SASS Wire Forum

What I love about cowboy action shooting and especially Thunder River Renegades (TRR)

Being an old decrepit Grand Dame that shoots blackpower, I’ll never be a fast shooter.  I personally strive for a clean match over a fast match, and if that isn’t possible, the fewer the misses the better.  One of my favorite sayings is “If this were a hunting society, my family would always have meat on the table, just no vegetables because I have a black thumb.”

I have a bad knee which makes it difficult to go up and down steps and impossible to do so while carrying two long guns, but the gentlemen at TRR are always so helpful and willing to take my long guns up and down from the stage and help me up or down the steps for which I am eternally grateful.  I have also found that I am no longer able to withstand the heat of Texas summers (and sometimes spring and fall too) like I used to be able to probably due to age and medicines I take.  Really cold weather (meaning less than 50 degrees) is also uncomfortable, but not near as much as the heat.

While most shooters take much, much less than a minute to shoot a stage (usually less than half a minute, sometimes less than a quarter of a minute), it usually takes me at least a minute or more to complete a stage, but no one laughs at me or makes fun of how long it takes.  I jokingly say I have more fun because I get to spend more time shooting than the fast shooters do.

CAS is also where even shooters in direct competition with you are more than willing to loan you their guns or fix yours if yours break.  There aren’t too many sports that have participants that are willing to do this.  Most CAS shooters are willing to let new shooters try out their guns, ammo, and offer suggestions about guns, rigs, clothing, gun carts, etc. which is seldom found in other organized competitions in which I have participated.  Many CAS shooters loan new shooters guns, ammo, and rigs just so they can participate because we want them to have as much fun as we do and become involved in CAS.

With very rare exceptions everyone is always so friendly and looks out for everyone else and wants you to have a great time which I do at every match.  For all of these reasons, CAS is a great sport and TRR is a fantastic club.

I'm not sure there is anything I could add! "I came for the shooting, I stayed for the people" is a thing. I'm one of the slower shooters out there, and my guns are "entry level," at best. Yet, I get nothing but encouragement and helpful advice. What a great sport.

Lorelei- why would a clean match ever be IMPOSSIBLE? I usually have them. When I don't, it's because I was lazy or careless. The way I've always shot has been to shoot as fast as possible while hitting all the targets. Worked out fairly well. Especially since I finally got it through my head I was never gonna be a top gun. Don't have the tools for it. So now I do the best I can and have a lot more fun.

Even Cathy is coming around. She never used to have clean matches. Now she does. She cleaned Trailhead, the TSRA state championship, and Texas Ghosts TSRA fundraiser at TRR the other day. All this year. 

You shoot as fast as you shoot. Some people can force themselves to become faster shooters. Look at what Oklahoma Dee has done in the years we've known him. We can't do that. But shooting clean is a choice. IMO. You just need to make the choice.

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

SASS is a highway to the por-house 

Nope.  Throughout our marriage Petey has always done something competitive.  CAS is by far the cheapest because he's not crashing anything (as opposed to racing RC airplanes or Go-Karts).  

And what Lorelei said.  Everything she said.  We've been doing this for a couple of decades and if the game gets old, it's still where our friends are.

Well said Lorelei.

I have found the same to be true, (with a very few exceptions, and they don't stay around long!)

1 hour ago, MizPete said:

Nope.  Throughout our marriage Petey has always done something competitive.  CAS is by far the cheapest because he's not crashing anything (as opposed to racing RC airplanes or Go-Karts).  

And what Lorelei said.  Everything she said.  We've been doing this for a couple of decades and if the game gets old, it's still where our friends are.

Agreed, all the firearms I have bought since starting CAS don't add up to what the wife and I spent on accessories the first year we starting riding Harleys much less the cost of the bikes. Attending a weekly match costs about the same as what we spent on a typical Saturday day ride. Plus, unlike the motorcycles., the firearms will loose very little of their value

Well said Miss Lorelei  :)

I remember when I left CAS, for various reasons that I won’t go into here, I spent 10 years doing other things. I shot IDPA and tried to get into other shooting sports. They just didn’t have the same allure. I remember going to a 3 Gun match to check that out and thinking (hoping) “Maybe this will be like Cowboy Action Shooting.”  

It looked interesting and fun but while a couple of other newbies were watching the action I was watching the people. Sure, folks seemed to be having fun but I noticed something that reminded me of what I missed about SASS and CAS. Camaraderie.

During the day I saw several people have gun malfunctions. There was no serious attempt by anyone to help them out or loan them anything. 

Another thing I noticed was what I call “The Equipment Race”. I thought it was bad in CAS. The need and pressure to have all the latest gear and to emulate everything the top shooters were doing. It was obvious that these folks in 3 Gun had that bug much worse than anyone I ever saw in SASS. I am not saying 3 Gun is bad. It’s just not for me. It wasn’t “Cowboy”.

It’s funny, something else that kept rolling around in my head as I searched for other shooting activities. Years ago my friend and I would go to these combat pistol matches put on by some guys from LAPD SWAT and other tactical matches back in the 80’s. I had lots of friends when I started but the better I got the less friends I had. I have never really seen that in CAS. 

I am very glad I came back. I could go on for a lot longer about this, but I don’t think I need to do that. 

Thanks for for starting this thread Miss Lorelei. I agree 100% :)

I agree, Lorelei.  I'm hoping we can get settled down and find a SASS club here.  I'm looking forward to getting back into the game after my 7 year hiatus.

On 7/7/2019 at 9:52 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I always knew we had a lot in common! :wub: 

Admit it, you thought Lorelei  said "what I love about Cats"!

Not to be too argumentative, but I would say that a shooter from the dark side, it would be impossible for you to shoot clean.

No misses on the other hand, is doable.

:D

On 7/8/2019 at 8:43 PM, Red Eye Jim said:

Not to be too argumentative, but I would say that a shooter from the dark side, it would be impossible for you to shoot clean.

No misses on the other hand, is doable.

:D

Yeah, we black powder shooters don't shoot "clean," but we shoot with "no misses" which I managed to do this weekend on a total of ten stages which is a miracle in itself.

5 hours ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

Yeah, we black powder shooters don't shoot "clean," but we shoot with "no misses" which I managed to do this weekend on a total of ten stages which is a miracle in itself.

Congratulations. 

7 hours ago, Lorelei Longshot, SASS #44256 Life said:

Congrats.  I've only managed one "Dirty" clean my own self...

On a 4 stage "fun" day...

And one stage was the same twice...

And you kept only one score.

And I still managed a P...

Both times.

The Jam was delicious though.

Archived