SASS Wire Forum

July just ain’t my month...

Pat Riot

2 years ago, 7-17-17, I crashed my motorcycle and was laid up for 6 weeks. I crashed because an 86 year old man who should not have been driving pulled out in front of me.

Well, I am typing this on my iPhone at 10:15 pm from my hospital bed at St. Francis Hospital in Lynwood, CA.

Today at 2:10 pm I encountered another oblivious person. I was lane splitting on the 105 freeway. I was doing about 35mpg. Traffic was at around  20-25mph. I had just passed a construction truck and was coming up on a blue car. The car did what call a lane fake (someone trying to decide if they are going to try to get over) but the car continued straight. As I got about a car length behind her (I could see her in her right side mirror looking forward) she snapped her head to the right and turns to change lanes. 

I laid on the front and rear brakes. I felt the anti locks kick in. As I was crashing into her car she veered to stay in the lane she was in.

I imitated a rag doll for a few yards and came to a hard rest on my side with the wind knocked out of me.

I am keeping this short as the pain meds are doing a number in my concentration. 

So, I am sitting in a hospital bed with 4 broken ribs that are fractured next to my spine right where I fractured s vertebrae a few years back. 2 or 3 of those ribs are also fractured at the outside curve of my rib cage. I had a 4 cm cut on my calf that was 2 cm deep. My left shoulder (the one with no cartilage) had bruised bones and my scapula aches, probably from impacting and breaking my ribs. I have road rash on my knees. My left big toe is broken and the sole of my right foot in bruised. My body hurts all over. Luckily nothing else got damaged.

My bike is somewhere at an impound or towing company. I missed my pre-op appointment with my doctor who was going to do my wrist surgery next Friday. I am thirsty and hungry and some guy down the hall has been yelling for a nurse since I got to this room at around 6 pm.

It seems like every other July I get hurt or something bad happens somehow. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may not be the right moment, but you know what nurses call bike riders?  Organ donors.

All the very best for a speedy recovery.

No! I’m so so sorry Pat! My prayers and thoughts are with you! 

I got a mule you can ride in the future! It would have just hopped up on that car and did a insurance tap dance to the tune of a few thousand dollars! That’ll learn em!

If you need anything give a holler.

4 minutes ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

No! I’m so so sorry Pat! My prayers and thoughts are with you! 

I got a mule you can ride in the future! It would have just hopped up on that car and did a insurance tap dance to the tune of a few thousand dollars! That’ll learn em!

If you need anything give a holler.

Thank you. I do appreciate it.

What’s the mule’s name? :D

6 minutes ago, MizPete said:

This may not be the right moment, but you know what nurses call bike riders?  Organ donors.

All the very best for a speedy recovery.

Thank you Miz Pete. Yeah, I know about the “donor cycles” moniker. 

The EMTs told me my leather and helmet saved my bacon. I always wear leather with armor (heavy pads) my full face modular helmet and my Bates boots. I kind of wish I could handle wearing the Kevlar pants with pant but those things are just too uncomfortable and hot.

Good Lord, Pat!  :huh:

No way did you deserve this.

So... any idea how long you're in for?  Status of the bike?  Uh... gee, did this make the gal miss her latté...?  raised-eyebrow.gif

Wow! Sorry about your injuries....sounds like you had better stick to 4 wheels and lots of steel surrounding your body. Get well soon.

Dang!  I hope that your recovery is rapid and complete.  It ain't no fun to have all those broken bones, not to mention the other injuries.

We will pray for you.

Duffield

17 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Get well soon. Starting next July you will be required to wear bubble wrap for the month

I say next July we chain him to a wall...in bubble wrap.....he can be let loose Aug. 1......

Sorry to hear of yout accident and hope your recovery goes well .

I haven't rode a motorcycle in years  between a fused ankle and bad shoulders .

I never did this lane splitting you speak of . With the drivers on the road then and now why would you ?

Even if  this legal to do .  The smaller vehicle always looses . 

Back when I was still working our Engine was called out to flush the Remains off the pavement after the mortorcycle rider and semi truck duals meet 

get well soon 

This is the reason I haven't rode a motorcycle in 25 years or more! Just too damn dangerous!

That said, wishing for a speedy recovery!!;)

I feel your pain. Quite literally. In spring of 2002 I was biking home after watching the kids play a soccer game. I used to ride Enduro runs in my late teens ( 60 or so miles through woods/fields/whatever, must keep on time with checkpoints and stash gas along the way) so I always "leathered up" for a bike ride. And spent more for a good Shoei helmet to protect my alleged brain.  A female driver (not a dig, just the facts) made a left turn in front of me in broad daylight. My choices were to hit her head on, go right and hit parked cars, or go left into oncoming traffic. I locked the rear brake and laid the bike down. Leather jacket had the entire right sleeve shredded, helmet took a good hit on the right temple area. Coat was a Christmas gift from Shortcake ( sorry, honey). I rolled for a while on the pavement and stopped sitting up (Robert Blake style, ElectraGlide in Blue). I got up to check my bike. Folks from a bar ran out and told me not to move and lay down (I should know that by now). Slight crack to a neck vertibrae, did not lose a drop of blood due to leather coat, gloves, jacket and heavy jeans. Kept overnight for observation and sent home the next day. Right shoulder mild separation, that reminds me when it is going to rain, and has become arthritic sooner than later. I was down for almost 6 months.

My advice; do what the Docs say and rest all you can. After you hit the big 30 b-day, you just don't heal fast. Nature has it's own schedule of healing and it can't be rushed. Read a good book (or better yet, write one that we can read) and your SASS pards will be backing you with kind thoughts, prayers, reflections and all that is good to get you back on track.

Best wishes on your recovery.

LDD

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you Miz Pete. Yeah, I know about the “donor cycles” moniker. 

The EMTs told me my leather and helmet saved my bacon. I always wear leather with armor (heavy pads) my full face modular helmet and my Bates boots. I kind of wish I could handle wearing the Kevlar pants with pant but those things are just too uncomfortable and hot.

Sorry to read this. 

Glad you were wearing good gear. 

I wear mesh overpants (knee and hip armor) when it's too hot for my Aerostich.

Was in San Diego two weeks ago and saw lane splitters.  Just like open carry - I support it but it ain't for me. 

Praying for a quick and complete healing for you.

Guess you won’t be shooting with us at The Cowboys match in a couple of weeks.:(. Get well soon and maybe it’s time to think about the three wheeled model:P.

File that under "S" for "Scares me and I'm fearless!"
Second the notion that we're grateful for your helmet and leathers!
I'll be standing up on my Prayer Bones for your healing!
(Wondering if the mule's name is Ophelia ... probably not ...)

18 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

File that under "S" for "Scares me and I'm fearless!"
Second the notion that we're grateful for your helmet and leathers!
I'll be standing up on my Prayer Bones for your healing!
(Wondering if the mule's name is Ophelia ... probably not ...)

Linn:

Maybe you could give Pat riding lessons! :P:D

Pat:

That was such a scary retell of your accident.

I was afraid that would be the result.

Prayers up for a speedy recovery.

In your current condition, drugs are a good thing.

Get well, and keep us informed as to your progress.

2 minutes ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Linn:

Maybe you could give Pat riding lessons! :P:D

About time you showed up :excl:

All it took was for Pat to fall off his bike, again..........:D

Stick around! 

OLG

I'm sorry to hear you got smashed up again.

Here in Sacramento (and San Diego) the number of bike accidents is breath-takingly high.
Many of these are oblivious drivers who turn in front of hard to see bikes, like a 900 pound Road King with three bright headlights.
The resulting T-Bone destroys the bike, trashes the rider and gets "I'm sorry" from the oblivious driver.

For me personally, I am viewing this is a Wake-Up call from God.
My nicest, most dear, and now my last, Sportster is going up for sale before I also get trashed.

Well that sucks.  Sorry to hear of your misfortune.  I laid a bike down once.  Woman started to pull away from a stop sign in front of me.  I locked up the brakes and started to slide.  That is when she saw me and stopped.  I enunciated a number of curses at her but she couldn't hear me through my helmet.  I picked up my bike and rode on to work to deal with my torn pants and road rash.  Nothing like you had or have experienced.  I sold the bike and bought a roadster.  It doesn't tip over.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

This is the reason I haven't rode a motorcycle in 25 years or more! Just too damn dangerous!

That said, wishing for a speedy recovery!!;)

I was last on a motorcycle in 1966.  Ended up between a three wheel Japanese truck and an Okinawan corrugated steel guard rail and decided to get something that would wrap around me a bit.  Sports cars are as much fun and a lot more stable and protective.

Get better soon.

Pat,

Like you ,I've been riding for a long time(middle of the last century),and I've  had a few run ins with the 4 wheel crowd.All of them were credited to the other drivers ,most of them were left turn caused accidents.I always maintained all drivers should spend a minimum of a year riding a motorcycle exclusively. That's one very good way to make better drivers or cull the herd of the worst ones.

Wish you a speedy recovery ac nd that all works out well for you

Choctaw Jack 

I was an excellent rider. But I had to share the road with people who were horrible drivers who I could not control.Gave it up when my wife got pregnant so she wouldn’t be a single mom. Get well soon.

Archived