SASS Wire Forum

Dean Charlton

Raven Law Dog

Hey Y'all, Need advice on two part question! I joined SASS last Thursday and haven't heard anything from them accept my credit card co acknowledged the charge was made. I can't join local Posse until I have a SASS # and alias. Are they slow, do I have to wait on snail mail or will they eventually email me something?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a rifle for "Classic Cowboy" I don't have to get a second mortgage to buy? I'm just sayin .:o

Thanks y'all, Happy Trails!

@Dean Charlton welcome to the best game there is.

1. It usually takes a week or two for the papers and badge to arrive. You could call the office tomorrow and get your SASS# though.

2. Slow down on the rifle purchase. Go to a match or two and ask questions. There might be a used one at a match.

3. If you're SURE you want to shoot CC, an 1873(Uberti) in 44-40/44WCF is IMO the best option.

I am surprised your local SASS Club demands a current SASS membership to join.  Many clubs are shrinking and need new members.  Talk to the club leadership and explain you paid.  They should welcome you.  BTW, mail from Edgewood goes by ox card to ABQ and then by an open cockpit bi-plane to DFW. :rolleyes:  Once at DFW mail speeds up.

Welcome to S.A.S.S. and sure do hope you will enjoy the game for the rest of your life. It's a lot of fun so just have fun!! 

Don't be in a hurry for anything, except fun, talk with folks that have been around a long time and listen for their advice. It can help and if you get your guns and at a time don't seem like the right one for you, don't worry. Plenty of selling and trading here on the wire and keep looking for what works best for you. Getting your gear is also a lot of fun and shop around. Did I mention HAVE FUN!!!

I'm not sure who you talked to in NC, but I can't imagine that any club wouldn't welcome you to visit and try out a gun or two.  You have two clubs in close proximity to High Point.   You can e-mail me at "buffalocowboy99@gmail.com" and I can get you in contact with the Match Directors in the area.  There are clubs in Salisbury (first Saturday), and Statesville (4'th Saturday).  My home club is the Cross Creek Cowboys in Wagram and we shoot the third Saturday.  It's a bit of a drive from High Point, but we'd be glad to have you visit and not having your SASS membership is not a problem.

You'll hear it often, but don't purchase anything, including clothes, until you've been to a match or two.  If you let the match director know you're coming, they can generally get some guns and leather for you to try.  

Send me an email, and I can get you more info.

Null N. Void

11 hours ago, Dean Charlton said:

I can't join local Posse until I have a SASS # and alias.

I think you may have gotten some bad info.  I can't think of any of our NC clubs that require a SASS membership to shoot locally.  But you're on board, Welcome!!  Call the SASS office tomorrow, they'll give you your SASS number.  Come on out and let us put some guns in your hands to try!

I'll check better on their site, they had it on the application to join, but I may have misunderstood, thinking it was required. Thanks for the input! Dean

Welcome to the Range!  If you have more than one club in your area, go and try out as many as you can before you decide to just join one.  You may find different attitudes, temperament, opinions, and other things that either fit in or go against your own personality.  You may decide you want to join all of them--and that's okay too (you get to shoot more that way!)

Archived