SASS Wire Forum

New 73 parts fresh off the line

evil dogooder

New parts just in time for mn state this weekend

They won't be hard coated in time but I'll be able to do a little test and evaluation tomorrow during side matches 

20190711_120641.jpg

20190711_135614.jpg

20190711_135619.jpg

1 minute ago, Red Eye Jim said:

Lifters, right?  Remind me again why these are better than my stock ones.  (I've got a .357 carbine and a .45 short rifle)

Less resistance, plus I'm making some for originals that you just can't get anymore.   We plan to offer complete stainless steel 73s  eventually so we need to learn how to make the parts

1 minute ago, evil dogooder said:

Less resistance, plus I'm making some for originals that you just can't get anymore.   We plan to offer complete stainless steel 73s  eventually so we need to learn how to make the parts

Stainless steel 1873, can’t wait!!!

Keep me in mind when you start doing that... I've got a B-Western look idea I want to do that would need all Stainless (not nickel plate) that would be perfect for.  (Think of a cross between Ace Hanlon and the handsome stranger...)

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

7075T6 I hope.

ED-Is this your machine?

Really suggest a mil spec hard anodize.

OLG

I've got a few different ones made.  From brass to titanium , aluminum and some alloys.   They will be hard anodized when I'm happy with how the design is. 

Not my machines.  My boss had given me free reign to start working on guns and parts.   We have the paperwork in to manufacture them so whenever it gets back from the gov. We will be ready to sell. We already make parts for some gun companies.  

3 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

When you get done with the rifles I wish you'd start on a copy of the Colt SAA and then a hammered double ;)

And a Merwin  Hulbert in 44-40.

15 minutes ago, Red Eye Jim said:

Keep me in mind when you start doing that... I've got a B-Western look idea I want to do that would need all Stainless (not nickel plate) that would be perfect for.  (Think of a cross between Ace Hanlon and the handsome stranger...)

1873s aren't allowed for B-Western.  Of course if you're not in the category but just want the look you're fine. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

1873s aren't allowed for B-Western.  Of course if you're not in the category but just want to the look you're fine. 

I forgot about that part to be honest.  I'll likely be shooting that gear FCD at that point anyway.  It's all about having fun and Stainless is easier to see clean.

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

When you get done with the rifles I wish you'd start on a copy of the Colt SAA and then a hammered double ;)

Sorry not at this time.  Maybe a marwin hulbert though.  Basically its whatever I feel like doing. Max of a couple hundred a year 

4 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

And a Merwin  Hulbert in 44-40.

It's been on my mind as well as a 38 special colt Alaskan 

3 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

Far out cool - and...if you need any PCD tooling for non-ferrous milling, drill, or turning ...... :D 

GG ~ :FlagAm:

50 minutes ago, Gunner Gatlin, SASS # 10274 said:

Far out cool - and...if you need any PCD tooling for non-ferrous milling, drill, or turning ...... :D 

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Maybe we will have to talk.   We primarily work with inconel and stainless.   We burn through about 15k worth of tooling a month

5 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

Sorry not at this time.  Maybe a marwin hulbert though.  Basically its whatever I feel like doing. Max of a couple hundred a year 

So I just have to ask, if business is good enough do you see a stand alone opportunity just building guns?

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

Who knows but I think it will just be a side project

1 minute ago, evil dogooder said:

Great way to start. I hope you’re very successful.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

ED-Will you be making your own barrels from scratch then?

OLG

Not currently we have contacted a few barrel makers. Green mountain is what we are learning to right now. 

When you start making Merwin barrels please let me know.

I have 2 that are fine.... except for the big split at the forcing cone. (both are 3rd models)

And another "parts-gun" that is close but also needs a barrel.

A working, new Merwin in any flavor would be nice,  (a pair actually)

The 1873 Winchester in stainless sounds great.

Not too picky where you start, 44 WCF, 38-40 WCF, or 32-20 WCF , would be good, but anything would be fun.

7 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I could use an aluminum lifter for a .38 '73.  What do you charge for those?  Are they drop in, or do they need some fitting?  Note, I'm not scared of some fitting.

Shoot me a PM.

Doc

Doc right now we are looking for 5 people to demo one and give us feed back on them.. if your interested in this send me a PM.    We are still tweaking a few dimensions to make it a drop in fit for any rifle.    The last one off the line yesterday at 4:23. With a little filling to the channel with a jeweler's file i had it in the rifle and working by 4:28. Just in time to punch out for the day.  This morning I swapped it out in three rifles.  It fit and functioned as is in all three.

When up and running we expect the price for a hard anodized aluminum .38 to be around $50 ish

16 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Sooner the better.........^_^

OLG

I want one to add to my collection.

JRJ

1 hour ago, evil dogooder said:

Doc right now we are looking for 5 people to demo one and give us feed back on them.. if your interested in this send me a PM.    We are still tweaking a few dimensions to make it a drop in fit for any rifle.    The last one off the line yesterday at 4:23. With a little filling to the channel with a jeweler's file i had it in the rifle and working by 4:28. Just in time to punch out for the day.  This morning I swapped it out in three rifles.  It fit and functioned as is in all three.

When up and running we expect the price for a hard anodized aluminum .38 to be around $50 ish

I tried to send you a PM and got a message that you can't receive messages.  Once you have one ready for testing, let me know.

Doc

Archived