SASS Wire Forum

July just ain’t my month...

Pat Riot

Hate it for ya', brother!!  Healing up is bad enough, but then you gotta' get the scoot repaired!!  Classic "insult to injury" !

I never split lanes, even when I traveled in California years ago!!  Always figured some smartass would award me a "door prize"!!  Never was in that big of a hurry that I couldn't wait my turn.  I also won't share a lane with another bike!!  I've had to avoid accidents from every direction in the 50+ years of my motorcycling career!!  I wanna' be able to go in ANY direction in an instant!!  Keep your interval and don't crowd!!  I don't even like to drive side by side when I'm in a cage, (vehicle other than a motorcycle)!!  Leave me a way out in ANY situation!!

Get well fast!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha!  He's awake!  Made it through the night...  :lol:

Dude ~ I reckon you're a mite sore and stiff this mornin'...  we're feelin' for ya.   :(

Recover fast, Pat. Like the others said, as fun as bikes are it's too darn dangerous in this country as it seems drivers never see them. There have actually been two deaths just on the street right outside where I live. One of them was a motorcycle cop.

11 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Good Lord, Pat!  :huh:

No way did you deserve this.

So... any idea how long you're in for?  Status of the bike?  Uh... gee, did this make the gal miss her latté...?  raised-eyebrow.gif

Hardpan, they are releasing me today. I passed the overnight stay with flying colors...you know, purple, red, blue all mixed together in certain areas of my body. :D

I don’t know if she missed her latte but perhaps she should have a a coffee before driving. Might have made her mor alert.

Thank you, Hardpan.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

About time you showed up :excl:

All it took was for Pat to fall off his bike, again..........:D

Stick around! 

OLG

If I would have this what it took to get Kit back on here I would have done this weeks ago...Oh Wait...:P

Glad you are back Father Kit Cool Gun Garth.:D

Look what someone sent me this morning. They found these on Instagram. There is a group on Instagram/Facebook that posts about motorcycle crashes in California. They post them so that someone goes down a friend or acquaintance might see the posts.

9D88BEB9-A427-4B1B-BAD6-707205273E02.thumb.jpeg.4eb4360b3c8ed5ab873f0f96d6af111e.jpegCB1EA7AA-5BEA-4D67-8233-2DE4A71A44DD.thumb.jpeg.9b459d78fe6c3b1c75326d9756fdee4b.jpeg

That’s me lying on the ground and my bike the one you see to the right. The lady in the white tee shirt is who I ran into, so Yes, OLG, she stuck around. These shots were taken almost immediately after the crash. The guy in the orange tee shirt was very helpful and kept asking questions to keep me focused. He said he was fully trained in CPR, first aid and trauma first aid. 

If you expand the picture you can see the damage to her car. My front wheel / fork / fender hit the back right rear quarter panel.  The damage to the bumper and trunk was from the bike falling left into the car. I hit the trunk ledge sideways. That is what I think broke my ribs. Then I bounced off the trunk and ragdolled it to a graceful knock the wind out of you finish in the position you see me in there in the photo.

I have all of this on video, I hope. I have a Sena 10C Pro Bluetooth Camera mounted on the side of my helmet. I haven’t been able to download the video yet. The camera appears to be intact. 

The thing that that bugs me is I had my high beam, low beam and the 2 LED driving lights on and she still didn’t see me. The lights aren’t on in this photo but it shows the from lights. 

C5900354-B5C1-4CD1-8E38-8EF0AA83831B.thumb.jpeg.ab5aa6996cc292d9747d18d4b7665797.jpeg

I went out to L.A. a few years ago to visit my son.  I saw lane splitting for the first time and that just looked so dangerous.  Just driving on I-405 in a rental car was enough adventure for me.  Those people are crazy.  Hope you heal up soon.  

Motorcycle rider = invisible

Most drivers are oblivious!!

No need to open up the murdercycle subject. Just hope you get recovered soon and no permanent damage.

Hoping a speedy recovery pard. Had the same thing happen to me in May of 2012 and 2013. The second one took me out for 9 months. God's blessing my friend.

Being a rider and having lost friends, glad you are going to get better. Prayers for healing and hang in there. 

Best wishes on your recovery, Pat.

I'd love to still be riding but I figgered traffic just ain't worth the risk.

Get well soon!

4 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

So sorry Pat! It is wonderful you were released from the hospital quickly. Heck, go ahead with the wrist surgery. One pain pill can cover all your aches at once. :unsure: 

Ah, that would be a great idea except I found out (the hard way) this morning that I have also broken me left clavicle. :blink:

Last night sitting in my hospital bed my left shoulder was throbbing. As I rubbed it I notice part of the clavicle moved while the other part didn’t. I thought “damn, I have broken my shoulder torsion bar” (a little humor to lighten my mood.

This morning the nurse verified that it was in fact broken. Apparently, the doctor overlooked telling me about it. So I thought my shoulder pain was from bruised bones, which they are, but the clavicle is also broken.

Getting up and down is an outright PITA...and ribs, and back, and feet, and...

So, my bad arm is now my good arm.

I hav to laugh about it, otherwise I would cry.

I was closely looking at the photos of my bike. It appears the rear frame is bent. I hope that doesn’t make it a total loss. I love that bike.

Thank you all so much for your well wishes and prayers. It makes me feel good and I appreciate that very much.

Oh, and I am home now. You should have seen me trying to get out of my easy chair. I looked like a grimacing upside down turtle, I am sure. And boy does it ever hurt. Pain is life. I am alive! And that my friends is reason enough to laugh at the pain. :D

:ph34r:  I'll add my best wishes and prayers for speedy recovery. 

Done that, been there.......  the 2 lb. bag of frozen peas or corn was my friend.  Ice bags were a leaky problem, and the frozen veggies conformed better to the offended portions of my anatomy.  Raw, real pineapple was helpful for the contusions and bruises.

The bromelain enzyme helps.  Can also be augmented with capsules. 

Keep us posted on your progress.

I think I have posted this before but perhaps it bears repeating.  My Dad, a LEO, never said much about the guys I dated.  One day he came home to find a bigass BSA in the front yard.   He walked in, put his cars keys in the guy's hand, and said "son, don't you ever put my daughter on that motorcycle."  He didn't.  Ever.

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was closely looking at the photos of my bike. It appears the rear frame is bent. I hope that doesn’t make it a total loss. I love that bike.

You know the new Versys 1000s have cruise control? 

12 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

It seems like if we aren't in pain, we don't know that we're alive. :o:mellow:

I hope you heal quickly! :wub: ya and you know it! You are a BFF!

Awe Shucks :wub:

Thank you. :)

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Pat,

Let's not forget who misses you the most....:wub:

2019_07_13_08_49_16.jpg.421e01e6e5d3f15731638705f330cd1a.jpg

That’s hilarious...it’s good to have you back, Kit.

Thank you.

I am headed to the impound yard to see my bike and get it towed home today. These guys are charging me $265 for the tow from the accident scene to the yard and $68 per day storage. No doubt they will charge 3 days from Thursday to Saturday. 

Well, I guess they did have to rescue it from the center of a very busy freeway. I’ll not complain. It is what it is.

2 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

You know the new Versys 1000s have cruise control? 

Yes, they are very nice...and priced accordingly. 

The one with cruise control is $18K.

https://m.kawasaki.com/product/details/2019-Versys-1000-SE-LT-Plus?cm_re=MPP-_-PRODUCTTRIMLIST-_-VEHICLEDETAILS

For that kind of money why not this :D

https://m.kawasaki.com/product/details/2019-Concours-14-ABS?cm_re=MPP-_-PRODUCTTRIMLIST-_-VEHICLEDETAILS

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I felt the Connie was too heavy overall, top heavy in particular, and hot when compared to my FJR.

The FJR is a solid motorcycle as well. Traded it for a H-D Electra Glide Ultra Classic in 2013. Realized what a mistake that was and traded the H-D on my current BMW R1200GSA. 

48 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

I felt the Connie was too heavy overall, top heavy in particular, and hot when compared to my FJR.

The FJR is a solid motorcycle as well. Traded it for a H-D Electra Glide Ultra Classic in 2013. Realized what a mistake that was and traded the H-D on my current BMW R1200GSA. 

Good info. Thanks very much. 

I read about the FJR in a comparison between the Concours, the FJR and a Honda that I cannot remember the designation for. The FJR did get better marks than the Concours.

Pard, best wishes for a speedy recovery!  Depending on the part of the country you ride in, you might want to see if anyone has a spare...SHERMAN TANK for sale!  That would definitely include Colorado, especially metro-Denver!  Bad reports all the time,  and I once saw the results of a motorcycle colliding with a deer!  Not good! :(

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Good info. Thanks very much. 

I read about the FJR in a comparison between the Concours, the FJR and a Honda that I cannot remember the designation for. The FJR did get better marks than the Concours.

The Honda would be the ST1300 - discontinued but there were a few in this year's IBR and also very reliable (though heavy).

If the weight of the FJR isn't an issue to you (about 650 lbs IIRC) I would recommend looking for a slightly used model.

Keep the fluids changed and they're all but indestructible.

Cruise control became available on the 2013 models.

2 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

Jasper and crew says “get better”!

Thanks Wapaloosie. I love mules. They just don’t Go fast enough for my needs:D 

We got my bike towed. It turns out the frame is not damaged. It just must have been the angle of the photo. It basically has a bunch of front end cosmetic damage. I couldn’t figure out why there was no road rash on the rear left side until I realized that my legs we under the bike when we came to rest. My knees and toes are what got damaged. 

I figure the damage will be around $1500. 

Best set of all, they won’t be “totaling” my bike. :D

It just needs some TLC. :wub:

And a bath...and some wax..,

9BD796F3-F13A-47DB-A143-F3F1AE5C8CE6.thumb.jpeg.d8800d615aa7e48cd0aea4c198e4ca32.jpegAC8633D9-4492-4B32-8B38-BED399C88610.thumb.jpeg.4f16f85894f0925dfda77ef39d6008ed.jpeg12E3592D-76BE-4A1B-B5D3-33CCD3529A5C.thumb.jpeg.2b5565ad37f9f6dff911bf5a6ae0960c.jpeg66E3B007-E616-466D-8BA9-124383C978CB.thumb.jpeg.0b9c9c40d75fb23c2e99ea02e6783fd6.jpeg

Archived