SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1866 Semi Buckhorn rear Sight

Mountain George

i bought a used Uberti 1866

(please do not laugh about the embellishments / upholstery nails on the gun,

because of this i got it very cheap and replacing the wood is too expensive in D (it costs 3 times what the weapon cost))

but my question is:

Does anyone know if this sight on the 66s fits?

i need to change the original one because i did not see the targets wit it

image.png.a981bc9318bf1ad406bc867197d251fd.png

IMG_20190704_135110.jpg

IMG_20190704_135154.jpg

IMG_20190704_135158.jpg

Nice looking '66 you have there, Mountain George.  If you don't like the tacks, you could always remove them, fill the holes, sand and refinish cheaper than buying new stocks.

Mountain George,

I like the tacks and would like to see pictures of the engraving, nice 66'. Lots of people use that sight on 1860 Henry's, it should fit your dovetail, but I would not be able to confirm it.

Tully

I'll stick my oar in here, based on my own experience with a Uberti 1866 and the fact that all our Pards in the US are likely off celebrating Independence Day.

Nice looking rifle.

Don't fret about the tacks.

Our native Indians commonly embellished their weapons in this manner.

Your back story can be: " I took it off an Indian!*" 

* I feel free to say that, since I'm part Algonquin and I'm not offended. It's history. Get over it.

As for the sights fitting, you should look into the serial number for the vintage/date of manufacture. Some screws and threads changed around 2002, (as I found out with mine) and there could be a different dovetail cut for the sight. Check those details with whoever you buy your sights from.

My buckhorns are from Nate Kiowa Jones and fit not too bad, but the dovetail cut on mine was a little deeper than the sight's itself. It left a little gap, but it doesn't affect anything and the sights are a lot easier to pick up.

I like the looks of your 66!

My experience is that American guns are usually dovetailed to .375"; Ubertis have 10mm dovetails or .394".

I installed a sight on my Uberti 1860 that was made for the .375 slot.  I secured it by adding a brass shim under the sight, in the dovetail.  My shim was made from a .380 casing.  I cut off the case head and hammered the pipe part of the case until it was about .02" thick and flat.  No other mods were required.  I shot that rifle in many matches.

24 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

Mountain George,

I like the tacks and would like to see pictures of the engraving, nice 66'.

Tully

here are the pictures

IMG_20190704_150643.thumb.jpg.b29f821ca01887e85329c14a27aa4351.jpg

IMG_20190704_150655.jpg

IMG_20190704_150717.jpg

Good morning Mountain George...

Fine looking rifle ya got there. I thought it looked familiar...when you have a moment go to the Cimarron website , look under Repeating Rifles/1866 Yellowboy "Pawnee Carbine"..I am not saying it is the same rifle but the "tacking" pattern appears similar, but no engraving like yours. Looks just fine.

Take care and enjoy..

Spoon

Howdy

I have that sight on my Uberti Henry. The dovetail is so near the frame that I could not put a Marbles sight on it. No idea if that sight will fit your 1866, but I suspect it will. If the dovetail is too big you can add a thin piece of shim stock under the sight, which is what I had to do.

trackofthewolfrearsight02.jpg

I go through Track of the Wolf for mine.  Fitting required, but not too difficult.

3 hours ago, Mountain George said:

Did You have an address from him?

and how did you figure out when your rifles was made?

TX

He has  website: Steve's Gunz.

As for when the rifle was made, try the Uberti site or simply try to Google it. Some folks have made lists of serial number and manufacture dates.

2 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

He has  website: Steve's Gunz.

As for when the rifle was made, try the Uberti site or simply try to Google it. Some folks have made lists of serial number and manufacture dates.

Don't use Google the folks at Alphabet (Owners of Google, You Tube and other co's) are anti firearms & anti conservative.  Besides if you use them & don't have some add blocking app. the right & left margins of a webpage will be filled with adds.  Use DuckDuckGo because it doesn't track your internet activity like Google.

10 hours ago, Mountain George said:

how did you figure out when your rifles was made?

TX

Find the date code stamped on the rifle and check it here:  https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/italian-date-codes-up-to-2017-14188.html

23 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Nice looking '66 you have there, Mountain George.  If you don't like the tacks, you could always remove them, fill the holes, sand and refinish cheaper than buying new stocks.

...and you get rid of the Uberti red stocks to boot. I had that sight on two 66's and it works great. You can adjust it with a screw driver too. 

Form some strange reason Uberti has different locations for the dovetails on a 66. Some are way to close to use a standard sight while others you can. 

3 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

...and you get rid of the Uberti red stocks to boot.

Yep, that's going to be one of my projects for August when it's too hot to shoot.  I'm not fond of the red stain or the high gloss either.

I think you just found Tonto's missing rifle :unsure:

OP Question: Does PS-RM-1 fit?

Answer: Your dovetail takes a 0.356" (approx. 8mm) base. 

According to TOTW regarding PS-RM-1, "The dovetail base is .348" long, .622" wide, .065" deep.  Grab your caliper to check the other dimensions on your carbine. (or, $15 at Harbor Freight.) The undersize TOTW width is close, but likely need shim.  Current sight does not seem to be tapered dovetail.

According to ubertireplica.com, you have "Indian Rifle with Tacks, (L04)".  (menu 》 Finishes》 1866...)

The Italian proof date (year) stamp is on left side of barrel, at stock line, between rear sight and receiver. Middle two characters, in the little box.

Suggest that you ignore the current buckhorn, and simply lift the staff portion of the sight.  Much better sight picture, almost ghost ring, if you get creative with PoA.

If the tacks are that bad, why not sell it? Plenty of folks looking to fill out an "early scout" personna.  

I have a 1978 "Red Cloud", very similar to yours, including identical rear sight.  I love the tacks, lots of grip.  I took a mill bastard to the "horns" of the sight, I got tired of oozing blood every time I got close to the sharp things. Unfortunately for the personna, there weren't many fat, old scouts, and the rifle just doesn't make up for it.

Mine is older design with lever safety, one less side plate screw, no external lever lock. 

Archived