SASS Wire Forum

Ted Cash inline cappers new design

Tyrel Cody

@Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 (or anyone else for that matter) have you seen Ted Cash's redesigned inline cappers? I ordered a couple and they now load from the side, kind of neat. Instructions say they'll work with any revolver now. But look to me like they'll still need a little filing/grinding.

20190710_123745.jpg

I've had such horrible luck with the in-line cappers. I spent the money on a Polish Capper and never looked back.

I have less than zero desire to own the Polish Capper. Don't like the way they look, it's just a personal opinion.

I've modified a TDC snail capper and it works 99% of the time. I also have 2 other TDC inlines that work flawlessly after a little modification. These new one look like they'll be excellent.

I'll have to get one of these new ones and try it out. 

I've ben using the original TN straight capper for 15 years on my C&B pistols. It works on my 1858 Remingtons, ROA's, and my 1849 Navies with no mod's to anything. Not seeing the advantage to now loading from the side rather than the bottom. Let us now how they work out.

Thanks

Ike

One needed the entry hole widened just a smidgen for number 11 caps, the other was fine, but probably could use just a tad of filing of the side opening. They are easier for me to load from the side, no caps turned on their side like the bottom load versions. The end of these new ones are better as well as there are no little prongs present(they have to be ground off the old ones to work on an 1851). So far so good and imo improved.

About 1/2 the Remington #10 caps are just a smige too tall & bind going down the in-line capper.

So, I use them in a teardrop capper.

But I prefer in-lines

Been like that for the last ten years or so.

Have you noticed any problem with using #10s in your in-line cappers?

--Dawg

Dawg, I haven't had any problem with the Cash inlines and tall caps yet. I've only been through 300 or so caps though; I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Yep, some batches run thru really well.

However, some batches don't, and it is really frustrating.

For those I use teardrop cappers. (not my preference)

Tried the polish capper (Didn't care for it)

I've got maybe 30K Remington #10s at home and have to keep track of the lot #s, cuz some are just too deep/tall for the channel inside a TDC in-line.

Thanks for the heads-up.

I'll order a couple & see if they work better than my 25 vintage ones!

Stay cool my friend!

--Dawg 

22 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

I'll order a couple & see if they work better than my 25 vintage ones!

:o

Be ready with a needle file. The #10 Remingtons seem to fit ok, after you get them through the slot. One of mine is a REAL tight fit. I will be sending TDC a note that the opening needs to be a tad larger.

5 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

About 1/2 the Remington #10 caps are just a smige too tall & bind going down the in-line capper.

So, I use them in a teardrop capper.

But I prefer in-lines

Been like that for the last ten years or so.

Have you noticed any problem with using #10s in your in-line cappers?

--Dawg

Ya, I have the same problem with the Remington # 10s in TC in-line cappers, its the pits.

I contacted TDC products.

The only thing that has changed is the method for loading the caps.

The dimensions of the brass channel that holds all the caps has not changed.

Really, just a cosmetic change, IMHO.

From their Website:

CCI #10 Caps are all trimmed to .160 and they all work very good in our Straightline!
Remington #10 caps vary in height from .176- .185,most work ok if they go over .180, they stick
Remington #11 caps Vary in height from .146-.150, they all work good.
So, rather than make a product that suits our needs, they expect us to use caps that do not fit the nipples we use in our guns.
She said that I should switch to CCI caps, which was kinda stupid, since they don't fit properly.
I did point out to the person with whom I corresponded that most cowboy shooters use Remington #10, and that their in-line capper is recommended for caps that do not fit our nipples, but I don't expect them to change.
So, I will continue to do things the way I have been, venting my frustration from time-to-time!
--Dawg

2 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

From their Website:

CCI #10 Caps are all trimmed to .160 and they all work very good in our Straightline!
Remington #10 caps vary in height from .176- .185,most work ok if they go over .180, they stick
So, rather than make a product that suits our needs, they expect us to use caps that do not fit the nipples we use in our guns.
She said that I should switch to CCI caps, which was kinda stupid, since they don't fit properly.
I did point out to the person with whom I corresponded that most cowboy shooters use Remington #10, and that their in-line capper is recommended for caps that do not fit our nipples, but I don't expect them to change.
So, I will continue to do things the way I have been, venting my frustration from time-to-time!
--Dawg

Well, at least now I know why it kept jamming. 

Seems awfully poor poor marketing not to have a design that would work with all brands and sizes of caps. :wacko:

At the very least the packaging should have a disclaimer :(

4 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

From their Website:

--Dawg

I don't see why you couldn't run the ones that are too long across a belt sander briefly. Should shorten them up in no time.

54 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I don't see why you couldn't run the ones that are too long across a belt sander briefly. Should shorten them up in no time.

If you're gonna do that, nail them to a board first--those things are hard to hang on to when you sand them one at a time.  Plus, it takes forever to get through a box of 100!

Nah.  I never liked in-line cappers.  Started out with TC Snail cappers.  Couple of judicious swipes of a fine file and PRESTO !!!  Loads all my Cap Guns just fine.  If I remember correctly, I gave Dawg all the In-lines I had.  Remember that old commercial ??  "He Likes It" ..  "He Likes It"  Nah, just don't like in-lines at all.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:01 PM, Tyrel Cody said:

Yeah, they're real easy to flip sideways from the bottom.

I was trying to shoot my LeMat and had so much trouble with the caps falling over in the straight capper that I quit.

I got a Polish capper, and it works great.

Thet Polish thang really caught my eye or to be more technical, eyes, when it first appeared on here but trying to figure how to get ones hand or to be more tek, hands, on one seemed a bit above my GA. educational level.  Lately I been selling more than I am buying for CAS anyhows so I will just continue to watch with interest.  Did wonder why a foreign company would not have set up local distribution or even manufacture  of/for a shooting product in what would have seemed to be their most lucrative market?

Archived