SASS Wire Forum

6.4M Quake, Ridgecrest, CA

Subdeacon Joe

Everyone OK?

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/07/04/6-6m-quake-strikes-near-ridgecrest-in-kern-county/

NEAR RIDGECREST (CBSLA) — A 6.4 magnitude earthquake struck in in the remote Kern County community of Searles Valley Thursday morning, about 160 miles northeast of Los Angeles and near the Mojave Desert.

capture-6.jpg?w=300&h=180

(USGS)

According to the United States Geological Survey, the quake struck at 10:33 a.m. Pacific time with the epicenter 7.5 miles southwest of Searles Valley at a depth of 6.6 miles. The earthquake was initially given a magnitude of 6.6, but was later revised to a 6.4. It’s the largest earthquake to hit the region since 1999.

Just heard from some friends in Apple Valley.  They are OK.  Shaken but OK. 

Everyone else outs that way OK?  Prayers up.

My daughter felt it in Huntington Beach. It must have been a deep 6.4 .

The earth was helping celebrate the 4th!

“Puny humans and their “big booms”...HA!”

:ph34r:  Just got to the computer and email after a day of cleanup and 'reorganizing'.  Sirens all afternoon.  Two homes had fires, many power outages, local Walmart closed after losing ceiling panels.  Only one gas station operating, and had 2 block lines in two directions.  Many aftershocks (one just now), some significant, knocking over stuff just replaced on shelves.  Vacuumed up broken glass from dining room cabinet area, and dirt from overturned plants.  Lots of mess in my store, shop, shed and warehouse.  Local grocery and especially liquor stores had significant product damage.

Trona road has a foot-wide pavement rupture, and the only water line into their town broke.  Besides that, no power.  Thankfully, not REAL hot today.....about 100.  It's usually 10 to 15 degrees more for July 4.

The significant (to me) aspect was the SOUND.  Almost before the motion was detected, the noise was like being in a tunnel with a train passing within 3 feet.  I was out in the open, 10 seconds from climbing ladder to roof to service our swamp cooler.  Oddly, I'd forgotten the oil can and returned to shop for it.  otherwise, I could have had a real ride......

Thankfully, no serious injuries, no deaths, and local emergency responders performed well.

Glad to hear you are okay. 

Contacted a couple of friends there and they had about the same damage.  They were in Independence when the quake struck and had a bit of a time getting home.

9 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  Just got to the computer and email after a day of cleanup and 'reorganizing'.  Sirens all afternoon.  Two homes had fires, many power outages, local Walmart closed after losing ceiling panels.  Only one gas station operating, and had 2 block lines in two directions.  Many aftershocks (one just now), some significant, knocking over stuff just replaced on shelves.  Vacuumed up broken glass from dining room cabinet area, and dirt from overturned plants.  Lots of mess in my store, shop, shed and warehouse.  Local grocery and especially liquor stores had significant product damage.

Trona road has a foot-wide pavement rupture, and the only water line into their town broke.  Besides that, no power.  Thankfully, not REAL hot today.....about 100.  It's usually 10 to 15 degrees more for July 4.

The significant (to me) aspect was the SOUND.  Almost before the motion was detected, the noise was like being in a tunnel with a train passing within 3 feet.  I was out in the open, 10 seconds from climbing ladder to roof to service our swamp cooler.  Oddly, I'd forgotten the oil can and returned to shop for it.  otherwise, I could have had a real ride......

Thankfully, no serious injuries, no deaths, and local emergency responders performed well.

We had that tunnel sound here too.

Think you guys may have lost a cell tower, also.

Any word on the condition of the range?

OLG

:ph34r:  Thanks for the good wishes and concern.  Aftershocks are continuing and a bit unnerving at times.  About 4:05 am we had a 5.4 centered only 5 miles away.  That was an attention getter!

Our range is fine---  we're having a July 4 celebratory shoot tomorrow.

Calamity---  We miss you and Uno.  Hope you are doing well.  Have to admire anyone who can adapt to humidity......

Charlie---  where are you headed up this way?  If you pass through Ridgecrest, look me up at Todd's Outdoor Supply  (google us).

Apple Valley just checked in.  They are OK but terrified.  I have heard this increases the chances of the big one by a factor of 10.  Praying that doesn't happen,

1 minute ago, Calamity Kris said:

Apple Valley just checked in.  They are OK but terrified.  I have heard this increases the chances of the big one by a factor of 10.  Praying that doesn't happen,

I have heard helps to take off the pressure….I kinda like this one better…

Texas Lizard

Archived