SASS Wire Forum

1873 in 45 Colt Locks up

Having a problem with my Uberti 73 in 45 Colt.  After using the rifle for many years this last weekend it started acting up.  The rifle opens the breach bolt fine but when you go to close the rifle about 1/2 to closing it locks up.  I then have to jiggle the leaver and the rifle will open and maybe will close and work for awhile then lock up again.  I took the rifle apart and cleaned it and did not notice any bad parts, put it back together and still locks up.   So before I send it off to be looked at and repaired any ideas of what to check.    Thanks Driftwood Dan

36 minutes ago, Driftwood Dan SASS #62738L said:

any ideas of what to check.

Yep, look more closely at the action - bolt and carrier and next round coming up.   The action on the 73 is so open to inspection that a CLOSE look should show you what is blocking the works.  If a more detailed view is needed, open one side cover plate and hold the toggles in the action while you operate the gun.  Using dummy rounds, please, or extreme caution and safe gun handling.

I'd guess you have slightly bent the lever and have the bolt face catching on the lifter as it enters from the backside, though, if you forced me to guess without more details of what is actually happening.

Good luck, GJ

It could be your carrier spring is getting weak or is loose.  Make sure the screw holding that spring is tight.  That is the screw on the bottom just behind the carrier, on the right side (loading gate) side of the gun.  If that spring is weak/loose, the carrier doesn't want to rise or drop properly.

Extractor pin loose and sliding sideways just enough with the bolt in the tunnel to contact the receiver holding the bolt open?

I have a similar problem with my newly short stroked '66

The carrier is aluminium and the spring in the action is a little too long to engage the proper notch and the carrier will sometimes not drop all the way down.

When that happens, mine locks up until I can push it down, flush with the bottom of the frame. 

I'm hoping Pioneer has a shorter spring to fix the issue, otherwise, I'll have to take the kit out.

3 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

the spring in the action is a little too long to engage the proper notch and the carrier will sometimes not drop all the way down.

I'm hoping Pioneer has a shorter spring to fix the issue, otherwise, I'll have to take the kit out.

I suppose you are talking about the lifter spring when you write "spring in the action"

If this is a piano wire spring, then the tip can be rebent so that is fits against the lever boss lifter arm properly.   If it's still a factory type leaf spring, it can be filed to fit properly.

This would not be enough of a repair that I would even think of removing and refitting the short stroke kit!

Good luck, GJ

Philosophy:

Diagnosing gun malfunctions is like playing bridge or poker; one peek is worth a thousand guesses!  :D

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I suppose you are talking about the lifter spring when you write "spring in the action"

If this is a piano wire spring, then the tip can be rebent so that is fits against the lever boss properly.   If it's still a factory type leaf spring, it can be filed to fit properly.

This would not be enough of a repair that I would even think of removing and refitting the short stroke kit!

Good luck, GJ

Howdy Garrison Joe:

No, it's not a piano wire spring, it's a flat spring as below.

Please see the pictures below. It's this part and area, what ever it's called.

You'll notice the flat spring does not engage the notch, which I think it should.

The little "pointer" is at the notch.

Any ideas or suggestions?

IMG_2237.JPG

IMG_2238.JPG

13 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

... while you operate the gun.  Using dummy rounds, please, or extreme caution and safe gun handling...

Good luck, GJ

This!  I watched an instructional video on YouToobe yesterday, screening what would be best to post on my site, where the person said they couldn't find any dummies so they function tested the gun with live rounds.  It's one thing to use extreme caution on your own, but to tell a wide and varied audience of folks who are new to basic disassembly and reassembly of a Rossi '92 that, oh heck... just use live rounds!? 

Anyway,  I had a similar problem to the OP with one of my Uberti '73s.  On inspection, it was the older type of Breech Bolt with a pin-type Firing Pin Stop, instead of the that had worked loose.  Easy fix... once we found what it was. 

Wow, Haven't seen a short stroke installation that retained the factory flat springs for the lifter and lever.

Personally, I'd order a set of either Whisper Springs (Smith Shop)

http://www.thesmithshop.com/springkits.html

or Slix Springs (LongHunter is one place that carries them)

http://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=345

And fit/have them fitted to the gun.

I do not believe your factory lifter arm spring is too long, though!    The only time the lifter arm notch and the spring tip come together during the action stroke is when the action is WIDE OPEN.  Your picture shows lever closed (or close to it). 

I'd be looking for crud, dirt or a burr in the lifter shaft or a tight fitting lifter block, or loose or broken spring screw on the lifter arm spring.   Seeing as how the short stroke has recently been installed, your gunsmith who did the work may be the ideal person to have find and fix the problem.

Good luck, GJ

Well took the rifle apart again and checked the areas mentioned.   The bolt appears to be catching on the carrier block. The carrier block does not seem to be dropping and hangs up so the bolt cannot slide into it. This just started is there a easy do it yourself fix.   Thanks   Driftwood Dan

Before you start messing with the gun, check your ammo length.  Don't assume anything.  Check it with a caliper or gauge.  

Seating dies on any loader can clog up at the top and start seating bullets too deeply into the case.  Even a tiny difference can jamb some rifles. 

If a short round is in the '73 carrier tube, a second round from the magazine can be forced by the mag spring far enough into the tube  to catch on the ledge just above the ramp.  If that happens, the carrier cannot slide up past the spring-loaded round and the action will jamb. 

If your ammo is the correct length, then take a close look at what others above have recommended.  With a '73, always check ammo first for length, crimp, split cases, banana cases, etc. 

Thanks for all the information.  10+ years as my main match and Wild Bunch rifle is not bad with no problems until now.  So I am taking it to my Cowboy Gunsmith today for a check up and repair, probably about time.  Thanks again Driftwood Dan  

20 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Wow, Haven't seen a short stroke installation that retained the factory flat springs for the lifter and lever.

Personally, I'd order a set of either Whisper Springs (Smith Shop)

http://www.thesmithshop.com/springkits.html

or Slix Springs (LongHunter is one place that carries them)

http://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=345

And fit/have them fitted to the gun.

I do not believe your factory lifter arm spring is too long, though!    The only time the lifter arm notch and the spring tip come together during the action stroke is when the action is WIDE OPEN.  Your picture shows lever closed (or close to it). 

I'd be looking for crud, dirt or a burr in the lifter shaft or a tight fitting lifter block, or loose or broken spring screw on the lifter arm spring.   Seeing as how the short stroke has recently been installed, your gunsmith who did the work may be the ideal person to have find and fix the problem.

Good luck, GJ

G. Joe gives good advise, as usual. I would add to also look at the lifter arm cam -- the point where the spring rides. The points can wear down and result in the problem described. This is especially common in lifter arms in kits that are not hardened, such as from Pioneer. Simple fix  is to add metal (weld) and re-cut.

Archived