SASS Wire Forum

A good cowboy and better friend gone...

It greatly saddens me to report that we’ve lost another cowboy.  At 0310 Monday morning Hank, aka Jim Borton, “took the 3:10 to Yuma” and rode off to join the Heavenly posse.

Although he hadn’t been active for a while, Hank was one of the founding members of the renowned Kings River Regulators, and over the years his encouragement and influence helped introduce a number of people to the sport of Cowboy Action Shooting.

Beyond the world of SASS, he had a good life ~ married well, raised three very fine kids, was a successful rancher, active in his community... and was a downright interesting man.

Hank has been featured prominently in some of the short stories I've posted here over the years, which a few of y'all may have read.  I've spent quite a bit of time with his family the last couple of weeks - those stories and a whole bunch more were relived; sometimes multiple times:  "Hey, Hardpan!  Mary Sue wasn't here last night; can ya tell the story about the rhubarb pie again?"

A wonderful friend and the big brother I never had for nearly fifty years, Jim and I shared some good times, a bunch of adventures, and maybe more than a few terrifying moments.  Which surprisingly we survived, relatively intact, even!  

Just for the fun of it, I'll tack on a couple of pictures from "back in the day."  Fraternity parties - 1971, and 1973 respectively.  The last is Half-Breed Pete and Hank preparing for a ride through Golden Gate Park the day after our annual "Western Party" (we hid the horses in the back yard for two weeks!).   Future SASS member for sure!  

367516260_Bortonparty031971.jpg.eb900f838494de398d21daac832ef07c.jpg          IMG_2030.jpg.81bba8750b8782070b41c0dd904a24f8.jpg          180071931_IMG_2031(1).thumb.jpg.d5c11c3321e69fa4e6a1a1c6314ba5f2.jpg

Good friends are a treasure far more valuable than any possession or any honor that can be bestowed.

My condolences for your loss.

Duffield

I'm sorry for your loss Pard.

I know how tough it is to lose such a good friend and partner.

Remember all the good times - even the horror shows and the events that had you go "Whew!! That was close!!"

I am sorry for your loss, Hardpan. The loss of a friend is a loss of a family member. Our friends are sometimes closer than family. 

My sincere condolences on the loss of your friend Hardpan. Prayers goin up for his friends and family.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. Sounds like a great guy.

Condolences for the loss of a good family man and a great partner. Till we all meet again.

Dear Hardpan,

In the small world department, we went to Reedley to celebrate Hubby's mom's 96th birthday today and talked about Hank.

I found out that my MIL graduated from HS in 1941 with Hank's mom, who is still living with Hank's wife on the family farm. They still have reunions every year with the four remaining graduates.  Another of their class lives in the same complex as my MIL.

So sorry for your loss, I know from your stories and Hubby's that he was fun to be around.

Sincerely,

Allie

Allie, if you're still in Reedley, the visitation is tomorrow 2 - 6, at Dopkins Funeral Chapel in Dinuba.

I know Jim's mom, Francis, very well, and have seen her quite a bit lately.  We always exchange hugs... I had a hard time keeping it together a few nights ago when she called me "Jim's close friend and brother."

Jim asked me two weeks ago to do his eulogy.  That was a tough thing to hear - but an honor.  The service is Monday, at Christ Lutheran Church in Reedley, 10:00 a. m.

Archived