SASS Wire Forum

New Fault?

Subdeacon Joe

https://laist.com/2019/07/11/ridgecrest_earthquake_little_lake_undiscovered_fault.php?fbclid=IwAR1MgpvwbTR-XlHTTr6fLVbFujCeJXwa_6-_qUU7TwZDnRio6ezkX_V23yI

Given Southern California's history of quakes, the unrelenting media coverage every time the ground moves, and all the premier research institutions based here, you might assume we know everything about earthquakes.

But, as the two massive earthquakes near Ridgecrest showed us last week, there's clearly more to learn.

The Little Lake fault zone — where the two quakes took place — wasn't on many lists as a top contender for a big rupture. Then, the re-rupture of the same fault just a day later caught even scientists off guard. On top of that, that re-repture might have revealed a whole new fault.

Scientists are busy prowling around the Mojave Desert looking for revelations large and small right now, but here's some of what they've already figured out — and what they haven't.

WE MAY HAVE JUST FOUND A NEW FAULT LINE

Before the massive earthquake in Ridgecrest, scientists didn't know about the roughly 30-mile long continuous, straight, fault that looks like it runs right through the region.

"The maps of faults we had prior to the event show a whole bunch of little sections, but not exactly this huge, long throughgoing fault that seems to have ruptured," said Morgan Page, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey. "We're not really sure why this wasn't in the maps and how this fault could link up with other faults that we do know about in the area."

5d2654bfb9f2d5000908faee-eight.jpg

Red arrow is the San Andreas fault. Blue arrows are the Garlock fault. Red circle is the Eastern California Shear Zone. The blue circle is where the earthquakes were. Little orange lines are the faults. (Jacob Margolis)

31 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

They should have had a battalion of ex-wives looking for the fault.

Oh, HECK no!  Thay'd all say it was MY fault!   :o

Well, Wasn't It?

You're there!

YOU must have had something to do with it!!

Great name for a town. New Fault, CA. A planned community.

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

They should have had a battalion of ex-wives looking for the fault.

You can throw my ex husband into that mix.   Maybe he could find someone else to fault, besides his drinking.

:ph34r: 

9 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Speaking of faults, a 4.6 rattler shook me awake last night here in the Seattle area. Something tells me the entire west coast is about to slide into the sea... :blink:

Well, if it happens when Nancy Pelosi is at home, it might be worth it......

Archived