SASS Wire Forum

It's july 9th

Oh, the humanity!!!

Back when dirt was young and so was I, when Dispatch gave us a location, often there was the subscript, "And they said their porch light will be on."

Lotta help, folks: after dark, nearly everyone has their porch light on.

I blessed and absolutely loved, loved, LOVED!! the caller who said "My Christmas lights will be on."

NOBODY has their Christmas lights on of a July night, and the location was far easier to find!

(This long years before GPS, we didn't even have 911 in Athens County in those days!)

Hey Linn,

I started working for the city PD, then transferred to the county Sheriff's Office.  I didn't know squat about all those twisty, windy county roads or addresses.  After I received a call to a route and box #, I had to own up to the fact that I couldn't find the address.  It's pitch black outside, and the dispatcher told me to go south on suchandsuch road past where Mrs. Blake's barn burned down a few years ago.  Needless to say, I couldn't find where a barn burned down years ago in the dark.  That got a big laugh from the Sheriff himself as he listened on the radio that night.

Local VA medical center has a Christmas tree with red, white, and blue decorations.  I asked about it and was told it's a holiday tree and every day is some kind of a holiday.  There will also be a Christmas tree during December.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Y'all have to overlook TN Williams.     His Christmas lights consist of piece of

Red and Green cellophane stretched across his flood lights..... :lol:

..........Widder

You mean that's not how everybody does it?

I take down my Christmas lights promptly on December 26th.  Then immediately put up my new years lights.  They go in the same spot and to the untrained eye they look exactly the same.  But trust me, they're New Year's lights.  Then on Jan 2 I take them down and put up the valentines lights.  Then the St Patrick's Day lights.  Then the easter lights.  I've done it so often that I'm pretty quick and you'd be hard pressed to ever catch me out making the switch.  But trust me, I did.  Heck, I've been known to do it even when I was out of town. 

I'm gunna sit out on my deck tonight and enjoy my labor day lights.  Some might say it's a might early for them to be up, but I say nuts to them.  I'm in the holiday mood. 

Archived