Subdeacon Joe

http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/Quakes/ci38457511.html

spacer.gif recent_earth_header.gif

== PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE REPORT ==

Southern California Seismic Network: a cooperative project of
U.S. Geological Survey, Pasadena California
Caltech Seismological Laboratory, Pasadena, California

grey.gif

Version #4: This report supersedes any earlier reports of this event. This is a computer-generated message. This event has not yet been reviewed by a seismologist.

A major earthquake occurred at 8:19:52 PM (PDT) on Friday, July 5, 2019.
The magnitude 7.1 event occurred 17 km (11 miles) NNE (22 degrees) of Ridgecrest, CA.
The hypocentral depth is -1 km (-0.5 miles).

grey.gif

Magnitude spacer.gif 7.1 - energy magnitude (Me)
Time spacer.gif Friday, July 5, 2019 at 8:19:52 PM (PDT)
Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 3:19:52 (UTC)
Distance from spacer.gif Ridgecrest, CA - 17 km (11 miles) NNE (22 degrees)
Searles Valley, CA - 18 km (11 miles) W (270 degrees)
Trona, CA - 20 km (13 miles) W (271 degrees)
Inyokern, CA - 23 km (14 miles) NE (55 degrees)
Little Lake, CA - 33 km (21 miles) SE (125 degrees)
Coordinates spacer.gif 35 deg. 46.0 min. N (35.766N), 117 deg. 36.3 min. W (117.605W)
Depth spacer.gif -0.86 km (-0.5 miles)
Quality spacer.gif Fair
Location Quality Parameters spacer.gif Nst=65, Nph=53, Dmin=15.2 km, Rmss=0.29 sec, Erho=0.29 km, Erzz=0.72 km, Gp=43 degrees
Event ID# spacer.gif ci38457511
Additional Information spacer.gif map || waveforms
    Moment Tensor Solutions
Waveforms

I felt this one, very small here in San Louis Obispo county.and is very much more than yesterday's. Hope all is well

Why do I get the feeling some folks are puzzled?

In my experience aftershocks are of a lesser intensity.

They are now calling the 6.4 Quake from Thursday a “fore-shock”.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ridgecrest-earthquake-aftershock-recorded-today-2019-07-05/

I think they are 2 separate quakes and I think that 2 in the same area the second being larger is not a good sign. But, that’s just me. I am not a seismologist or a geologist and I don’t play one on TV....I did lean on a TV once when they were wide enough to lean on...:D

Here is some really good info on the Ridgecrest Quakes. 

https://heavy.com/news/2019/07/ridgecrest-earthquake-damage-injuries/

There are links to maps and details on aftershocks and tremors that show all the activity in the area. You may want to use something bigger than a smartphone to look at them.

I truly hope that Dr. Lucy Jones is as smart and savvy on quakes as she seems to be when she says there is a 1 in 20 chance of having another larger earthquake after an initial earthquake. I do hope she is not pulling statistics out of a hat.

It irks me how reporters need to inject fear or drama into every little thing. - from the above article:

She also wrote that the earthquake was not on the San Andreas fault, noting, “M6.4 on a strikeslip fault about 10 miles from Ridgecrest. Not the San Andreas fault. It is an area with a lot of little faults but no long fault.”

Both quakes were centered in Searles Valley. 

As you can see, the San Andreas Fault is no where near Ridgecrest but reporters just can’t help asking about it. 

A4282858-3BAC-4BD6-9425-C55319F6622B.thumb.jpeg.a93ac32772fa6cb834251f01fe6d9baf.jpeg

9F3B93E6-56FB-47BC-B7F0-892884822070.jpeg.d0f9789972b4c389830152bb3878033b.jpeg

My grandson is at "Gleanings for the Hungry" just south of Dinuba, CA.  He said he didn't feel the first one, but felt the second one.  He and other Canadian kids from Alberta are there with a church group pitting peaches.  It's all to do with helping the hungry.

Dr Lucy Jones has been working with CalTech in the seismological lab since 1984.  I've seen her on TV since the Whittier Narrows quake of 1987.  IMHO, she knows her stuff.  She's a little out there and slightly agenda driven but knows her stuff.

Earthquakes are just a fact of life in California. I was born there and lived in southern California for 58 years until 2000 when I retired and moved to Colorado. 2 big quakes really stick in my memory.

1987 Whittier Narrows. I was working on the B2 Stealth Bomber program in Pico Rivera, about 5 miles from Whittier. It happened in the morning when everyone was in the plant. In my area all the lights went out, a 6" water pipe in the ceiling broke and water and ceiling material started falling. I was a department Manager and we had recently did a practice plant evacuation (lucky we did) and everyone got out and to their assigned area in the parking lot. I took role to make sure we didn't lose anyone. Myself and several other Managers decided to go back in our work area to secure Top Secret material we worked with every day. We were inside when an aftershock occurred and we decided to hell with this and left, too damn dangerous. Plant was shut down for a week. Biggest problem was remastering all the assembly tooling and releveling.

1994 Northridge. I was working at our assembly plant at Los Angeles Airport on the F18 fighter program. Happened at 5:00 AM and I was on the freeway going in to work. Concrete falling from the overpasses, electrical transformers exploding and wrecks everywhere. I finally got to work and into an all management meeting. Sent everyone home and surveyed for damage. Again, lost about a week and had to check  the whole assembly line for tooling impacts and damage. We were producing 20 F18's per month, so a lot of hardware effected.

Sure glad we don't have any here in Colorado like the ones in California!

42 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

As you can see, the San Andreas Fault is no where near Ridgecrest but reporters just can’t help asking about it.

That's because most reporters know somewhat less about geology/seismology than they know about firearms.   They do know that the San Andreas Fault Zone runs most of the length of California, and they know the 1906 Quake was on the San Andreas.  Thus endeth their knowledge.  And, as is typical with most people, they ask questions about something and try to relate it to something they know.

:ph34r:  Well, I'd be happy to educate them if they were to stop by here.  If one thinks 6.4 at a distance of 11 miles is bad (and it is), last nights 8:19 pm magnitude 7.1 at a distance of 5 miles was horrendous!  When it became obvious we were having more than another aftershock, I grabbed my wife and we made it for our safe spot (google Triangle of Safety) dodging falling dishes and glassware through the kitchen.  Unable to stand.  Surveyed store and home, checked utilities, family members in town, all PHYSICALLY OK, but rather frazzled nerves.  Not much sleep, and significant aftershocks continue.

We had to cancel our shoot for this morning......:(

The one last night started off with, and had far more 'shake' with higher frequency than the 6.4 did.

We had widows/doors and dishes rattling in this one.

It did set off some car alarms in our neighborhood.

FWIW: We live less than 1 mile from the San Andreas Fault

OLG

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

FWIW: We live less than 1 mile from the San Andreas Fault

So that’s why it has been quiet...it’s scared OLG will put a whoopin’ on it if it gets out of line! :D

Watching the Cal Tech presser last night, there were several reporters who kept trying to get the seismologists (sp?) to blame the quakes on the bombing range at China Lake NAS.  The briefers finally flat said "NO", in no uncertain terms.  Then the press wanted to blame China Lake for not letting USGS engineers on base soon enough.  The briefers had to explain the Navy weren't hiding anything but, were concerned about unexploded ordnance, etc.

The open stupidity of the press is on display where ever you look.

1 minute ago, Joke 'um said:

kept trying to get the seismologists (sp?) to blame the quakes on the bombing range at China Lake NAS. 

I heard some of that.  Frau Doktor Professor Jones at one point snapped "We've set off underground nuclear explosions without causing an earthquake." Or something close to that.  Got quiet for a few seconds.

I'm often amazed at how the people in the spotlight at press conferences like these manage to not say something like, "Look, you effin' MORON!  I've answered that question in all its dozens of forms already!  How the bloody hell can your walk and breathe at the same time?" 

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That's because most reporters know somewhat less about geology/seismology than they know about firearms.   They do know that the San Andreas Fault Zone runs most of the length of California, and they know the 1906 Quake was on the San Andreas.  Thus endeth their knowledge.  And, as is typical with most people, they ask questions about something and try to relate it to something they know.

They know even less about geography. The 7.1 quake epicenter was in the Indian Wells Valley and  the 6.4 was on the border between the Argus Mountains and the Salt Wells Valley. Only the extreme southern end of the line of quakes is in the Searles Valley.

Nice interactive map here.

https://seismo.berkeley.edu/seismo.real.time.map.html

Sure hope these folks are still make'n beer?

Their Mojave Gold is outstanding.

Along with their cream soda.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32527-d283998-Reviews-Indian_Wells_Brewing_Company-Inyokern_California.html

OLG

:ph34r:  Busy day at my store.  Sold out of MRE's in first hour.  Cleaned up messes and organized scrambled merchandise, got flammables dealt with in my shop, and salvaged reloading supplies from floor of the 'bunker'.  Fortunately the hundreds of bullets in the pile were different enough to make it relatively easy.  Too tired now to tackle warehouse and shed.

Some looting reported.  Dollar Tree was hit (gotta wonder about the IQ of looters risking potential penalties and selecting $ Store....), and red tagged mobile homes were apparently burglarized by dirtbags from 'out of town' who took advantage of the opportunity.  They are VERY fortunate I am not in charge......

Aftershocks continue.  Two functioning gas stations last night were swarmed with people gassing up to "get out of town".  Where they gonna go?  I suppose if you rent it would be viable, but I'd want to remain to deal with whatever might happen due to aftershocks.

12:30 to bed, sleep came sometime, but fitfully and interrupted by 3 significant aftershocks.  Early to rise and shovel a path to the toilet......

If I can get my son's help I'll post some photos.

Archived