SASS Wire Forum

Pedersoli-Sharps Firing Pin Question

Sheriff Langston

I own an 1874 Pedersoli-Sharps 45-70, 32" barrel model Cabelas model 8125.  The closest I can find it matching on Pesersoli's site is a Sporting #3.   I acquired used and do not have the original OM.

Yesterday I had about 2-3 light primer strikes out of say 15 rounds at the range where the primer was dimpled but did not go off.  Second attempt resulted in a normal discharge.

The only parts breakdown I can find show a breech block with a "firing pin block plate" that appears to house the pin and a spring.  Mine is different :(

There is simply a screw that locks the pin in place.  I removed both that and the pin in order to clean.  However, I expected to find a spring in there but there was none.  The firing pin just rolls back and forth.  My question(s) 

1. Is there supposed to be a spring around the firing pin?

2.  Does anyone have a parts breakdown for this model?

3. I have thoroughly cleaned the block and pin cavity, have yet to test it.  It has always hit the primers a little off center.  Do I need a new pin?

4.  If so does anyone have a part #/source?

For the record this is one nice rifle, best I have or will probably ever own.

Thanks for any assistance.

Sheriff L.

I would look at the fly and hammer spring in the lock.

May also need to replace the toggle.

Not uncommon for a FP and the lever spring to break on this model rifle.

https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=61

I would test with factory ammo to be sure the primer is seated to the bottom of the cases's primer pocket

OLG

you might try to contact Pedersoli with the serial number and ask them about it and also if you can buy a manual, it there isn't one to be found on line.

Pedersoli 1875 falling block.

If the block has been raised and drop with the hammer all the way down.

Loaded or unloaded, the end of the firing pin comes in contact with the barrel which can remove some metal off the tip of the firing pin.

Half cock before raising or lowering the block.

Archived