SASS Wire Forum

Ruger New Vaquero 45 Colt Safe Reload Options

Bob Schmidt

I have a Ruger New Vaquero. I see the standard 14,000 max applies to the 45 Colt, but the 45 ACP has a max pressure of what 19,000. So since i'm using the same medium frame, which can handle the 19,000 ACP load, why am I held to the 45 Colt at 14,000, the cylinder thickness seems to be the exact same for both? Any ideas? 

I'm not looking for 44 Mag power, just a little more than the standard 45 Colt. I have a Smith 460, which will shoot the 45 Colt, 454 and 460. Its ok for Alaska but i wanted something lighter for a walk in the woods where black bear could be. 

Read this on the Ruger Forum:

SAAMI for 45 Colt is 14,000 psi. There is no official "+P" but I think plus P loads run around 20,000 psi. Ruger-only loads are 30,000 and up and your New Vaquero cannot handle those safely. 
SAAMI for standard pressure .45 acp is 21,000 psi and plus P is 23,000 psi. The New Vaquero is reportedly safe with both, though personally I stick with standard pressure 45 acp in mine.

Appreciate you input......very confusing on what this revolver will safely shoot over and above 14,000 psi

Bob

No, loads that exceed the SAAMI standard should not be used in the New Vaquero.   If you WANT .44 mag performance, get a .44 Mag revolver. 

Unless you are an expert ballistic technician, working above the industry established pressure levels is asking for a dangerous failure.  It just plainly is not worth the risk to yourself AND THOSE AROUND YOU.   

An original model Vaquero is built much stronger than the New Vaquero.   The New Vaquero is build to the same pressure limits the Colt design of 1873 (but with more modern steels now) runs at with smokeless loads.

As for .45 auto versus .45 Colt pressures in New Vaqueros, are you absolutely sure the same steel alloy and heat treatment is used by Ruger for both of those cylinders?   Are you aware that the specs for the .45 Colt chamber are 0.007" bigger than the chambers for .45 auto?   Then take a look at how much metal remains in the cylinder wall right at the cylinder locking notches.   It's not much!

It's your gun, yes, but it's other folks well being, especially if you are shooting in SASS matches.    Why take a tremendously big chance?   Such pressures are not needed for SASS matches, that is for sure!

Good luck, GJ

6 hours ago, Bob Schmidt said:

I have a Ruger New Vaquero. I see the standard 14,000 max applies to the 45 Colt, but the 45 ACP has a max pressure of what 19,000. So since i'm using the same medium frame, which can handle the 19,000 ACP load, why am I held to the 45 Colt at 14,000, the cylinder thickness seems to be the exact same for both? Any ideas? 

I'm not looking for 44 Mag power, just a little more than the standard 45 Colt. I have a Smith 460, which will shoot the 45 Colt, 454 and 460. Its ok for Alaska but i wanted something lighter for a walk in the woods where black bear could be. 

Read this on the Ruger Forum:

SAAMI for 45 Colt is 14,000 psi. There is no official "+P" but I think plus P loads run around 20,000 psi. Ruger-only loads are 30,000 and up and your New Vaquero cannot handle those safely. 
SAAMI for standard pressure .45 acp is 21,000 psi and plus P is 23,000 psi. The New Vaquero is reportedly safe with both, though personally I stick with standard pressure 45 acp in mine.

Appreciate you input......very confusing on what this revolver will safely shoot over and above 14,000 psi

Bob

Since your original post plainly stated you weren’t looking for 44 Mag loads, I won’t tell you to get a 44 Mag. However, having actually shot large game with both calibers, I’d advise you to get a large frame Ruger in .45 Colt. It can shoot everything from very light loads up to loads that far exceed the 44 Mag. Obviously larger diameter, heavier bullets that can be loaded to higher velocity than the 44, is where the 45 Colt shines. If Elmer Keith had had Rugers in 1925, the 44 Magnum wouldn’t exist!

If you already have the New Model Rugers in .45, I'm afraid you are limited to Colt's SAA loads.  If not, I would second the motion to look for the older model Vaqueros in .44 Magnum.  That cartridge is much more versatile, as it can easily be loaded down to SASS maximum (1000 ft/sec) and below!  For even lighter loads, .44 Special rounds will work.  Full-power .44 Mangle-em loads can be used, and while I would prefer a rifle, any game on the North American continent can and has been taken with .44 Magnum pistols!

Archived