SASS Wire Forum

.428 good to go or .429?

Stopsign32v

Well I literally just started reloading 44/40. I know a few things so far to help:

Uberti barrels for 44/40 are .429 bores

You need .429 size expander plug for 44/40 dies if you are loading .429

With that said I read a lot of posts while searching stating in lever action rifles people were having issues with .429 and .430 bullets and all went to .428 bullets. I just loaded up 50 .428 bullets and they look great.

48189467136_b1fa561cbd_z.jpg

What I'm curious about is out of my Uberti revolvers will .428 bullets cause issues with leading or accuracy?

No, 0.428 diameter bullets will work in Uberti .44-40 revolvers just fine.  Most of the time.   CAN you have leading?  If you don't pay attention to your load.  Can you have poor accuracy , poor enough to affect cowboy shooting?  Suppose you COULD assemble perfect storm of loads that won't hit  the side of a barn if shot from the inside.  But probably accuracy will be fine. 

Why not try them when your revolvers come in.   Clean them well, then load them up.

I always shoot .429 slugs when I use .44-40s.   Never a problem with my 73 rifles.  

It is possible that the loose tolerances and various chambering reamers that have been used can give you tight necks in cylinder chambers that mean you might have to go to a smaller bullet.   But you won't know that until you try your guns.  Most likely, you will have no problem.  But the .44-40, like the .38-55, tends to have a few guns made in which tolerances stack up to cause problems.

Go shoot (best at a practice range, so you can take your time, stop when you have or think you have a problem, and not be pressured to "get your stage finished and let next pard shoot")!  Then you will know.

Good luck, GJ

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Looking harder I just found 250ct of .452 big lube bullets! Where did these come from!?! No clue when I got them or what the lube is but I'm going to melt them down real quick and lube them up with some Beeswax and Olive oil for some black powder fun tomorrow! Hot dang I'm gonna keep looking! Maybe a 1851 Colt London next???

31 minutes ago, Stopsign32v said:

WOW!!!!!!!!!

Looking harder I just found 250ct of .452 big lube bullets! Where did these come from!?! No clue when I got them or what the lube is but I'm going to melt them down real quick and lube them up with some Beeswax and Olive oil for some black powder fun tomorrow! Hot dang I'm gonna keep looking! Maybe a 1851 Colt London next???

Bet it's a BP lube............

OLG

1 minute ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Bet it's a BP lube............

OLG

Probably, but I don't know when I got them or if it's still good. They have been in Styrofoam and I got them from  Springfield Slim #24733

For .44-40's I have the following firearms...

1 Uberti Henry

1 Uberti 66

1 AWA Lightning

1 1st Gen antique Colt

1 3rd Gen Colt

1 Uberti SAA Clone

1 S&W antique New Model 3

1 S&W antique Model 3 DA

1 Colt antique model 1878

2 3rd Gen Colt Sheriffs models with dual .44-40/.44 Special cylinders

1 3rd Gen Colt Buntline with dual .44-40/.44 Special cylinders

I know for a fact that the last 3 guns have .429 bores.   When I am shooting .44 Special in them, I run .430" bullets.   When I am shooting .44-40, I use the same .428" bullet that I use in all my other .44-40's   No loss off accuracy, no leading, no problems.

One potential problem with using the larger bullets in a .44-40 gun is that they might not fit in the chamber.   The smaller bullets will, and in this rather eclectic mix of old an new, the smaller bullet works just fine.

Go with the .428.

Some of the guns have larger bores than the others

14 hours ago, Stopsign32v said:

Looking harder I just found 250ct of .452 big lube bullets! Where did these come from!?! No clue when I got them or what the lube is but I'm going to melt them down real quick and lube them up with some Beeswax and Olive oil for some black powder fun tomorrow!

Don't bother melting out the lube. Springfield Slim only lubes his bullets with BP compatible lube. If the lube is gray, it is SPG. A few years ago Slim started using his own lube, which is greenish in color. I have been using Slims bullets with BP for years, his lube works fine.

Choosing the correct diameter bullet for a rifle is a little bit more complicated than choosing the correct diameter for a rifle. With a rifle, all you need is a bullet that fills the grooves of the rifling and does not swell the case so much that the round will not chamber. With a revolver there is the added need for the bullet to be sized correctly for the chamber throat. A good rule of thumb is a bullet that falls through the chamber throat is too small, a bullet that needs a lot of force to be shoved through the throat is too large, and a bullet that can be shoved through the chamber with just a little bit of thumb pressure is just right.

You may never find a bullet that does all these things in all your revolvers. Compromise is a good thing.

One other thing: When setting up a new set of dies for a new cartridge I always make up a few dummies rounds first. I set aside 3 or 4 cases without primers and use those as my 'try' pieces. I do not put any powder in them. Making up a few dummies allows me to get the adjustments just right on my dies. Afterwards, I set the dummies aside and keep them in case I ever need to reset the dies for a different bullet. Using my dummies it is easy to reset my dies for that bullet again. I find that sacrificing a few cases and bullets for set up dummies is well worth the price of a few cases and bullets.

47 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Choosing the correct diameter bullet for a rifle is a little bit more complicated than choosing the correct diameter for a rifle. W

One other thing: When setting up a new set of dies for a new cartridge I always make up a few dummies rounds first. I set aside 3 or 4 cases without primers and use those as my 'try' pieces. I do not put any powder in them. Making up a few dummies allows me to get the adjustments just right on my dies. Afterwards, I set the dummies aside and keep them in case I ever need to reset the dies for a different bullet. Using my dummies it is easy to reset my dies for that bullet again. I find that sacrificing a few cases and bullets for set up dummies is well worth the price of a few cases and bullets. 

^^^^^  This is golden info.  I have these cases for each caliber and for each different bullet in that caliber. Saves buco time when taking dies apart for cleaning.

54 minutes ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Don't bother melting out the lube. Springfield Slim only lubes his bullets with BP compatible lube. If the lube is gray, it is SPG. A few years ago Slim started using his own lube, which is greenish in color. I have been using Slims bullets with BP for years, his lube works fine.

This is the green stuff

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Why aren't you at the range?        :lol:

OLG

I told my buddy we would postpone it until tomorrow morning. Yesterday when I mentioned (reminded) the wife about shooting this morning there was a slight sigh. We are having a 4th of July party tonight with family and the kids and the house is a wreck. I was able to put 2 and 2 together and realize she was upset I wouldn't be home to help clean. :excl: So I told my buddy and we pushed it to tomorrow. I'm currently talking to you chaps while also cleaning dishes and then going to cut the grass. :D Shes now happy and tomorrow I will have all day.

Until a few years ago. The correct Bullet was .427  for the 44WCF, I have a couple of rifles and pistols in that diameter.

According to Mile Venturino take your cylinder out drop a led bullet in it. If it doesn't fall thru, if will shoot in your revolver.

Archived