SASS Wire Forum

No thanks

Utah Bob #35998

Carol just picked up my post-op pain prescription. Hydrocodone! :blink:

Nope. I’ll stick’ with Ibuprofen, thanks.

And the liquor cabinet.

31 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Get well. Check the warnings about ibuprofen and alcohol. Can be fatal.

One or the other. Not both at the same time. All things in moderation.

32 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

Get well. Check the warnings about ibuprofen and alcohol. Can be fatal.

Hell then I should have been dead long long ago . RX strength naproxen works for me and is the strongest pain killer I’ll take 

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Carol just picked up my post-op pain prescription. Hydrocodone! :blink:

Nope. I’ll stick’ with Ibuprofen, thanks.

And the liquor cabinet.

I trust you have a good supply of both….

Texas Lizard

Just take the damn pills.  It's not a lifetime commitment & I expect Carol may need the break.

Get well soon, UB. I saved my BIL’s life a few years ago when hearing about his kidney issues I asked if he was still swallowing his ibuprofen with shots of tequila, he was. Him and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum and we’re not allowed together at the same family outings but thanks to me he’s not dead but only lost one kidney, sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing.

Well, it’s good to hear that you aren’t in a lot of pain. 

Heal quickly. Follow the Doc’s orders. :)

I rarely take any medication at all. 

25 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Get well soon, UB. I saved my BIL’s life a few years ago when hearing about his kidney issues I asked if he was still swallowing his ibuprofen with shots of tequila, he was. Him and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum and we’re not allowed together at the same family outings but thanks to me he’s not dead but only lost one kidney, sometimes I wonder if I did the right thing.

As I said. One or the other. Not together. ;)

22 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, it’s good to hear that you aren’t in a lot of pain. 

Heal quickly. Follow the Doc’s orders. :)

I might take that stuff In case of an amputation. That opioid crap ain’t for me.

besides it was only a brain transplant. Probably be fine in a coupl couple couplers of dayyyyysss. :blink:

I've had kidney stones a few times over the years and hydrocodone or its relatives are the only thing that really work. When they are needed, they are great. If not needed, fine. They are merely a useful anodyne and there is no real reason to reject them on principle.

16 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I've had kidney stones a few times over the years and hydrocodone or its relatives are the only thing that really work. When they are needed, they are great. If not needed, fine. They are merely a useful anodyne and there is no real reason to reject them on principle.

It was morphine for me.

Did you know that music comes in paisley and smells like vanilla...?  :huh:

Before I had both of my shoulders replaced I took Hydrocodone for several years. I worked well for pain control, especially at night so I could sleep. After I got new shoulder joints, I quit taking it and it was a bitch. Took 6 months for the side effects of it to finally go away. I've had several small surgeries since then and told the Dr I didn't need any pain meds. That crap is really addicting, I can testify to that!

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I might take that stuff In case of an amputation. That opioid crap ain’t for me.

besides it was only a brain transplant. Probably be fine in a coupl couple couplers of dayyyyysss. :blink:

Well.... I hope you traded up! Maybe quantum physics is in yer future and you leave us all behind!

Just kiddin! Hope you get to feeling better!

4 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

It was morphine for me.

I'm with you, HP.

When I get a stone, I head right to the ER and get hooked up to the Kickapoo Joy Juice.  I'm not proud.  Sure beats writhing in pain and threatening the lives of the nurses.

LL

For me, medication is a last and desperate choice.  I won't even take an aspirin unless I'm really suffering.  Infections that I can't shake is one of my exceptions.  

My daily health maintenance care is apple cider vinegar and chanca piedra tea sweetened with honey. 

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

So just a  minor surgery. hope they found it this time:lol:

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I do understand. I will take them if the pain is really bad but I am cautious about it. I usually try Ibuprofen and see if that kicks the pain. If not, I will take the hard stuff.

My Dad was addicted to opioid pain killers for years. He had a really bad back. He also took Valium for years. It was supposed to calm his nerves from the pain. Yeah, right. That didn’t work.

He died at the age of 46 from congestive heart failure. Years later I heard that doctors discovered that prolonged use of Valium builds up fluid around the heart thus causing congestive heart failure. The man ate pain pills like candy, smoked 3 packs of cigarettes a day and also took Quaaludes to go to sleep. He was racing towards disaster. Any time a doctor hinted at addiction my old man dropped the doc and moved on. He was a “doctor shopper” before doctor shopping was cool. :wacko:

So, I am pretty cautious with prescription drugs.

I do recommend that anyone that has enough pain to make them mean to their loved ones please consider taking the pain killers. No one wants to live with a wounded bear.

11 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I don’t reject them on principle. I reject them on side effects.

11 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

It was morphine for me.

I managed to get through the 60s without trippin out.

About 8 years ago I was in the hospital for a major surgery. They had me on the “push-the-button-for-a-good-time morphine machine” about 11 pm one night I watched the walls of the room melt away and I was in a beautiful mountain meadow with green grass, wildflowers and snow covered peaks in the distance. Then my wife walked toward me wearing a white flowing dress.  I smiled. And then I thought maybe I was dead. I didn’t want to be dead.  Turns out I wasn't dead.

Scared the crap out of me.

9 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

I'm with you, HP.

When I get a stone, I head right to the ER and get hooked up to the Kickapoo Joy Juice.  I'm not proud.  Sure beats writhing in pain and threatening the lives of the nurses.

LL

Loophole speaks truly!

I've had ... well, I quit counting at ten of the ... ummm ... (sorry, the writer in me was going to describe them in a colorful manner, but this is a family forum so I can't)

Anyway Loophole speaks truly ... head for ER and I get Toradol IV, it's a smooth muscle relaxer, the ureter stops clamping down on the prickly little (family forum, remember)

-- anyway, Toradol for me.

I turned down a needle full of Knockemstiff.

My Mama, rest her soul, was a recovering alcoholic, my second posting as a nurse was inpatient juvenile drug and alcohol rehab, and I was taught that addiction is passed down through the genes.

I'm not taking the chance.

I had morphine just once.  I really screwed up my wrist in a HS football mishap and had to have surgery.  I would put off asking for a pain killer as long as possible and, one day, I waited a little too long and was REALLY hurting by the time I asked the nurse for some pain meds.  Instead of handing me a couple pills the Dr. came in and gave me a shot.  I don't remember a darn thing from that time on until the next day.  The Dr. said I kept asking him the same question over and over.  To this day I have no idea what that question was.  I hated the idea of not knowing what I was doing or had done so that was the last of that for me.

Angus

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Try some CBD oil  not exactly a pain reliever, but not exactly not one either.  Can take just the edge off for me and it has no THC-it isn't going to get you the least bit high

Same here. Mrs. Lose is a big believer in CBD oil and it works.

Archived