SASS Wire Forum

45 Colt Loads

BloodyBill

I'm curious about what loads most shooters are using for the 45 LC.  I'm using 250 gr lead with 8 gr Unique, which I like just fine, but is probably a little hotter than I really need, and I'm thinking that most shooters are probably using something milder.

Howdy

When I was loading Smokeless I was using 7.5 grains of Unique under a 250 grain bullet. Pretty mild recoil, but still a lot hotter than most speed shooters are loading.

These days, about 35 grains of FFg Schuetzen under a 250 grain bullet.

Easy shooting 45 colt loads. RCBS 230 Cowboy bullet over 5.5 to 6 grains of Green Dot. Some bullet over 5 grains of Red Dot. 

250 Big Lube over 25 grains of GOEX FF and .7cc of cornmeal. 

Have fun

46 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Try 6.5-7.0 gn of Unique.

Use a firm roll crimp.

OLG

Agreed.  I had to change my loads recently, having switched from Rugers to Colts. 

Chambers all mike at .454, so I decided to do a bunch of experimenting.

Tried WW231, Unique, Trail Boss, Tite-Group,  all under a 250 LRNFP sized .454

I found the tightest grouping at reasonable velocity was 6.7 of Unique in all three Colts.

I think it runs around 735 f/s, and is quite comfortable to shoot a hundred rounds at practice.

On a side note, shooting Trail Boss in nickle cases was never a problem, could get 10-20

reloads per piece.  I'm finding though that I get more splits from using Unique.  It may be

also the TB loads were 600 f/s loads,  these are hotter.

Hope this helps,

Shadow Catcher

Bill,

6.0 grains Win 231 under a 200 gr.RNFP  works well for me.Very manageable recoil,accurate ,takes care of any KD targets with authority.

Choctaw Jack 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Try 6.5-7.0 gn of Unique.

Use a firm roll crimp.

OLG

This ^ used it for many years, wife loves it in her Rossi.

BD

For pistols in .45LC, you might enjoy 5.8 Trailboss behind a 160g RNFP. And if you need the additional OAL for your rifle, try a 185g RNFP with the same 5.8 Trailboss. Bear Creek makes both the 160g and the 185 RNFP bullets.

RR

PS: the 160g/in pistol with 7.5" barrel runs at 685fps - the 185g/in rifle with 26" barrel runs at 925fps

12 hours ago, BloodyBill said:

I'm curious about what loads most shooters are using for the 45 LC.  I'm using 250 gr lead with 8 gr Unique, which I like just fine, but is probably a little hotter than I really need, and I'm thinking that most shooters are probably using something milder.

By SASS standards that is a VERY stout load - actually about equivalent to original factory loads.  Even black powder shooters seldom load to that level.  It is also an excellent load to shoot any time.  As you can see, just about everybody here shoots and recommends lighter loads.  You have to shoot what is right for you.  My wife and I also shoot stout 45 Colt loads and for years everyone used to tell us how we could do better with lighter loads.  They know us now and realize we do what we do because it makes us smile and have fun.  Do what YOU enjoy...

New to this sport but not guns. I load a 250 grn bullet with 8.0 grns of Unique for 45 Colt. But that is just me and prior to my participating in any matches. I shoot at my private range next to my house in the country. Stay safe and have fun. 

I'm using 5.4 grns. of Clays under a 200 grn. bullet in my rifle. Going to try going up to a 250 grn. bullet next time I order some to see if I can reduce blowback.

I have used a 250 gr Hytek II coated bullet with 5.6 gr of Trailboss for a couple of years now.   Virtually no blowback, and rifle stays cleaner than with a 200 gr non-coated bullet. 

21 hours ago, BloodyBill said:

I was using 5.5 grains of Trail Boss, driving a 250 LRNFP in my Old Model Vaqueros and my rifles.

Now, due to age, arthritis and new, lighter SASS New Model Vaqueros, I'm cutting the charge back a bit, but I still want to keep my WARTHOG designation.

I use one more Grain than you ... if I use Smokieless.....

But mostly I use 37.7 Grains of Goex 3f .... with bullets weighing either 250 or 270 grains ...

Jabez Cowboy

28 grains "Cartridge" Goex behind a 225 grain cast bullet of WW from a RCBS 45-225-CAS mold, lubed w/SPG and a waxed card wad between bullet & powder.  

I have a Ruger New Vaquero. I see the standard 14,000 max applies to the 45 Colt, but the 45 ACP has a max pressure of what 19,000. So since i'm using the same medium frame, which can handle the 19,000 ACP load, why am I held to the 45 Colt at 14,000, the cylinder thickness seems to be the exact same for both? Any ideas? 

I'm not looking for 44 Mag power, just a little more than the standard 45 Colt. I have a Smith 460, which will shoot the 45 Colt, 454 and 460. Its ok for Alaska but i wanted something lighter for a walk in the woods where black bear could be. 

Appreciate you input......

Bob

17 hours ago, Bob Schmidt said:

I have a Ruger New Vaquero. I see the standard 14,000 max applies to the 45 Colt, but the 45 ACP has a max pressure of what 19,000. So since i'm using the same medium frame, which can handle the 19,000 ACP load, why am I held to the 45 Colt at 14,000, the cylinder thickness seems to be the exact same for both? Any ideas? 

I'm not looking for 44 Mag power, just a little more than the standard 45 Colt. I have a Smith 460, which will shoot the 45 Colt, 454 and 460. Its ok for Alaska but i wanted something lighter for a walk in the woods where black bear could be. 

Appreciate you input......

Bob

Have you asked RUGER ??

On 7/3/2019 at 8:21 AM, BloodyBill said:

Woof!
In a 2.6 lb revolver, this is 9 pounds of recoil.

Archived