SASS Wire Forum

Apollo 11 Realtime

Subdeacon Joe

I was stationed at Ft Devens Mass during the mission. Watched the landing on our 12” black & white tv. Awesome ghostly images. No hi def back then.

My Dad and Father Inlaw both worked for North American Aviation. I also worked there when I got out of college in 1962. I was there when we were awarded the Apollo Project. There were about 35,000 people working at our Downey California plant at the  peak of the program. I remember watching the lunar landing of Apollo 11 on tv. Pretty exciting times.

I also worked on the Space Shuttle. and other programs, eventually spending 40 years in the aerospace field. Great jobs and a wonderful career.

Howdy,

I just sent my space pen to Fisher for repairs.

It came apart last fall. Parts went everywhere.

I was surprised at how much energy the pen parts had.

Some were found in the parking lot.

I put it back together but it appears to be coming apart again.

It lives in the glove box as I record all car related stuff.

Glove box can kill a pen.

Best

CR

As I recall it was around 1am when Armstrong stepped up it of the lander. My wife fell asleep. Not me! :FlagAm:

I was closing in on my 4th birthday.  My parents gathered us in front of the TV and told us we were going to see history being made and that we would remember this for the rest of our lives.  It is the earliest memory that I can access, but I remember sitting on the floor on that awful brown shag carpet watching intently.

Archived