SASS Wire Forum

Rifle stock cover recommendations.

I have a 73 that I have added length to and flattened off the butt. Right now I have a home made buckskin cover on there that is too thin and makes the stock feel kinda weird on the shoulder. Anybody got any favorites for a stock cover made of heavier duty leather? 

Thanks!

Shifty

Double Diamond builds very nice stock covers. You can PM him.

EC5AB67E-2319-4DEC-9373-F0D98DFC81C4.jpeg

CDE3640D-95C5-4997-B39A-4549BF1BB6DA.jpeg

For a "plain" butt stock cover that can usually be sent out immediately, I use Kirkpatrick's work.   They suede the leather surface where the shooter's shoulder and cover meet, to minimize slippage.   And the leather is heavy weight.

http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/accessories/rifle-butt-cover-52

Good luck, GJ

57 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

Does anyone make a nice stock cover that doubles as a recoil pad?

Double Diamond.

Part of the purpose of a good cover is to help "glue" the stock to your shoulder so it doesn't shift around while shooting.  For that reason I like covers for both my shotguns and rifles to have the flesh side of the leather out at the butt end where it contacts my shoulder.  That's why I don't care for the Kirkpatrick model.  Kirkpatrick makes fantastic gear.  Both of my holster rigs are from them.  But I've found even though they rough up the back end of their stock covers they're still too smooth for me.  They don't offer enough purchase, especially if you're wearing a shirt that is a bit slick due to having some sort of synthetic material in it.

Just personal opinion you may want to consider.

Klickatat Bob shot on my posse at eot this year and he had some very impressive work in butt cover and barrel cover (for splinter for-ends on doubles).

drfordyce@msn.com.  Sun City West, AZ

Archived