SASS Wire Forum

BAMM questions

Bugler

For those of you that are shooting BAMM, I have a few questions,

What distances are used?

Paper or steel targets?

Regular ball ammo or Gas checked lead projectiles? What velocities?

What position is used? Prone, Sitting, kneeling, Offhand? All? If prone is a shooting mat allowed?

Is a spotter with scope allowed?

Number of rounds fired? Sighters allowed? Time limit on course of fire?

Any nations rifle or US only? I assume as per issued...?

Thanks to all!

Bugler

Do you have a link to the WB Wire? There doesn't seem to be one in the forum listings........

Bugler

On 7/4/2019 at 11:49 AM, Bugler said:

What distances are used? 40 -200 yards

Paper or steel targets? Steel preferred  but paper if that’s all you got

Regular ball ammo or Gas checked lead projectiles? What velocities?  Around 15-1600 fps Around here it’s strickly g.c. Lead but I think EOT allowed fmj . The reduced velocity really makes the bolt guns a pleasure to shoot. 

What position is used? Prone, Sitting, kneeling, Offhand? All? If prone is a shooting mat allowed? Yes to all although I haven’t seen but one shooter choose prone.

Is a spotter with scope allowed? It’s allowed but really overkill

Number of rounds fired? Sighters allowed? Time limit on course of fire? 10 to 25 with reloads on the clock fed by strippers. We will allow a sighted before if there is time and space. Time limit no maximum but this being a timed accuracy event the shooters have motivation to get the job done. 

Any nations rifle or US only? I assume as per issued...?an as issued rifle from any nation prior to the end of ww2. 

M-48 mauser falls under this umbrella and is full legal for BAMM.  Includes all the ww1  rifles and carbines. Heck it includes the krag! 

Thanks to all!

Bugler

I can’t answer your questions except

to say that I Shot a BAMM match at Ohio State on side match day and I WANT ONE!!  It was so much fun. The scenario was three targets at 70-80-100 yards or something and it was three five shot strings. Each string was its own Nevada sweep.... sitting supported. Buffalo Dick and a cowboy whose name escapes me - it was his rifle...  they could tell you all about it. It was an awesome rifle to shoot and loading with stripper clips - so cool!!

Big hugs!

Scarlett

There were 3 sighters allowed and a 2:00 time limit. The targets were close enough and not dead that you could hear the ding and see them move - didn’t need a spotting scope on that range. The owner of the rifle (whose name still escapes me) provided the ammo - lead projectile unsure about gas check. 

Im ready to do it again!!

more hugs!

Scarlett

On 7/4/2019 at 9:49 AM, Bugler said:

What distances are used?

Paper or steel targets?

Regular ball ammo or Gas checked lead projectiles? What velocities?

What position is used? Prone, Sitting, kneeling, Offhand? All? If prone is a shooting mat allowed?

Is a spotter with scope allowed?

Number of rounds fired? Sighters allowed? Time limit on course of fire?

Any nations rifle or US only? I assume as per issued...?

Thanks to all!

Bugler

As Dusty has mentioned it varies. 

Usually about three distances depends on range.  I sight mine in at 100 and that should cover most cases.

At our range steel and that said all lead, gas checks allowed.  Also velocities are being kept to 1600 fps or under.

I had one guy try my K31 on a turkey swinger at 350m.  Got it on the 6th round.  K31s hold 6 max.

For the 100 meter target standing off hand.  For the 350 he sat.

Spotter not needed but we helped each other if needed.  If I did my part my 158g K31 loads running at 1569fps I was drilling the rough man shaped steel right in center of the chest.

Usually 5 rounds on each target distance. 

We only had the 100 meter more as let's have fun, next time probably three distances.

Any nation as issued through end of WW2.

1903 Springfield two shooters are using.

I as mentioned am using a Swiss K31.  I am a leftie shooter and easier for me with a straight pull bolt.

Also the Swiss built their rifles like their watches.  No war time rush or restrictions.

Key to any BAMM rifle is condition of the bore.

The gunsmith that checked mine just laughed and asked if ever fired. 

The same two shooters are also trying GAMM - Garand rifles.

I don't have one but just for fun brought along the Winchester 1907.  That little carbine is a hoot to shoot.

Mine I could see another side match with 1907 and Remington model 8s.  Or depending on distance lump them in with GAMM and just have a semi auto match. That is getting  off subject though.

I did forget to mention that our combat match features shooter movement. 15 round match might be from 3 different locations any shooting position. We sometimes even have a split shot sequence say 2 shots move shoot 3 more times etc. movement is safe with bolt open or closed on a spent round . Talk about fun and interesting! Dusty

Archived