SASS Wire Forum

Amicus in NY Rifle & Pistol v. NYC

Subdeacon Joe

As an attorney I read briefs and court decisions pretty regularly and even like to think I can write one that is generally well taken.  An Amicus brief is a different animal, however.  This one seems very well written, though I take issue with attacking the decision in Heller at page 9 as you are attacking the body that will decide the case.  I would have danced more carefully around that portion of the argument. 

36 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

As an attorney I read briefs and court decisions pretty regularly and even like to think I can write one that is generally well taken.  An Amicus brief is a different animal, however.  This one seems very well written, though I take issue with attacking the decision in Heller at page 9 as you are attacking the body that will decide the case.  I would have danced more carefully around that portion of the argument. 

+1 - I read that twice an came to the same conclusion.  I have found that an offensive against the bench no matter how veiled,  almost never achieves the desired results.  I have had to caution some in the past for that very thing and made them write a clarification in their briefs so I could determine the intent of their motion.

Charlie

Archived