SASS Wire Forum

Ca. and guns?

2 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Be careful with that one, I got a ticket in that exact situation.  Cop said he pulled me over because, "I had Oregon plates but I looked like I was coming home from work".  To his credit, it was a Jeep with no doors, but still kind of discretionary on his part.

Doors have nut'n to do with it.

That LEO was phish'n............

OLG

47 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Doors have nut'n to do with it.

That LEO was phish'n............

OLG

Well, the PRK got my money for "failure to register", phishing or not.

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Did you have a NV, DL?

OLG

No, at the time I had a CA DL.  Had just gotten out of the military, living in San Jose.

1 minute ago, Smoky Pistols said:

No, at the time I had a CA DL.  Had just gotten out of the military, living in San Jose.

So the LEO said his only PC for the t-stop was for your car's out of state plate??:huh:

Was the reg current?

Don't sound 'rite'..............

OLG

6 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

So the LEO said his only PC for the t-stop was for your car's out of state plate??:huh:

Was the reg current?

Don't sound 'rite'..............

OLG

When I asked him why he stopped me, his response was, as stated previously, "You have Oregon plates on your vehicle and you looked like you were coming home from work".  I was in a residential neighborhood, a couple blocks from my house.  I had noted his presence already, so I was not speeding, did not run a light or sign, nothing.  Jeep was mechanically sound.  I had gotten a new driver's license when I was discharged at Ft. Ord(Old one was from TX).  The registration on the Jeep was still valid for another six months or so, and with money being tight, I decided to wait to re-register it in CA.  Needless to say, money got a lot tighter that month. 

When my dad was dying, I drove from CA to ID through NV.
HW95 is a long and lonesome road between Winnemucca and McDermitt.

The cop said said he was following me for 10 miles with his lights on.
I was going Nevada fast and not paying attention until he hit the siren.

I told him I was distracted and the reason why.
He asked me, "Do you mind if the drug dog goes through your truck?
I replied, "Do I have a choice?"
He said, "We can do this here, or do this down at the station."

This was his probable cause, and his justification to display the length of his manhood.

The drug dog went all through the cab, the bed, and under the truck and came up empty.
It took about 45 minutes.
I told him, "I carry a security clearance.   I already told you that, and I don't carry drugs."

12 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

When I asked him why he stopped me, his response was, as stated previously, "You have Oregon plates on your vehicle and you looked like you were coming home from work".  I was in a residential neighborhood, a couple blocks from my house.  I had noted his presence already, so I was not speeding, did not run a light or sign, nothing.  Jeep was mechanically sound.  I had gotten a new driver's license when I was discharged at Ft. Ord(Old one was from TX).  The registration on the Jeep was still valid for another six months or so, and with money being tight, I decided to wait to re-register it in CA.  Needless to say, money got a lot tighter that month. 

IF the vehicle reg was in your name...........

IMHO and as a former LEO. I would call it a 'weak' stop at the very least.

OLG

Weak or not, it costs a lot of $$ in lawyer retainers to defend yourself, should you choose to fight.
It is a whole lot less expensive to pay the ticket.

39 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

IF the vehicle reg was in your name...........

IMHO and as a former LEO. I would call it a 'weak' stop at the very least.

OLG

It was all legal and in my name.

Unfortunately, not all LEOs, nor ordinary people for that matter, are as upstanding as you--Thanks you for that, at least.

And yes bgavin, also unfortunately, some days it is just easier to pay the ticket.

Until one goes chest-deep in the legal system, there is a tendency to be self-righteous and vow to fight for your rights.
Doing so becomes VERY expensive.
The lawyer continues to hold out his hand for those $5,000 retainer fees.

It takes years to wind through court.
If your opponent is a gov't agency or otherwise has deep pockets, you will die broke in court.

1 hour ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Well, the PRK got my money for "failure to register", phishing or not.

So the officer's instincts were correct?  I agree, it's kind of weak on probable cause but you had failed to register the vehicle after taking up residency in California.

48 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

So the officer's instincts were correct?  I agree, it's kind of weak on probable cause but you had failed to register the vehicle after taking up residency in California.

You are correct, I was illegal at the time.  That's the main reason I paid the fine and didn't try to fight it.  Just put it down to a slow day and an officer looking for something to do.

40 minutes ago, bgavin said:

What about active duty?

My eldest is a Navy commander, and she and her hubby maintain a FL residence.
Have not lived there in years.

Whole different deal-Even more so if you live on base.

OLG

Archived