SASS Wire Forum

Maybe I am loosing it....

I do crossword puzzles for fun.

There are times when the answer comes quickly and turns out to be right.

This morning was different.

My brain must have been on vacation as my initial answers to the following two clues were off the wall.

Clue number 1: What many a thoroughbred becomes. 4 letters

My initial guess: glue :blink:

Upon further thought: stud :)

Clue number 2: Locker room sprinkle. 4 letters

My initial guess: pees :o

Upon further thought: talc ;)

Obviously I was not on the same thought process as the crossword puzzle creator! :wacko:

47 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

I do crossword puzzles for fun.

There are times when the answer comes quickly and turns out to be right.

This morning was different.

My brain must have been on vacation as my initial answers to the following two clues were off the wall.

Clue number 1: What many a thoroughbred becomes. 4 letters

My initial guess: glue :blink:

Upon further thought: stud :)

Clue number 2: Locker room sprinkle. 4 letters

My initial guess: pees :o

Upon further thought: talc ;)

Obviously I was not on the same thought process as the crossword puzzle creator! :wacko:

Okay, you told us your initial guesses and your “upon further thoughts”.  Were any of them correct?

21 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Okay, you told us your initial guesses and your “upon further thoughts”.  Were any of them correct?

Both further thought answers were the correct ones.

1 hour ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

LOL! I did that same puzzle and got them right. Must have been written by a woman. ;)

I do one crossword and several Beach Sudoku every day. Are the puzzles you do on The Washington Post?

Ms Allie Mo,

They appear in the local paper,  but may be syndicated by a larger publisher such as the WP.

41 minutes ago, MizPete said:

I like cryptics.  Not good at them, but I like them.

Me too.  Try to do them without pencil and paper for a real challenge! :D

I used to love doing crossword puzzles. Nowadays I can’t seem to find any that sensibly challenge me. It’s almost as if all the great puzzle creators died and their immature off-spring took over.

For was example NY Times puzzles used to kick my butt, mostly because they slipped clues in only a New Yorker would know. I would say my completion rate was 50%. That’s not great but considering I did LA Times crosswords at a 99% completion rate I felt I was doing pretty good.

Two weeks ago I did a NY Times crossword puzzle in 8 minutes!

There is something seriously wrong with that. Either I got real smart or The NY Times hired a couple of Stoners to create their puzzles...I don’t feel much smarter so I am going with the latter.

LA Times puzzles just plain suck nowadays. I am pretty sure they got some brainwashed high schoolers to do these now.

Sudoku? Not my thing at all. Never cared for it. 

11 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

LOL! I did that same puzzle and got them right. Must have been written by a woman. ;)

I do one crossword and several Beach Sudoku every day. Are the puzzles you do on The Washington Post?

I wouldn't know.  I'd as soon cut my legs off with wooden spoon as read the Washington anydangthing.

I like the Jumble, but we no longer take the Leftist rag where it is published.

Just for fun, I wrote a computer program to calculate all the N-prime combinations, cull out the duplicates, cull all the illegal letter combinations, then beat the results against the Scrabble dictionary.

Each additional letter adds a huge amount to the number of permutations.
"Abandonment" has 39,916,800 possible combinations of these 11 letters.

Most of the time I can get the word.
Every now and then, I resort to my program.

On 7/13/2019 at 11:22 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Two weeks ago I did a NY Times crossword puzzle in 8 minutes

Used to be that the NY Times puzzles got progressively more difficult Monday through Friday with the Sunday magazine puzzle the most difficult, although not as difficult as the London Times puzzles.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:59 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I wouldn't know.  I'd as soon cut my legs off with wooden spoon as read the Washington anydangthing.

Bingo!

16 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Used to be that the NY Times puzzles got progressively more difficult Monday through Friday with the Sunday magazine puzzle the most difficult, although not as difficult as the London Times puzzles.

This one was in an American Airlines magazine. So I am sure it was a Monday puzzle but it was even too easy for a Monday puzzle.

Archived