SASS Wire Forum

22 Henry for Buckaroo Class

bgavin

Henry makes both a Lever and a Pump in 22LR octagon barrel.

Q: are either of these legal for the Buckaroo youth class?

Q: is one preferable over the other for reliability?

The lever is for sure legal. If you get the youth model, you can get a full size stock later for it.  Henry sent one to us for no charge when I called to order one.  

Shooter Handbook page 40

Rifles or carbines used in the main and team matches must be original or replicas of lever or slide action rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899, incorporating a tubular magazine and exposed hammer.

Desert Scorpion used a 22 pump Rossi for a short time when she was still shooting Buckarette. 

Perfectly legal and plenty reliable.

The Henry is just as well.

Still use it as our 22 side match rifle (with different stock) when events allow for it.

You can send the lever Henry to Widder for his magic.

Henry .22 lever rifles are very nice.   They are reliable and relatively smooth from the factory.

A BIG plus is the variety of Models you can get.   If you buy the lowest priced, round barrel

model or the higher priced, octagon barreled, fancy finished model, they are all the same under the hood.

The .22 LR models can be short stroked to lessen the lever arch approx 1.25".

The magnum models can't be short stroked, but can be somewhat slicked up.

NOTE:  slicking and smoothing and short stroking IS NOT necessary for the Henry .22 lever rifle

to function good and as I stated above, they feel pretty good from the factory.

But they can be enhanced, if you know what I mean.

..........Widder

I have decided on the H001T Frontier with the octagon barrel.
This will be a nice trainer at the range... low shooting cost, low recoil, still a lever gun.

The grandson is only 2 years old.. it will be awhile before he grows into it.
I'll start him with the Henry, and a pair of Single-Six Bisley 22LR.
Hopefully one of the grandkids will take an interest in shooting instead of Phone.

thats where i went far sooner than you and yes i am finally seeing interest by the little rascals after being patient for all these years , it is a rewarding thing when they want to shoot with you even if only getting started at a quiet venue , now to get to a match 

Bud's told me via Chat that the 22 is illegal in CA because it has a 16 round capacity.

As it turns out, CA Penal Code S.16740 spells it out point blank, that all tube magazines and 22 lever guns are legal.

I'm not trying to change your mind, but I'll share my experience bringing up two buckaroos in CAS.  The octagonal barreled Henry's weigh substantially more, and even worse that weight is out on the end of the gun. Small framed short armed young buckaroos can be challenged by the weight.  If you watch videos you'll see them leaning backwards when they shoot trying to counter all that weight out at the end of the gun.  Both mine have shot youth model round barreled Henrys. 6.25 lbs vs 4.5 lbs.  Big difference.

NP.
The grandson is only 2 1/2 years old... we plan to use that Henry and a pair of Bisley Single-Six as "trainers" for ourselves at the cowboy town when no matches are in progress.

I have less than a 50/50 chance he will have any interest in CAS at all, so a youth model would be wasted.

As noobs, we need to practice flow, transition, and all that.
The weight, length and barrel is the same as our 1894CB.
The Bisleys are very close to our Vaqueros.

22LR is cheap and plentiful... for lots of good practice of the rules and forms.

The Henry will be released to me before the end of July.
Sad to say.. it will be 90 days for the three hand guns currently tied up by CA at the FFL.

bgavin,

seriously, you have my sympathy.

Here in TN, and in a good many other states, the background checks are done instantly..... as in 5 minutes of less.

The buyer walks out with the firearm.

There's always a house for sale in TN for anyone who enjoys our 2nd A rights.

..........Widder

We put together a big chunk of cash, looked at over 70 properties in Prescott AZ, and NV.
Cannot find 4-bed, 3-car, shop or basement, under $600k.  Closer to $1M.
The few we could find have $100/mo HOA fees and HOA Nazis.  Deal breakers.
The few others were under the airport take-off path or 400v power lines.  Deal breakers.

I"m not getting any younger, and the prospect of me dropping dead and stranding my wife so far from the daughters is not appealing to her.
I have a close friend who tried the TN thing... 3 years there, he found out if you haven't lived there for the last 200 years, you are an outsider.

I figure I have 15 ~17years left to live.
Relocating and starting over at this point is a rough road.
A Remington V3 might be in my future, but otherwise I'm done after this round of waiting periods.

The crime here is the real problem, not the gun waiting periods.
We are turning into the Road Warrior here, but we have no Mad Max.
Squalor and lawlessness is everywhere here.

10 hours ago, bgavin said:

We put together a big chunk of cash, looked at over 70 properties in Prescott AZ, and NV.
Cannot find 4-bed, 3-car, shop or basement, under $600k.  Closer to $1M.
The few we could find have $100/mo HOA fees and HOA Nazis.  Deal breakers.
The few others were under the airport take-off path or 400v power lines.  Deal breakers.

With all due respect; I'm not sure where you are looking.  I live in Green Valley;  Las Vegas, 2300 sq ft. 4 bedroom 3 bath house on a half acre lot (large for LV, not for the rest of the country, but still plenty of room for shop, garage, pool, etc ) $350k all day long for mine or comparable.  No HOA in older neighborhoods.

My gunshop - Parents home is in Pahrump NV (50 miles outside LV); 3 bedroom house, 2.5 acre lot - our gunshop and 6 car pole barn is on the same property.  350k+ there will get you a McMansion, shop, garage and plenty of room. 

Choose your Homesite well and be backed up against a mountain and enjoy your personal shooting range.  No Nazis, no HOA.

I have criteria for firearm-friendly, air quality, water quality, low cancer rates, a Masonic lodge, smaller town and at least 10 degrees cooler than Sacramento.

I have 239 cities cataloged with the above criteria points.
Only 52 meet my air quality requirements, and 15 of those are still in CA.

The areas that filter through my requirements in NV are Carson City, Minden and Gardnerville and Prescott AZ.

There are also two cities in CO, and 1 area in ID, and 4 in WY.
Neither of us want that amount of snow and cold.

CO is a Blue state, so that state is off the list.
NV is edging ever-closer to Blue with all their baloney new gun laws.. this is a real pity.

13 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

bgavin,

seriously, you have my sympathy.

Here in TN, and in a good many other states, the background checks are done instantly..... as in 5 minutes of less.

The buyer walks out with the firearm.

There's always a house for sale in TN for anyone who enjoys our 2nd A rights.

..........Widder

Here in West Virginia, if you have a State issued Concealed Carry Permit, the seller/FFL does not even have to contact the ATF or FBI for a background check.  The state issued permit is all that is required for the Background Check.

Of course, in West Virginia, we have an Open Carry Law which allows carrying a firearm without requiring any permit.

Archived