SASS Wire Forum

black powder lube

pecker bird

years ago I got a formula for some black powder lube, it  contained beeswax, motor oil and molydimum  disulfate , but I don't remember the amounts. 

if anyone has the formula let me know, or any other one that will work , its getting tiresome having to clean my sharps after 3 or 4 rounds.

DGL and SPG both work just fine in my rifles and revolvers. Equal parts of bees wax and lard seem to work also. Then there is bees wax and olive oil that works to. Too much olive oil in the mix and it will sweat. Don’t understand what Moly would be needed for in a BP cartridge.

Sorry I don’t have the moly recipe.  There are dozens of BP lube recipes, which tells you that they all work.  Start with small batch of a mix of ingredients that you can obtain easily and cheaply. If the results aren’t satisfactory, try another.

I get acceptable results with beeswax/ crisco 50/50 on bullets and over percussion revolver balls.

I use (by weight) 50% bees wax, 40% lard, 10% Olive Oil in a RCBS LAM2.

50/50 bees wax and lard with a few drops of wintergreen essential oil for over the ball in my cap guns.

Ha!!  :lol:  I don't use any lube.  None.  Nada.  APP you see, doesn't require lube  :o   Shoot an entire three day match with my rifles with NO attention :D

60-40 Beeswax and Lard .

Black Powder and Smokeless .

Works for me .

Just Sayn .

Rooster   

12 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Ha!!  :lol:  I don't use any lube.  None.  Nada.  APP you see, doesn't require lube  :o   Shoot an entire three day match with my rifles with NO attention :D

Have you ever used it in a schofield? I’m planning to test that out the next time I can find some on the shelf. 

Why, in fact, yes I have.  And .... TA DA.  I no longer own a Schofield.  Modern made Schofield, be they Uberti, ASM or new build Smith, changed a critical item when they foolishly extended the cylinders for .45 Colt.  Eliminating the original design cylinder bushing allows the Schofield to foul out almost immediately.  Just as bad with APP as BP.  Some folks have reported a work-a-round that sorta worked but I have never found an answer to the failure of "new" Schofield to run BP or Subs.

Anything with 40% beeswax and any other soft greasy mixture that will keep ejecta soft through the next shot.

It's the beeswax that eliminates lead fouling everything else just keeps the powder residue from caking in the barrel.

Ol'  #4 

Maybe instead of a new lube you just need bullets that carry more of it? No lube will work well with BP if there just isn't enough to keep the fouling soft. Can you post a pic of the bullet your are using? I don't have a Sharps but I'm sure there are those here who do, maybe they can help.

Archived