shoot me, and have fun!

Grizz

Thanks Grizz!

As I remember back...... I always had fun at all the shoots..... big or small!

KL-If your are in Pinion Hills-You ain't that far from me.

Check out High Desert Cowboys in Acton.

We shoot the 3rd Sunday at the Desert Marksman Range.

We are an 'old-school' SASS deal with farther-smaller targets.

http://www.desertmarksmen.org/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HighDesertCowboys/

OLG

33 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

KL-If your are in Pinion Hills-You ain't that far from me.

Check out High Desert Cowboys in Acton.

We shoot the 3rd Sunday at the Desert Marksman Range.

We are an 'old-school' SASS deal with farther-smaller targets.

http://www.desertmarksmen.org/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HighDesertCowboys/

OLG

Thanks OLG!..... I never shot in Acton..... That could be fun!

4 minutes ago, Key Lock said:

Thanks OLG!..... I never shot in Acton..... That could be fun!

It's a great club-The club shoots all year. Shoot fee is $10.00 and we go to a great place in Acton after the shoot for a outstanding restaurant, that serves REAL central Mexico style food.

Very nice range-Only $60.00 a yr in m'ship, and you have 24/7/365 access. You can shoot every day out to 600 yds if you want. There's also dry camping on the range.

The range is 4K'(ASL) and has it's own weather station.

My wife:wub: and I shoot there from Fall, to the start of 'heat-season'.

OLG

13 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

It's a great club-The club shoots all year. Shoot fee is $10.00 and we go to a great place in Acton after the shoot for a outstanding restaurant, that serves REAL central Mexico style food.

Very nice range-Only $60.00 a yr in m'ship, and you have 24/7/365 access. You can shoot every day out to 600 yds if you want. There's also dry camping on the range.

The range is 4K'(ASL) and has it's own weather station.

My wife:wub: and I shoot there from Fall, to the start of 'heat-season'.

OLG

That sounds great!..... Thank you for the invite..... I appreciate it!

Hey Keylock - Welcome back. I kinda never left - just slowed down a mite - did mounted shooting for about 15 years or so with sporadic club shoots in between.

I remember you - I think I have a knife sheath or something you made. From back in the EOT days in NOrco, etc. I remember being good quality stuff

13 hours ago, WymoreWrangler SASS 46187 said:

If you still making them, send me a link I'll be looking after the shooting season here...

Very good Wymore..... it's in my Signature.

10 hours ago, Dusty Chaps, SASS #5925 said:

Hey Keylock - Welcome back. I kinda never left - just slowed down a mite - did mounted shooting for about 15 years or so with sporadic club shoots in between.

I remember you - I think I have a knife sheath or something you made. From back in the EOT days in NOrco, etc. I remember being good quality stuff

Thanks Dusty!..... I remember you also!

Archived