SASS Wire Forum

Winchester making all brass shotshells

I just discovered this...

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/WWII-Victory-Series

I can see myself buying a couple of boxes, or more.

But only if they are boxer primed for reloading.   A few years ago someone gave me a box of newly made Remingtons, and I discovered much to my chagrin that they were berdan primed.

The only real drawback I can can see to them is that they are loaded with 00 buck.  Which means you need to either go hunting with them, or just shoot 'em off before you can reload them for SASS use.  

Unless someone wants to figure out a side match or something that they would be okay for...

In 1991 Remington donated a case of their "Ducks Unlimited" shotshells for our first annual match.  They were #4 shot and all Berdan primed.  And a little too stout for CAS... IMO.  My guess is that they weren't great sellers and Rem thought it'd be a good write-off to our non-for-profit club.  I've read of a couple ways to make them boxer primed or to use 209s... but I've not been successful.

26 minutes ago, Griff said:

In 1991 Remington donated a case of their "Ducks Unlimited" shotshells for our first annual match.  They were #4 shot and all Berdan primed.  And a little too stout for CAS... IMO.  My guess is that they weren't great sellers and Rem thought it'd be a good write-off to our non-for-profit club.  I've read of a couple ways to make them boxer primed or to use 209s... but I've not been successful.

The older Lyman manuals (44 or earlier)  tell how to convert all  brass shells to 209 primers.  The procedure sounds fairly easy.

Duffield

Um, you do realize that's a little over $5.00 per round ....... right??  For 2-n-3/4 inch shells that are roll crimped, over-powered for CAS and use an illegal shot size??   Seems a little ...... MUCH.  Unless you just want 5 for home defense.  Or something.

13 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Um, you do realize that's a little over $5.00 per round ....... right??  For 2-n-3/4 inch shells that are roll crimped, over-powered for CAS and use an illegal shot size??   Seems a little ...... MUCH.  Unless you just want 5 for home defense.  Or something.

You do realize that if they use 209 primers, that’s a savings of over $2.00 per shell from ordering most brass shells and about the same price as a box of empty, unprimed Magtec?

I will buy a couple boxes if I can find ‘em, shoot ‘em whenever I need buckshot, and then load ‘em up for cowboy!!

16 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I believe, without looking, that this is the military special edition for D-days celebration. 45 ACP, .30 Carbine, 30-06 M1 Garand ( that is to powerful for a standard Garand) and the 12g for the 1897s. I have checked out something that adjust the amount of gas that you can add in a Garand so you can fire modern .30-06, until you make this addition to your rifle I am told that it is harmful to shoot anything but the ammo similar to what was issued in WWII. I am sure someone here shoots Garlands and can elaborate. I bought one and shot with about 5 clips a while back and now I know why I had crappy results. 

I am going to shoot nothing but brass shotshell.I have two boxes of brass UMCs and 5 boxes of magtec.Like the UMCs much better but they are had to find.Bought these two boxes off the wire.Thanks Dawg.Would still like a few more boxes of brass .

Be interesting to fid out whom is making the All Brass hulls for Winchester.  I had some WW All Brass with that funny raised area that locked up my antique Hammer Doubles.  Gave them the Heave Ho.

53 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Be interesting to fid out whom is making the All Brass hulls for Winchester.  I had some WW All Brass with that funny raised area that locked up my antique Hammer Doubles.  Gave them the Heave Ho.

ACK

Next time heave them in my direction.   :)

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

I have more old Rem-UMC hulls than Winchester, but they seem about the same other than the headstamp and both work fine in a Baikal and TTN.

9 minutes ago, Appalachian Alan said:

I think the little wooden box is a case of 5 boxes of 5 shells.  25 shells ?  $27

at lease according to a few listings.

but not in stock.

I think a "box" is 5 shells for $27.  The wooden "case" holds 5 boxes.

Eye Matey!!  Atz-a-way I read it.  A "box" is 5 rounds for 27 bucks and change.  That's $137.45 for 25.  That's right at $5.50 a round.  That's some expensive.  I'd sure like to have a couple of those nifty wood boxes though  :) 

For what it's worth here is a youtube video to reloading smokeless and black powder in Magtech shotshells.

Archived