SASS Wire Forum

Please Lower Your Sails and Prepare to be Boarded

Subdeacon Joe

9 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm guessing that the hatch isn't watertight.

I do not know what the street value of 16000 lbs of cocaine is? But one would think that designing a water proof hatch might be a priority?

:D

15 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm guessing that the hatch isn't watertight.

They are disposable submarines made for a one way haul.  The fit and finish of seals, the ballast tanks, nav systems are not as good as the economy commercial models.  There was even a smuggler who was captured after running the sub into the ocean floor.

The drug packaging is made to be airtight already so the seal integrity/fresh air system of the sub is not as critical.

From what I have read elsewhere. Some of these subs are home built of fiberglass. They cannot withstand the pressures of complete submersion to an significant depth. Their intent is present a nearly invisible radar target. Thereby avoiding detection. Cheap and dirty, the crew is expendable.

Remember the “Hunley” a Civil War Submarine didn’t really submerge. It had the access hatch above water just as the one pictured in the video. I believe the Hunley was of riveted steal construction and powered by a number of men either pedaling like on a bicycle or turning a hand crank (can’t remember which).

Also WWII subs ran on battery power when submerged unless they could put a snorkel up to get fresh air to run the engines. Otherwise you had a lot of CO2 or CO to kill the crew.

SD Joe, 

Thanks for finding that. The Hunley was recovered and in being examined and preserved in South Carolina near Charleston. 

Good job, Coasties! :FlagAm:

I would've liked to see the rest of this bust.

Interesting that they pixellated the sub sailor's faces.  raised-eyebrow.gif

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I would've liked to see the rest of this bust.

Interesting that they pixellated the sub sailor's faces.  raised-eyebrow.gif

We have to protect illegals and criminals don't cha know!

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

We have to protect illegals and criminals don't cha know!

Well you’re not an illegal until you step on us soil. 

Th3 reason to blur his face is that he may be valuable in giving info on the cartel.

They’re more like the Monitor than a submarine. Fortunately, they don’t have gun turrets,

32 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

as was once explained to me:  from time to time subs to NOT come to the surface

Paratroopers always come down.  Plus the view is a heck of a lot better

I understand they have great chow though. ;)

58 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I understand they have great chow though. ;)

UB,

That all depends on the Chief Cook. In the late 60’s the Navy had a supply system called 3M. Ships would receive designated required supplies automatically. The only trouble was if the ship received an oversupply of an item it could never be sent back. The 3M system would automatically reduce or remove the item from the designated supply list. 

Long story short the crews galley received an abundance of little pearl onions. We had little pearl onions in every form possible to use up the overage. Green beans, Peas, Mashed Potatoes, Onion Dressing in the Salad, Onion gravy on your steak or pork chops whether you wanted gravy or not, you name it it had those #@&$ onions in it.

NOW I HATE ONIONS!! :angry:

CJ 

16 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

UB,

That all depends on the Chief Cook. In the late 60’s the Navy had a supply system called 3M. Ships would receive designated required supplies automatically. The only trouble was if the ship received an oversupply of an item it could never be sent back. The 3M system would automatically reduce or remove the item from the designated supply list. 

Long story short the crews galley received an abundance of little pearl onions. We had little pearl onions in every form possible to use up the overage. Green beans, Peas, Mashed Potatoes, Onion Dressing in the Salad, Onion gravy on your steak or pork chops whether you wanted gravy or not, you name it it had those #@&$ onions in it.

NOW I HATE ONIONS!! :angry:

CJ 

I guess the “great chow” was a recruiting ploy. :D

4 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I guess the “great chow” was a recruiting ploy. :D

Oh, I’m just b@#n for the fun of it.

When we had UnRep @ sea we always sent our best division ‘procurer’. A case of frozen steaks would end up in the Electric Shop and we had a Luau for 2-3 nights. E Division had a Hawaiian 2nd Class P.O. who could cook a great steak in an old popcorn popper. 

I actually have mostly good memories (selective?) of my time in service. When at sea I missed my better half so I didn’t  re-up and went home to 50+ years in double hitch. Never regretted it for a minute. :)

CJ

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well you’re not an illegal until you step on us soil. 

Th3 reason to blur his face is that he may be valuable in giving info on the cartel.

More likely to protect the 'drivers' family........

Remember, we are deal'n with a Cartel here.

Brass balls on that Coastie for sure-Don't think it was his first 'rodeo' either.........

OLG

On 7/12/2019 at 3:38 PM, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

as was once explained to me:  from time to time subs to NOT come to the surface

Paratroopers always come down.  Plus the view is a heck of a lot better

Just remember, there are more airplanes under the ocean than submarines in the sky!

My cousin served in the Coast Guard, and believe me, the stories he told me about their drug interdiction efforts would make your toes curl (and made my time in the Corps, even with the stuff we were involved in, seem like play time)

Archived