SASS Wire Forum

Walmart will stop gun sales in New Mexico over background check laws

Charlie T Waite

I can't blame WalMart in this instance!  While it is counterproductive for gun owners, the costs of training personnel, providing security, and added essential paperwork and employee time isn't profitable enough to justify the expense!  Sadly, this effectively accomplishes what the antis are wanting!  If the citizens of New Mexico more highly valued their Constitutional rights, perhaps they should have worked harder to prevent these politicos from being elected!!

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF WHY YOU SHOULD GET OUT AND VOTE and prod, poke, and otherwise encourage those of a like mind to do the same

Blackwater is 100% correct in his synopsis here. Well stated, Sir.

Here is a perfect example of politics directly affecting business manifesting itself into a loss of freedom to the people. Exactly the result the left wants. We'll see more of this.

Well ... IMHO ... they screwed up SB 8 ... In the final wording they said "any FFL may not unreasonably refuse" to do these checks ... instead of allowing it to be optional.

It will probably been a boon for home based neighborhood FFLs ... (which I suspect catch a good share of regular incoming transfers anyhow).

There are a lot of exclusions (family members etc) ... and conviction for non-compliance is a misdemeanor. 

AND ... there must be "consideration" involved in the exchange/transfer of the firearm.

It appears you could simply "give" a gun to someone you don't know ... for free ... and no background check is required. I wonder if there will "really" be any enforcement (like raiding the "for sale table" at the monthly local Cowboy shoot??). 

Now ... w/ the firearm serial number on the 4473 ... that might impact the ease to unload a stolen gun ... but then .. if the seller knew it was stolen they wouldn't participate in a background check anyhow.  

https://nmlegis.gov/Legislation/Legislation?Chamber=S&LegType=B&LegNo=8&year=19

Archived