SASS Wire Forum

FIX for single trigger Stoeger doubling problem

My single trigger Stoeger Supreme started to “double” on me after using it problem free for five or six years.  I bought it used so don’t know how old it is.  Over the years it had doubled a couple of times with others shooting it, but never with me.  I had attributed the doubling to the shooter using a rifle type squeeze on the trigger allowing the trigger to move away momentarily from the finger, reset and re-engaging as the gun bounced back off the shoulder.

Mine wasn’t doing that.  It would double even when I pulled the trigger hard and made sure I didn’t relax my grip.

Since I couldn’t find any recommended fixes, I had to try something: So -

After taking the stock off and checking out the mechanis, I came up with a probable solution.  The sears are operated by two arms that extend back to the trigger.  The trigger actuated the right sear arm directly for the right barrel.  The left sear arm is actuated by a spring loaded block that only can reach the sear arm after the right one is out of the way and the trigger released and pulled again.  

The spring loaded block can then engage a notch on the sear arm and release the sear.  It appeared that the coil spring that held the block against the sear arm was weak, allowing the block to bounce and hit the sear arm hard enough to release the sear firing the second barrel in quick succession after the first.

i have a “mini-spring” assortment from Brownells and replaced the spring with a #14  spring from the assortment, cut just enough to still allow it to be compressed enough to get the block back into the gun.  Only one roll pin had to be removed to get the part out.  It was easy to put back in.

I don’t know if this will work every time on every gun, but it worked on mine.

1 hour ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

Thanks, Sam.  Very helpful.

I have an old Riverside single trigger that sometimes doubles and I may be able to use that idea to fix it.

A model 315?

I had that same trouble with a Stoeger Uplander, single trigger. The gunsmith cut the sears about .015" deeper, still occasionally doubled. then I went to lighter loads and no more problem. Apparently I wasnt tight enough on the shoulder allowing a slight release of the trigger and reapplication causing the second discharge . Jersey Bratt shoots the gun now with no problems.

Imis

Archived