SASS Wire Forum

Here are two 1911s from out of this world!

Cholla

My goodness, talk about legendary hardware!

I was told years ago -- I was in maybe eighth grade, and the source was dubious, but never let the facts get in the way of a good story -- that when Jim Bowie had his famous fighting knife made, the smith forged in a meteorite, and when he presented the blade to Bowie, he said "This contains a little bit of Heaven and a little bit of Hell!"

I'd have to agree that springs and barrels were likely made of known alloys.

It was interesting to read the description of cutting the meteorite prior to forging.

I don't know how they made them. I thought all of the meteorite material was used to make Captain America's shield with none left over.

17 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I imagine the barrels, chambers and bolt components are made from metals with known strengths 

and springs

Looks to me like the slide stop, thumb safety and grip safeties are made with conventional material as well.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I thought these were auctioned a couple of years ago?

They must be up for sale again...

From 2016:

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/06/01/revealed-cabots-4-5-million-meteorite-iron-1911s/

Those were Cabots. These were custom-made by gunsmith Lou Biondo.

6 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Those were Cabots. These were custom-made by gunsmith Lou Biondo.

They look the same to me.

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

They look the same to me.

They look close enough to be half-brothers. It's crazy to find meteorites large enough to be able to do this and to find buyers crazy enough to buy them. Good on them.

Well, call me crazy but I’d rather have a meteorite than a gun made out of a meteorite.

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I’d rather have an Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator. 

11731962.jpg

Unfortunately Moonbeam has prohibited everyone except aliens from possessing one.

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:01 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well, call me crazy but I’d rather have a meteorite than a gun made out of a meteorite.

I agree. As much as I like 1911s I'd never pay that much for something I can't even use, plus I have a thing for space rocks and volcanic rocks.

25 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

If you think about it hard enough, wouldn't just about any 1911 that's made of material native to this planet have 4 billion year old components?

If you think about it even harder, those components were already several billion years old when they became native to this planet. As a matter of fact, you and I are quite literally 13.8 billion years old. :blink: Forty Rod may be even older. :P

Archived