SASS Wire Forum

BP subs in 45 colt

Pedernales Drifter

Good point Phantom.  I am looking for the "competitive" end of the spectrum.  I've got a nice load for 45CS in my vaqueros so the 73 is what I'm trying to feed now.

PD

If you can get 3fg APP, it will fill a .45 Colt case to base of slug without giving a ton of recoil.

For the other subs, a filler might be needed if you want a light rifle load. 

I've never noticed the difference in a rifle between a load with filler to reduce recoil, and a case full of real Black Powder.

Now, from what you have on hand, BlackMZ wins hands down.   777 is highly energetic (aka, powerful).   Filler would let you reduce the amount of propellant you add.  Fillers vary from scary to very chemically safe.   I've used fine granulated Activated Charcoal as a filler on top of the propellant.   Chemically safe (it's already in most of the powders, even subs).  Crunches just like real powder.   Doesn't set into a hard slug like some cereal fillers do over a few months of storage. 

Good luck, GJ

When I load 45 Colt with reduced BP charges I use a 25 grain spout on a flask to dispense FF GOEX or Pyrodex into the case. Then .7cc of cornmeal and a 250g big lube bullet. Runs very well through my rifles. I have used Black MZ the same way and it a little more powerful.

When I was shooting FC my load was a 200gr RNFP Bear Creek Bullet w/ 1.36cc drop (Lee disk) of 777 ... 

The actual average physical weight of the drop w/ 777 was 14.23 grains.

In my 4 3/4 pistols the bullets averaged 625fps and 860fps out of my 20 inch barreled carbine.

Sometimes for the pistols I would keep the same powder volume but drop down to a 180 or 165gr bullet. 

Archived