SASS Wire Forum

Trail Boss Loads for 105 grain 38 Caliber

bgavin

The casings have a little soot on the outside, but not bad.  Seems to be a little cleaner than 3.3 grains of Trail Boss with the same setup.  

13 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I shot thousands of these through one of my Marlins.  It loved them.  I'll send a link for a current supplier.  (My former supplier left the business.)

Q: what are the specifics of the load?  Powder, grains, etc.
I also own a Marlin, and still muddling around for that "best" 38SP load with an OAL that comes closest to 357 lengths to avoid any feeding issues.

I'm searching for that ideal medium burn powder that matches well with heavier bullets for rifle use.
Fast burn powders and light loads are not ideal for this use.

2 minutes ago, Two Shoots said:

The casings have a little soot on the outside, but not bad.  Seems to be a little cleaner than 3.3 grains of Trail Boss with the same setup.  

My understanding is the closer one gets to 15k psi, the cleaner it gets due to the better case seal and reduction of blow-by.
With this in mind, "dirty" is an unavoidable side effect of light loads.

What is considered "dirty"?

A little soot on the cylinder or unburnt powder in the bottom of the barrel?

I used Trail Boss for my first year and I like it. I was not trying to make bunny farts, just keep the  bullet from leading the bbl. I want to feel the gun go off!

Case capacity was my primary concern.

I had lots of 700x around, but found it very dirty with lots of blow by in the winter with light charges.

I now use Alliant Ultra Lite because because  it's intended purpose is for light shotgun loads. The charge is very light and does not fill the case very much and 1/10th of a grain makes a difference (not a good choice if your want to eliminate all recoil). But it is as clean burning as anything else I've tried. Sooty, yes. but shiny clean after several matches of use. It has  been very consistent round to round in all weather. 106 - 9 degrees F.

Everyone has their pet powder, mostly based highly upon availability.  Cost of Trail Boss was my only consideration to change.

I'm just gauging by the amount of soot on the outside of the casings, never noticed unburnt powder in the barrel.  I've tried a variety of OAL's, powder charges, moly coated (Bear Creek) bullets vs Hi-Tek poly coated, (Chey Cast & Mo Bullet), different amounts of crimp, (Dillon & Lee FCD), and the Trail Boss leaves heavier and more predominant black streaks on the outside of the casings.  I like Trail Boss for its high volume attributes, and still use it for rifle loads, but the velocities and power factors, at these light loads, were not as consistent as Clays.  I like the fact that Clays is available in 4 lb jugs vs Trail Boss in 2 lb.  I don't shoot much in the extreme cold so can't attest as to how temperature affects the outcome.

Everyone has their favorite combination and that's great.  It's fun to see what fellow shooters are having luck with!!  

Archived