SASS Wire Forum

Who has the dope on Merwin & Hulbert?

Bart Slade

I'm a little confused on the history of the Merwin & Hulbert company.  I read the following history on Wikipedia:

"Joseph Merwin was involved with marketing and manufacturing revolvers as early as 1856 when he formed an arms company known as Merwin & Bray. This company folded by 1874. In 1876 Merwin formed a partnership with William and Milan Hulbert, who owned 50% interest in Hopkins & Allen. Merwin and Hulbert not only designed firearms, but imported firearms and retailed firearms and other goods in a large sporting goods endeavor. Merwin and Hulbert additionally purchased several firearms manufacturers. Author Art Phelps opined that if Merwin and Hulbert had not marked the revolvers with the manufacturers name 'Hopkins and Allen' (known for inexpensive and poor quality weapons), the Merwin Hulbert would be as well known as Colt, Smith & Wesson, and Remington.[4]"

I question the accuracy of this statement (particularly the highlighted part) - because I found the following ad in 1869 editions of Harper's Weekly:

image.png.00fbdc39523b4c707805bc1d676dd955.png

So they look established in 1869, far earlier than Wikipedia states (not that Wikipedia is a gold standard for accuracy).

Anybody know of a history of M&H that is accurate?

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2019 at 4:14 PM, Bart Slade said:

Author Art Phelps opined that if Merwin and Hulbert had not marked the revolvers with the manufacturers name 'Hopkins and Allen' (known for inexpensive and poor quality weapons), the Merwin Hulbert would be as well known as Colt, Smith & Wesson, and Remington.[4]"

Howdy

Art Phelp's book is full of a lot of opinions.

He continually states that the Merwin Hulbert revolvers were the finest revolvers made in the 19th Century, and he states that no other manufacturer could have made such an intricate design.

I have four Merwin Hulberts, and I say BUNK!

If you ever open up a Merwin you will find the fit and finish of the interior parts is nowhere near as good as what Smith and Wesson were making at the time.

And he never mentions that although you can unload a MH quickly by pulling the barrel forward and rotating, never once does he mention that they have to be reloaded one round at a time through a loading gate.

As far as the intricacy of the design, S&W could have easily reproduced the design if they wanted to. They did not need to because they controlled patents that forced Merwin to come up with his unique design. He could not make a conventional Top Break until S&W patents expired.

Don't get me wrong, it is lots of fun to shoot a MH, but they could not be reloaded as quickly as a S&W Top Break, and the workmanship did not hold a candle to what S&W and Colt were producing at the time.

Archived