SASS Wire Forum

Widder Henry 22 outlaw style

Warden Callaway

How many would be shocked to see a kid even exposed to guns, much less let loose to shoot one. Then she pulls out a big honkin' knife and goes to work on it!  She probably used the same knife to skin her first buck. 

CUTE.

Warden, do you know if the rifle was misfeeding or was she hitting the lever on the edge of the table

without fully working it thru the stroke?

If its jamming, it should be returned to me.  And everyone knows I will pay return shipping.

Thanks for posting.

..........Widder

2 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

CUTE.

Warden, do you know if the rifle was misfeeding or was she hitting the lever on the edge of the table

If its jamming, it should be returned to me.  And everyone knows I will pay return shipping.

Thanks for posting.

..........Widder

I know nothing.  (And have plenty of folks that will back me up on that.)  I just ran across this on a search of YouTube.  Maybe the the person that uploaded the video will be able to add details.  

I think I know who it might be.   If so, its probably the lever hitting the edge of the table

because the owner and daughter have been VERY happy with their rifle.   Matter of fact,

she's had to tell her brothers to keep their hands off it..... :)

..........Widder

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I think I know who it might be.   If so, its probably the lever hitting the edge of the table

because the owner and daughter have been VERY happy with their rifle.   Matter of fact,

..........Widder

Sounds like my daughter. I just tried to pm you, but your box is full (is it ever not full haha?). Are you still taking in Henry 22 work? I'd love to send my son's in. Thanks pard

4 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

..........Widder

That's our friend's granddaughter, Melody Hotgun. She is just getting started but has been having a lot of fun!

It looks to me like she is just short stroking it. I'd bet the gun is fine. They did have some feeding issues with CCI SV ammo which feeds perfectly fine in my daughter's gun. I don't think they've had a problem after switching to Winchester wildcats though. 

How refreshing!

She knows when to use the gun and when to use the knife.  I would be honored to posse with her!

4 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Sounds like my daughter. I just tried to pm you, but your box is full (is it ever not full haha?). Are you still taking in Henry 22 work? I'd love to send my son's in. Thanks pard

3 hours ago, Chicken George* said:

That's our friend's granddaughter, Melody Hotgun. She is just getting started but has been having a lot of fun!

It looks to me like she is just short stroking it. I'd bet the gun is fine. They did have some feeding issues with CCI SV ammo which feeds perfectly fine in my daughter's gun. I don't think they've had a problem after switching to Winchester wildcats though. 

EL Hombre:   if you can email me or call me, that would be a good way to contact me.

widder1894@icloud.com

865 / 696-1996

I look forward to hearing from you.

Howdy Chicken George.

Thanks for the information.   If you get a chance, let him know that I will pay for return shipping

and make sure it feeds the ammo correctly.

The mods I do should help it feed nearly all of our .22 ammo correctly.

I actually live fire test each rifle with either CCI Quiets,  CCI Blazer,  CCI SV, and sometime, various Aguila ammo.

Hope you are doing well.   Keep in touch.

..........Widder

HEY!!  Widder!!  Are you coming to Black Gold??  I have a li'l Henry that needs your attention!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

HEY!!  Widder!!  Are you coming to Black Gold??  I have a li'l Henry that needs your attention!!

Sorri Blackwater.   I don't plan to be there this year.

If Long Gulch is there, he can bring it back home to me.

Call me tomorrow if you want....... 865 / 696-1996

..........Widder

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 5:26 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

CUTE.

Thanks for posting.

..........Widder

Widder - this is my grand daughter going at it with that awesome Henry you slicked up for her a few months back. I ran it myself on CCIs cause I just couldn't believe all the fail to feeds with her shooting it. But sure enough, it doesn't seem to like em. When I changed to Wildcats the FTFs went away for the most part. We're (Chicken George and I) are gonna do some more testing on it before sending it back to you. I want to make sure it's not operator error. And besides, I can't hardly get it out of her hands long enough to ship it anywhere!

No one should think any less of your work because of this video. I never dreamed it would be found on my youtube channel and posted here. I just thought it was fun watching her clear her own gun, plus I want her to be able to look back when she's a SASS world champ someday and see where she started.

I've never felt a gun as smooth as that. Amazing work. Just wish they'd let us older gents shoot .22s! ;)

Will Two Gun Adams SASS 89352

2 hours ago, Will Two Gun Adams said:

I never dreamed it would be found on my youtube channel and posted here. 

I'm guilty.  I regularly search YouTube for new Cowboy Action Shooting videos.  I came across this one and just thought it too inspiring to pass up sharing. 

Kids can be capable of far more if given the opportunity and guidance.  Years ago we had our two granddaughters.  One about 4 or 5 was running around barefoot and got to noticing the nails heads sticking up on the boardwalk in front of one of our buildings.   She wanted me to drive them back in.  I just found a hammer and tost it down at her feet.  She looked at me like I was crazy. I told her if she wanted to have them hammered back in, she'd have to do it herself.  She pecked at the nails on the boardwalk then went after the nails on the board and batten walls for an hour - even giving the tight ones a wack for good measure.  When satisfied,  she brought the hammer to Mary and told her that she had always wanted to hammer nails.

Will Two Gun,

Thanks for the information.

If you think there is 'anything' not right with that rifle, please feel free to ship it back to me.

I don't need the stock so feel free to remove it before shipping.

AND, I'll refund any shipping cost back to you.   Those rifles are suppose to run near perfect.

I've heard of a couple having some 'No Fire' issues but I was told it was some very old, cheap .22 ammo.

But feeding and ejections should be flawless and near effortless with the ammo you are trying

to use.

A rifle with feeding issues is discouraging to the shooter and we surely don't want to

have an unhappy shooter..... especially a new young shooter..... ;)

I've put nearly 5000 rounds thru mine, mostly CCI and some Aguila, with no issues.

Feel free to call me if ya want at:  865 / 696-1996

email:  widder1894@icloud.com

Thanks

..........Widder

7 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'm guilty.  I regularly search YouTube for new Cowboy Action Shooting videos.  I came across this one and just thought it too inspiring to pass up sharing. 

Kids can be capable of far more if given the opportunity and guidance.  Years ago we had our two granddaughters.  One about 4 or 5 was running around barefoot and got to noticing the nails heads sticking up on the boardwalk in front of one of our buildings.   She wanted me to drive them back in.  I just found a hammer and tost it down at her feet.  She looked at me like I was crazy. I told her if she wanted to have them hammered back in, she'd have to do it herself.  She pecked at the nails on the boardwalk then went after the nails on the board and batten walls for an hour - even giving the tight ones a wack for good measure.  When satisfied,  she brought the hammer to Mary and told her that she had always wanted to hammer nails.

I'm glad you found it - I just didn't want anyone thinking anything bad about Widder's gun work. I had to join up with this here wire thingy just to set the record straight. I usually let Chicken George do all the wire reading and then catch me up. He's only on here about 59 minutes out of every hour.

I hear ya about letting kids do stuff. IMHO one of the problems with the country today is Millennials and others never got to "do" things when they were growing up. We gotta reverse that - one shooter or hammerer at a time. :)

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Will Two Gun,

Thanks for the information.

If you think there is 'anything' not right with that rifle, please feel free to ship it back to me.

I don't need the stock so feel free to remove it before shipping.

AND, I'll refund any shipping cost back to you.   Those rifles are suppose to run near perfect.

I've heard of a couple having some 'No Fire' issues but I was told it was some very old, cheap .22 ammo.

But feeding and ejections should be flawless and near effortless with the ammo you are trying

to use.

A rifle with feeding issues is discouraging to the shooter and we surely don't want to

have an unhappy shooter..... especially a new young shooter..... ;)

I've put nearly 5000 rounds thru mine, mostly CCI and some Aguila, with no issues.

Feel free to call me if ya want at:  865 / 696-1996

email:  widder1894@icloud.com

Thanks

..........Widder

Thanks, Senor. Us Lead Delivery Service people out here in the land of #NewMexicoTrue Green Chile have been kinda busy of late, but CG and I will try to get that thing thoroughly tested this weekend. Will let ya know what we find.

Thanks.

Think of me as your next door neighbor who can sharpen your mower blades........ never hesitate to

let me know you need some help.

Keep me informed.

Thanks

..........Widder

On 7/18/2019 at 4:36 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Thanks.

Think of me as your next door neighbor who can sharpen your mower blades........ never hesitate to

let me know you need some help.

Keep me informed.

Thanks

..........Widder

OK, from our testing yesterday we determined, that yup, the gun doesn't seem to like CCIs. We tried some of Chicken George's and some of mine even wondering if I got a bad batch. The rifle can be babied to shoot them, but not if you want to try to go fast. Melody Hotgun is not going fast yet but she still has about one fail to feed in every ten. Weird thing is the Wildcats will go for her all the time (but she shot em all up yesterday morning! Kept coming back for another run. heheh). I've looked at the differences and it's just tiny in the bullet nose shape.

So I'm gonna remove the stock and let you take a look at it. I'll also throw in a few mower blades. ;)

Will Two Gun:

Great.   And thanks for the update.   If you determine anything, feel free to post it on the Wire, 

whether its something I may have done or not.   Any information shared on the Wire is helpful

to everyone.

When you remove the cover, the first and second things I would like for you to do is:

1.   check to see if the carrier will wiggle and if its 2 screws are snug.   Be sure not to over tighten

because they are steel screws going into an aluminum carrier.   But they need to be snug.

2.  And when you are checking our the looseness of the carrier, push down on the 'lifter arm'

a few times to see if you have any strong resistance or if it feels gritty.

The lifter arm is under some spring pressure, but it should not feel overly strong.

And, it should push down with slight pressure and freely pop back up.

As always, feel free to call me if you have any questions.

AND..... I still think that rifle should run flawless with CCI and if you don't find an apparent problem,

get it in the mail and I will get it right back to you immediately.  

Those rifles should run very well, especially with CCI.

P.S. - I hope you didn't get any bad, out of spec OAL ammo.   You might want to check

out the OAL of those .22's also.

865 / 696-1996

..........Widder

I've fixed many 22s over the years by just taking them apart and cleaning them.  In every case the owners didn't have a clue how to take them apart for cleaning.   "I sprayed WD40 in it and it worked a couple of times so I sprayed some more..".  There would be a tablespoon of what looked like cheating tobacco inside the action. 

i like a young lady that fixes her own issues , just sayin , i got the feeling this young one will run her own life as well as her own guns in the future , she is one that ill bank my future on as well as my grandkids 

22 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I've fixed many 22s over the years by just taking them apart and cleaning them.  In every case the owners didn't have a clue how to take them apart for cleaning.   "I sprayed WD40 in it and it worked a couple of times so I sprayed some more..".  There would be a tablespoon of what looked like cheating tobacco inside the action. 

Took it apart - clean as a whistle. Hasn't been shot much and didn't like CCIs from the get-go. Checked the OAL on my CCIs versus the Wildcats and it's all good. Plus, Chiken George's wouldn't go through either, but they go through his daughter's just fine. On its way back soon as I can conjure up Widder's shipping address. :)

UPDATE:

I was able to get the rifle and check it over.   The feeding problem was real, especially with

some of the lead bullets such as the CCI Standard Velocity.

CULPRIT:  The plunger SPRING, which pushes upwards on the 'lifter bar' inside the carrier 

apparently wasn't strong enough to push the lifter bar upwards, due to some drag

on the lifter bar and its channel which was a little rough inside its channel.

The reason for the FTF with certain lead ammo was because the weakened spring, combined with

some carrier roughness, wasn't forceful enough to push some of the LEAD bullets  across the

rim area of the next round coming out of the mag tube.

In the Henry .22, when the bullet enters the carrier and sits above the lifter bar, it actually sits

at a slight angle with the bullet nose tilted in a downward angle.  The downward angle

requires a certain amount of SPRING pushing upwards on the lifter bar to overcome

the pressure being put on it from remaining rounds in the mag tube. 

Hopefully, I've fixed the problem with a spring change and some minor 'de-burring' inside the

carrier.    I functioned 160 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity rounds thru it with Zero issues.

Now we await a great video of Melody Hotgun burning it up.

The rifle is being shipped back today.....Friday.

Two Gun, thanks for contacting me and sending me the rifle.

If any other issues arise, just give me a shout.

..........Widder

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2019 at 10:43 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

UPDATE:

I was able to get the rifle and check it over.   The feeding problem was real, especially with

some of the lead bullets such as the CCI Standard Velocity.

CULPRIT:  The plunger SPRING, which pushes upwards on the 'lifter bar' inside the carrier 

apparently wasn't strong enough to push the lifter bar upwards, due to some drag

on the lifter bar and its channel which was a little rough inside its channel.

The reason for the FTF with certain lead ammo was because the weakened spring, combined with

some carrier roughness, wasn't forceful enough to push some of the LEAD bullets  across the

rim area of the next round coming out of the mag tube.

In the Henry .22, when the bullet enters the carrier and sits above the lifter bar, it actually sits

at a slight angle with the bullet nose tilted in a downward angle.  The downward angle

requires a certain amount of SPRING pushing upwards on the lifter bar to overcome

the pressure being put on it from remaining rounds in the mag tube. 

Hopefully, I've fixed the problem with a spring change and some minor 'de-burring' inside the

carrier.    I functioned 160 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity rounds thru it with Zero issues.

Now we await a great video of Melody Hotgun burning it up.

The rifle is being shipped back today.....Friday.

Two Gun, thanks for contacting me and sending me the rifle.

If any other issues arise, just give me a shout.

..........Widder

OK, so we FINALLY got back out to Chicken George's range to do some testing. This video is the result - works PERFECTLY now with the CCIs. Not a single FTF (feed) in a whole box! Good work, my friend. She's ecstatic about it. I told her you included a little something for her to go buy some .22s and she said thanks, but you didn't have to do that! :) I'm also including a bonus video of her shooting her '97.

2-Gun,

thanks for posting.   Priceless.

Her SG is impressive and its good to see that she isn't intimidated.   Nice work.

Please let me know if there are any other issues or if I can help in any way.

..........Widder

I recently acquired a new Henry Frontier 22LR.
Was the above problem something revealed after slicking with reduced springs, or a manufacturing bug that came with the rifle?

37 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I recently acquired a new Henry Frontier 22LR.
Was the above problem something revealed after slicking with reduced springs, or a manufacturing bug that came with the rifle?

You'd have to get Widder to chime in with the official explanation. but it appears it was something that came with the rifle. Widder just fixes em and makes em go fast. This particular gun needed a bit more "fixin" than usual and now it's so smooth it almost runs itself. :)

Hey bgavin.

Actually, it was a replacement spring that I use in the carrier..... and not the factory spring.

I have used the same springs on probably 50 Henry rifles but for unknown and unforeseen reasons,

it seem to have 'given up the ghost' and lost some of its strength in a short amount of time.  

But another item was also part of the problem.....from the factory.

The plunger inside the carrier (which pushes up on the cartridge lifter) is hollow,

which the spring sits up into.   It appeared (without measuring) that

the plunger hole was cut deeper and therefore, spring compression was less.

One other item... there was some minor 'blemishes' inside the carrier where the cartridge lifter

moves up and down.   These blemishes could have caused some restrictions on the cartridge lifter

to move up and down freely.   I went inside of the carrier and smoothed up the lifter channel.

One a side note, with the strength of the factory spring, I doubt those blemishes would have ever

effected her feeding issue.   Basically, the spring I used allowed the other MINOR issues to become

more prevalent.  

Two Gun... thanks for the kind words.

..........Widder

Archived