SASS Wire Forum

A Loading Bench Mishap Warning

Was pressing primers into some shotshells when one didn't seem to want to go in.   I've seen this before, and the solution has always been just pull a little harder on the press and all will be well.   So I did.  Then the primer went off.  No harm done, just a little surprised.

But then I immediately thought about how it was a good thing that there was no powder in the shell.

So, let this be a gentle reminder, if you load up a cartridge and then notice after it's "done" that there is no primer in it, DON'T try to seat a primer in it.   Pop the bullet out, remove the powder and start over on that one from scratch.   Better safe than sorry.

I’ve popped 2, one in a 38 sp case, for whatever reason my Loadmaster bound up. I gave the handle a little pop and POP went the primer. No harm, but taught me a lesson. 

The other was a brass 10G shotshell. I was deprim ing a bunch of shells, somehow one that was primed but never loaded got in the box. I was using a punch and a hammer. Put the punch in, gave it a whack and POW. my thumb was holding the punch, right over the hull. A piece of powder or something was driven under the skin. Was pretty sore for several days. My wife was in her office on other side of house, she heard it and was pretty upset. 

Miral of of the story: pay attention. Don’t force anything. Wear eye protection! 

Dont deprime when wife is home.....

I use a SDB and have wondered what would happen if a primer went off with the powder thrower above it?

Its prob unlikely that a spark would travel that far and the powder thrower is closed off on the priming stroke but there could be powder stuck up there somewhere:blush:

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

So, let this be a gentle reminder, if you load up a cartridge and then notice after it's "done" that there is no primer in it, DON'T try to seat a primer in it.   Pop the bullet out, remove the powder and start over on that one from scratch.   Better safe than sorry.

This was exremely dumb, and I hesitate to tell anybody about it, but here goes.  

I was making snap caps for my '73 rifle.  I simply ran a cartridge with no primer though the stages of my 650.  I planned to put silicone in the primer pocket afterwards.  I took the finished cartridge with seated, crimped bullet over to the grinder and proceeded to grind off a section of the top and bottom rim, to keep it from extracting during practice.  I forgot there was a powder charge in the  case.  The heat of grinding inginted the propellant, and the cartridge exploded in my hand.  It actually did zero damage, except to my composure.  The lead bullet discharged somewhere, never found it, and the case went the other way until it hit my tool cabinet.   I had a black spot on my hand, but no injury or burns.  I don't know if it was just luck, or if the energy was partially relieved through the primer pocket.  Other than a real loud noise, nothing really happened.   Now I make sure there is no powder charge when I make a snap cap round.  

Mother Nature has a way of taking care of things

Thanks for sharing 

I have set off somewhere around 50 primers at once in the primer feed tube on a Dillon 650 press 

The lesson learned was if the press hangs up STOP. Don't use force to continue loading

I have not set off any primers YET, but have learned that if there is a sudden increase in resistance, STOP and figure out what is wrong.

Also, if using a progressive press you should re-evaluate what has been done at each station before pulling the handle again.

Duffield

2 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I have not set off any primers YET, but have learned that if there is a sudden increase in resistance, STOP and figure out what is wrong.

Also, if using a progressive press you should re-evaluate what has been done at each station before pulling the handle again.

Duffield

It helps to look at every cam as you

move the lever down to the stick- point.  It usually quickly locates the problem.  If none of the cams are contacting when the movement stops, it is most likely either a misaligned case (or wrong caliber case) at the resize die, or a primer feed problem.  Simply slow down, diagnose the problem and fix it. BRUTE FORCE WILL NOT SOLVE ANY FEEDING OR LOADING PROBLEM ON THE 650 (or on any other loader, for that matter).  Once you start bending or deforming cams, shell plates, primer feeding parts or the frame, your 650 will never load smoothly again, absent parts replacement.   Take the time to look carefully.  Never try to power through a reloading problem.  

14 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Was pressing primers into some shotshells when one didn't seem to want to go in.   I've seen this before, and the solution has always been just pull a little harder on the press and all will be well.   So I did.  Then the primer went off.  No harm done, just a little surprised.

Similar - Mec 600 jr - had a small shot spill & cleaned it all up EXCEPT for the 1 shot that hid in the priming well. Must have been pretty well centered 'cause the first round I primed had a loud surprise for me. No injury, no damage - except to skivvies ......  :o:D

Archived