SASS Wire Forum

Ca. and guns?

Got a short road trip planned to California and I would normally have a gun along. But, I am not sure how wise that is with the current laws there. Any insights would be appreciated. Are there similar restrictions on knives?

It is not wise at all as far as legality. Forget concealed or open carry.

To get the official rules, you need to go the the CA DOJ website.

Yeah. Locked case. Pretty much useless unless you’re just going target shooting. And it has to be on the CS approved list.

8 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Not for a visitor.......

OLG

I can bring my black rifle?

30 minutes ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

Got a short road trip planned to California and I would normally have a gun along. But, I am not sure how wise that is with the current laws there. Any insights would be appreciated. Are there similar restrictions on knives?

I’d rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. IMHO.

24 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Only the coffee brand......:P

OLG

But I’m a Visitor! ;)

I notice how vague the CA DOJ wording remains.
Even on the "latest and greatest" there is nothing definitive about out-of-state shooters bringing in the hand loads for an event.

Newsom is quoted as to not worrying about the gun.
He is all about restricting the ammo.

That way he sidesteps the "infringement" part of ownership, by simply preventing one from using their firearm.
The state of CA terrifies me... I do not want to risk financial ruin.

51 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

If you are going in an RV, things are different. Firearms can be kept in it. Need probable cause to search.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if an out of state tag would be probable cause for a search in California.

:huh:

2 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if an out of state tag would be probable cause for a search in California.

Been driving in CA for 7 months on Oregon tags with no problems.

No offense to those who live there, but when you enter CA, MA, or NJ you're essentially leaving the United States and entering a sovereign nation with its own laws and culture. Think of it that way and it'll be easier to deal with.

1 minute ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

No offense to those who live there, but when you enter CA, MA, or NJ you're essentially leaving the United States and entering a sovereign nation with its own laws and culture. Think of it that way and it'll be easier to deal with.

No offense, but Washington ain’t far behind.

Just now, Sixgun Sheridan said:

You need to put Maryland into that group!!  

Fortunately, I haven't lost a damned thing in ANY of those states!!  I have relatives in two of them and if they want to see me, they are welcome here.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

I notice how vague the CA DOJ wording remains.
Even on the "latest and greatest" there is nothing definitive about out-of-state shooters bringing in the hand loads for an event.

Newsom is quoted as to not worrying about the gun.
He is all about restricting the ammo.

That way he sidesteps the "infringement" part of ownership, by simply preventing one from using their firearm.
The state of CA terrifies me... I do not want to risk financial ruin.

You can bring in ammo for shooting events here.

Which is good, since you can't buy ammo be'n a non-resident. :rolleyes::angry:

OLG

9 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The place where 37 million of us live and raise our families is not part of the United States that I fought for and lost friends for? I can't imagine how that could possibly be offensive to anyone

:blink:

The PRK has made it quite clear that they will no longer respect the laws or authority of the Federal government. 

35 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

No offense, but Washington ain’t far behind.

And Oregon and Arizona and Florida and Virginia, and (gulp) possibly even Texas. Funny how freedom of speech doesn't change when you cross a state line, but there is an increasing number of states where apparently the Second Amendment doesn't even exist.

43 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

The place where 37 million of us live and raise our families is not part of the United States that I fought for and lost friends for? I can't imagine how that could possibly be offensive to anyone

Many years back I learned that no one can insult you. If they say something about you that is true, how can the truth be insulting? And if what they say is not true, who cares?

Thus, if what Sixgun Sheridan said about the state of California is true, then suck it up, and admit that your state is no longer an actual part of the US.

If, however, what he said is a lie, then ignore it.

I see no reason to be offended in either case.

2 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Nah. There are tens of thousands of out of state visitors to California each year. They couldn’t search all of em.

1 hour ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

People occasionally go overboard in voicing their disgust with the government of California. 

We, like thousands of California residents, are understandably outraged at the direction the politicians and liberal voters have taken a great state. I feel the state has been headed down the wrong path for years. I hope the pendulum will swing the other way in the future and the citizenry will be able to reverse the trend of rabid liberalism that has taken hold of the State House and urban coast. 

I have friends and relatives there. I feel okay in visiting there and have no fear of being oppressed like some foreign totalitarian country. Of course I don’t approve of many of the laws there. Neither do my conservative relatives.  It’s still a beautiful place with a lot of good people.

But I think it’s crazy to call it a separate country. At least until they actually secede. 

Which won’t happen. ;)

18 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

People occasionally go overboard in voicing their disgust with the government of California. 

We, like thousands of California residents, are understandably outraged at the direction the politicians and liberal voters have taken a great state. I feel the state has been headed down the wrong path for years. I hope the pendulum will swing the other way in the future and the citizenry will be able to reverse the trend of rabid liberalism that has taken hold of the State House and urban coast. 

I have friends and relatives there. I feel okay in visiting there and have no fear of being oppressed like some foreign totalitarian country. Of course I don’t approve of many of the laws there. Neither do my conservative relatives.  It’s still a beautiful place with a lot of good people.

But I think it’s crazy to call it a separate country. At least until they actually secede. 

Which won’t happen. ;)

Thanks and well said. It took most of my life, 40 states, and 2 dozen countries to finally find a place to settle that I love. I'm not about to be driven out by wackos in Sacramento.

5 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What gun?

If it's not a so-called AW, your're GTG.

Just keep it in a locked case........

Auto knives-Yes on restrictions.

OLG

Unloaded with ammo in another place???

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

And Oregon and Arizona and Florida and Virginia, and (gulp) possibly even Texas. Funny how freedom of speech doesn't change when you cross a state line, but there is an increasing number of states where apparently the Second Amendment doesn't even exist.

Ohio still rocks!! Really gun friendly state and governor! The house is currently working on trying to pass a bill to allow no permit carry!!

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Unloaded with ammo in another place???

The law no longer actually says that. It’s a gray area that Asst DAs dabble in to make names for themselves.

9 hours ago, Charlie Plasters, SASS#60943 said:

I'd change my plans and avoid the state altogether.  Stay in Arizona and drive down here. T'ain't that far and I'll even buy you breakfast.

8 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'd change my plans and avoid the state altogether.  Stay in Arizona and drive down here. T'ain't that far and I'll even buy you breakfast.

That breakfast plan sounds good Forty but the 25th anniversary party we are attending is in Camarillo .

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Been driving in CA for 7 months on Oregon tags with no problems.

Be careful with that one, I got a ticket in that exact situation.  Cop said he pulled me over because, "I had Oregon plates but I looked like I was coming home from work".  To his credit, it was a Jeep with no doors, but still kind of discretionary on his part.

Archived