SASS Wire Forum

Evil Roy 'smith for Vaquero - recommended?

heckofagator

I think he is, but just want to verify with the group.

Was thinking about my first set of pistols and the Ruger matched SASS set in 38/357 caught my eye.   Evil Roy has a pair (for a premium of course) that have been worked over and the hammer and trigger jeweled.  Really like the looks of them.

I haven't decided yet whether I can drop that much coin yet but again, just wanted to do some due diligence investigation first.

thanks!

Ken Griner (El Mulo Vaquero ) does some fine work,  he's done some shotgun and rifle work EXACTLY to my request, and he's pretty quick at turning work around.

Each gunsmith will do a few things unique to his experience of what is needed when tuning a cowboy gun.  You may or may not like something out of the collection of tuning he does.  As always, your best bet is to shoot a good example of his work.  Cheapest way to do that is go to local matches and ask around to find one tuned by the gunsmith, then try it out.

Highly particular folks are hard to please.   Doh.   Folks who figure they can handle (or learn to adapt) to most guns that have at least a little tuning done, are easily pleased with most gunsmith's tuning.   Only you know your level of adaptability and experience. 

The first set you buy will be the biggest risk of feeling let down if you didn't check things out, or know what it is that you need as a new shooter. 

How do you overcome that possible disappointment (hint, not necessarily by "due diligence")?

Either check out exactly what you are going to buy by shooting those guns or a good example of those guns at a local match, or even a bigger match.

OR

Buy something fairly standard, learn how to shoot them well, and THEN make a decision about what your NEXT pair of guns might need to have done, or perhaps even what your first pair needs to have done after you get to where you know them well.

I doubt anyone in the game got their guns exactly perfectly set up by the time they shot their first match.   Gear up, go shoot, enjoy, and learn what comes next.

Good luck, GJ

You’d be hard pressed to find a finer man or better gunsmith to work on your weapons. I’ve had several worked over and modified by Ken and in fact have one over there getting built as I type this. 

Ken has doneall of my firearms for many a year.Have'nt had any problems except normal wear.You won't go wrong with him.

He also has firearms to sell.

Largo

Ken has done practically all of my CAS guns.Couldnt  be happier with them.He has always gone over and beyond what is normally expected.I also recommend him most highly.

Chocktaw Jack 

5 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I doubt anyone in the game got their guns exactly perfectly set up by the time they shot their first match.   Gear up, go shoot, enjoy, and learn what comes next.

Excellent advice.  Yours might be the best post I've yet seen here.   You gave advice that is very very truthful/accurate and very very useful to a new shooter/buyer.  

Archived