SASS Wire Forum

Ponderings on the wire and elsewhere

Just now, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Mmmmmmm....Ice Cream :D

Makes everything better! ;)

I kinda got a picture of Homer Simpson reading your post:P.

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

TW I hope yer not bemoaning the fact that you can only attract old friends. Think about it old friends can’t hurt you or get you into trouble. When’s the last time Widder or any of them other old guys have said “ Hey, TW, lets go rob a bank!!!” Or “Hey TW lets go knock off a drug kingpin and steal all of his money”! or “Hey, TW, lets go down to UT and pick up a bunch of college girls and party all night!” So you ought to be thankful that all of old guys have time for you young pups and we’ve got the experience and scars to keep you on the straight and narrow.

Yul, I'm not bemoaning the fact. Quite the contrary. I cull most of the younguns. The good lord blessed me with some common sense. While people my age were out drinkin', I was right in the middle of the older guys learnin what I could. After all, God gave us 2 ears and one mouth. I try to listen more than I talk. Hey, I said try.

17 minutes ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

I am surviving.

4 surgeries done and 3 maybe 4 more to go.

All minor and I get to drive home after they carve me up after each session.

I feel yore pain. Tuesday I’m gonna feel it more. :D:wacko:

6 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

I 100% agree. Just wonder why people get their feelings hurt when someone doesn't view something the same as them. 

Because they aren't women. :o We are used to "swimming upstream.":( I admit to be willing to change my mind. TG, women can do that. ;)

PS We can also get away with crying. :blush::P:D

If I may offer an opinion. I would say the situation you describe has numerous causes, mostly unrelated, or at most tangentially related, to who the sitting President is.

The internet, social media and a 24 hour news cycle has made it more and more possible to seek out those opinions most like our own. It is far easier to locate views that validate and reinforce our own, than it is to seek out opposing views that may contradict ours and make us consider alternatives. Once well established in their own echo chambers, groups of like thinkers consider those with opposing views as idiots, morons, fascists, nazis, etc... When actually engaging with someone with those actual opposing views, they dismiss them as such, not having the willingness, or worse, the ability, to engage civilly and logically in discourse and debate. I see it on both sides of the spectrum. Probably because I have views that run to both sides of the spectrum, so find myself agreeing with and clashing with the same people on both sides, on different topics.

We live in an age where, sadly, much of higher academia (not all, mind you. There are schools out there I still respect) is far enough to the left, that they see no need to teach things such as logical evaluation of arguments, searching for fallacies, seeking truth, challenging underlying premises. Ironically, these are all of the things they were taught to do themselves. It is expected that the young will rebel against the status quo. It is a way of establishing their own identity. It happens in the "terrible twos" and in the terrible teens and early twenties. Historically, having done so, those rebels have realized that their elders are somewhat more sage and experienced than given credit for, and swing back. Something went askew with those rebels of the Sixties, and many continued to embrace the "outrageous ideas" that their elders despised. They gave us the left as we know it today. Not Kennedy's left, or Jim Webb's left. One that is intolerant, angry and extreme.

Finally, the double income household, and leaving children to be entertained by things that parents wouldn't actually approve of if they cared to watch, has created tacit acceptance of teenage pregnancy, "serial monogamy," and more morally questionable activities that parents should denounce instead. We all know that rock and roll isn't the Devil's Music, despite what our parents said. But at least they took the time to tell us, and tell us what good morals actually are. At the same time, the younger generation has shifted toward the "gig economy," again rejecting their parents notion of what is a good life, and blaming rich capitalists for the fact that they are struggling, because their friends in the echo chamber say it is the capitalist's fault, and they expect instant gratification.

As for me, I usually ask WWUBD. Since I have a feeling Utah Bob would just shrug and go have a scotch, I think I'll go see if I have a bit of Glenfiddich left.

5 hours ago, DocWard said:

If I may offer an opinion. 

And an excellent opinion, indeed! Very nicely put, Doc.

Well, up until “WWUBD”....:lol::P:D....just kidding UB. ;)

7 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I kinda got a picture of Homer Simpson reading your post:P.

And if I don’t quit eating things like ice cream I will look like Homer soon! :lol:

9 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

or “Hey, TW, lets go down to UT and pick up a bunch of college girls and party all night!” 

Sounds like a good idea to me,  but those college girls ain't interested in old geezers like us.

Dang it!

There is always ice cream - Blizzards, banana splits, dipped cones, sundaes  and straight out of the box.

Duffield

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

And if I don’t quit eating things like ice cream I will look like Homer soon! :lol:

D'oh!!!

Archived