SASS Wire Forum

Recommendations on Shooting glasses

Sasparilla Groz

I wear prescription glasses and have a cheap pair of Over the Glasses safety glasses.  Recently I had a few larger fragments bounce off the glasses and realized I am relying on a pair of $5.00 safety glasses to protect my vision.

Please provide recommendations on what you all use, where to get them, and what they cost.

Your help is appreciated!

I recently bought both of these and I really like them not just for the color but for the comfort as well as the amount of protection they provide. Helps the price is right. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076VB8Q78?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

AND

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F7P292?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Maybe it's me and my perceived sense of value, but $8-$9 for protecting your eyes seems... Wrong.

I like Wylie

X2:excl:

Neither of those in the links carry the mil-spec impact rating that Oakley, Wylie & ESS have.

Good info here-

https://www.shootingandsafety.com/best-shooting-safety-glasses-review/

OLG

1 minute ago, Sasparilla Groz said:

Good information.  The Wiley glasses look good.  Anyone have any experience with their RX inserts for prescription lenses?

My wife:wub: uses'em.

Kinda of a PITA to clean because you have to remove the insert.

OLG

:ph34r: 

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

My wife:wub: uses'em.

Kinda of a PITA to clean because you have to remove the insert.

OLG

Because Goode and I both have the prescription inserts I have been forced by necessity to find an easier way to clean them.  Q-tip with optometrist-supplied glass cleaner, and then using dry end of Q-tip as a 'probe' or mandrel to force the microfiber cleaning cloth in between the lenses to dry and polish.  Works well.

Began by using the lens removal method, and soon tired of that.....  never seemed to be able to reassemble things without getting fingerprints where they shouldn't be :angry:.

10 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I recently acquired some prescription Safety glasses with amber lens..........$100+ bucks (with discount).

Phantom makes a good point.   

..........Widder

Yep, popular method,  had my eye doc make mine. Right eye (dominant) for front sight, left eye my regular prescription, both with bifocal and transition to gray lens. Added  pair of B-52 side shields, they work great, easy to read stages, see the targets and front sight. Good Luck:)

https://www.sideshield.com/b-52-aye-mate/

I use Wiley-X. I took a nearly complete .45 bullet to my left eye a couple years back while spotting for another shooter, the plastic deformed & absorbed the impact with no penetration, and they're not calling me One Eyed Lefty, so...

I got a black eye out of it and the side of my face was swollen up for a few days, but I have little doubt I would have had severe eye damage or eye loss without the right shooting glasses. I also make a habit of keeping my mouth closed when I'm close to the line like that, as I kind of like still having all my teeth at 64. ;)

I agree with phantom. You only get one set of eyes you should protect them well. I’ve just ordered a set of glasses from SSP eyewear.com. Very excited  to try them. They have a bifocal lens and a top focal lens. The top focal lens allows you to see through the top of the glasses for rifle and pistol shotgun and then the bifocal lens allows you to see down as in reading.  I am left eye dominant right hand shooter. So I will put the bifocal lens on the left eye and the top vocal on the right eye. I’ve heard lotta good things about these glasses and they have great reviews. 

They have some great videos that show how to work with cross dominancy eye issues.  Check them out at SSP eyewear.com.

Thanks Oak Creek Martin 

Archived