SASS Wire Forum

Colt SAA Question

Hashknife Cowboy

Why do some SAA have a base pin bushing and some do not?

Thanks for the answers.  I recently picked up a 44-40 SAA without a bushing and was curious.  I find that I have better luck in finding a Colt SAA in those smaller mom and pop gun stores off of the beaten path, than trying to deal with Colt or ordering one.  If I find it and I have the $$ then I will buy it.    

26 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Colt changed their design (Gen 3), then put it back in of late.

My basic understanding...

Yep, that's the answer.  Here's an article explaining it a bit:  http://sixgun-forums.com/sixguns/content/12-colt-single-action-army-3rd-generation 

It details why a later 3rd Gen, (sometimes mistakenly called a 4th Gan),  is a tad more desirable than an earlier 3rd Gen.

This article is a little out of date, as Colt's SAA is now strictly a Custom Shop item.  Some of the Custom Shop offerings of the mid-2000s were quite nice, with options of multiple calibers, striking CCH, deep blues, custom roll stamp marks, availability of Black Powder Frames, beveled cylinders and more, with about a 4-5mos wait time... These days, it's strictly .45 and .357.  The backlog is counted in years, and not much in the way of customization.   

Used 3rd Gen prices are all over the map, depending on seller, site, condition (of course!), and the gun's configuration.

McCandless got a question.

What’s a parts gun worth, frame and grip frame/trigger guard serial # makes them 1906 vintage barrel and cylinder appear to be 1990s vintage, all reblued. 7 1/2” Barrel stamped Frontier Six Shooter 44-40. It’s a good shooter.

1 hour ago, Bull Skinner said:

What’s a parts gun worth, frame and grip frame/trigger guard serial # makes them 1906 vintage barrel and cylinder appear to be 1990s vintage, all reblued. 7 1/2” Barrel stamped Frontier Six Shooter 44-40. It’s a good shooter.

It's hard to say.  Depends, is all I can say.  A Franken-gun would probably go for less than the sum of it's parts.   Check out the retail of the old parts on Numrich Gun Parts.  Then look at the regional or online auctions at Rock Island, (don't forget to factor in the 18 percent buyers premium +shipping+ffl fees.  Recent prices of similar low-collectible-desireability Colts has been in the $600-900 range.  

Collector's auctions are often the best place to buy the less desirable guns because collectors often pass on them.

8 minutes ago, Three Gun Cole said:

I ordered a pair June 2018. Still waiting 

Someone posted in the last few days that they got notification that their guns are going into production this week, after 2-1/2 yrs.

The ones I bought from the Custom Shop came in just 5 months, but it's been more than a decade.

2 hours ago, Bull Skinner said:

Maybe $1000...in today's market.

Colt when back to the removable cylinder bushing set-up in the early 2000's. I try and get a serial # range and more definitive date soon. 

TB

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

How do you screw a third gen barrel onto a first gen frame. I thought the threads were different.

"A 3rd Generation barrel can be fitted to a 1st or 2nd Generation Single Action, ... it is basically being re-threaded as it is installed."   http://sixgun-forums.com/sixguns/content/12-colt-single-action-army-3rd-generation

The 24tpi mating to the 20tpi, pretty much cross-threading, but it's been done more times than it should have. 

4 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Maybe $1000...in today's market.

3 hours ago, Bull Skinner said:

Thanks Phantom that gets me closer to breakeven on the deal! :rolleyes::lol:

I’ve certainly paid a lot more for a lot less. 

4 hours ago, McCandless said:

Someone posted in the last few days that they got notification that their guns are going into production this week, after 2-1/2 yrs.

The ones I bought from the Custom Shop came in just 5 months, but it's been more than a decade.

That was me. I ordered mine in February of 2017 with a 12-18 month finish time quote. Looks like they missed that one by just a bit

1 hour ago, McCandless said:

"A 3rd Generation barrel can be fitted to a 1st or 2nd Generation Single Action, ... it is basically being re-threaded as it is installed."   http://sixgun-forums.com/sixguns/content/12-colt-single-action-army-3rd-generation

The 24tpi mating to the 20tpi, pretty much cross-threading, but it's been done more times than it should have. 

I forgot about butchers.......

Archived