SASS Wire Forum

Your dream "Frankengun"

Maybe the fella who created the automatic single action revolver will chime in.  He replaced the ejector rod with a gas tube to eject spent shells automatically, then added a magazine to the left side to feed more rounds into the empty chambers.  I believe he actually called his creation the Frankengun. 

14 hours ago, Smokey Dave said:

Driftwood, that Richards Conversion is a dream gun. I'd love to have one. I'd even be happy with a modern replica. Thanks for posting that one.

At some point, somebody was making a replica of the Richards Conversion. I shoot with a guy occasionally who has a pair of them. He has had them a long time, and I don't know if they are still in production, but they were at some point.

OK, it turns out Armi San Marco was making a replica of the Richards Conversion. They are no longer being made.

Cimarron is importing an Uberti replica today, but it is not quite the same as the original Richards Conversions. The Cimmaron version is a 'transitional' model. It has the Richards Conversion style ejector rod, but the Richards Mason style conversion ring without the sight on the ring, and the Richards Mason style firing pin in the hammer.

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/revolvers/conversion-revolvers/1860-conversions/1860-conversions-1860-richards-transition-model-type-ii.html

Here is a good video by Mike Beliveau shooting the Cimarron version, as well as showing the differences between it and the Armi San Marco version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeKzgYbk4XI

1 hour ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

At some point, somebody was making a replica of the Richards Conversion. I shoot with a guy occasionally who has a pair of them. He has had them a long time, and I don't know if they are still in production, but they were at some point.

OK, it turns out Armi San Marco was making a replica of the Richards Conversion. They are no longer being made.

AFF 1861 Colt Richards conversions .38 Colt/Special

AFF 61 .38.JPG

On 7/11/2019 at 9:29 PM, Badlands Bud #15821 said:

That should be feasible. I don't know if anyone makes a .38 Special Henry, but  you should be able to block up the lifter and replace the barrel. I don't think the rim is involved in controlling feeding? 1851s would just need proper Kirst cylinders. I don't know about the cost, but this fine gentleman was able to craft .44-40 cylinders for Ruger Vaqueros so I could use .429 instead of .427 bullets and quit sizing every darned one of them. I bet he could cut 9mm Kirst cylinders for 1851s. 

Bud,

That fine gentleman has been my gunsmith for the last twenty years!! He moved to NV and is a neighbor of mine as well!!

Good to see you back on the wire. I hope your life is everything you could wish for.

Your friend,

Jasper

On 7/14/2019 at 9:36 AM, Jasper Agate said:

Bud,

That fine gentleman has been my gunsmith for the last twenty years!! He moved to NV and is a neighbor of mine as well!!

Good to see you back on the wire. I hope your life is everything you could wish for.

Your friend,

Jasper

Jasper Agate! It has been a long time. Things are going well as I hope they are for you. 

-Bud

Archived