SASS Wire Forum

UPS, FedEx, DHL, and USPS never look at maps!

I get my amusement tracking packages.  In the past couple of days I've been watching two packages coming in.

One by USPS next day ground from a small town in Kentucky less than 6 hour drive. I wasn't shocked to see it passed within 15 miles from us to keep going to Kansas City before it came back adding 400+ miles and another day to the delivery. 

The second package is still incoming second day air from Ten Sleep Wyoming.  Ten Sleep is on the west side of the Big Horn Mountain range. The package was picked up just before noon on Monday and scanned into Cody.  I'm assuming Cody is their local station.  12 hours later it was scanned in a Casper Wyoming.  From there it went north again to Sheridan Wyoming.  Then further north and West to Billings MT.  It was scanned in and out twice in Billings.  I figured it came into a ground depot and went to a station in the Billings airport. 

From Billings,  it was scanned into Commerace City (Denver) Colorado. It only took an hour and a half so it obviously was on an airplane.  It quickly departed Commerace City.  I figured it would land in Lenexa Kansas as that's a big UPS hub that most everything we send or get goes through.  But no.  The latest arrival scan at 2:08am finds it it Louisville Kentucky!   Still due today by 8:00pm.  

It's absolutely crazy!  The corkscrew loop it took through Wyoming to get to Billings would have about equaled the drive to our place.  And it was in Casper on Tuesday morning - it would have been much shorter and quicker to have taken it south to Commerace City than back north to Sheridan.  It would have been far more direct to take it from Cody to Billings on the first day than to take it to Casper. 

Stay tuned.   I'm betting it'll have to go to Lenexa Kansas before it comes back to mid-Missouri.  It's probably on a truck heading west on I64 to I70. 

They do use maps. But the connections on the map are not measured in distances. They are measured in costs.  The cost, for your package, on a 500 mile link can be 10¢ while the cost on a ten mile road is $10. Thus they really do select the cheapest route.

i actually had something to do with that.  B)

Now this is real interesting.   It departed Louisville at 5:41 and arrived at Berkeley Missouri (suburb west side of St.Louis Missouri) at 5:40.  A time zone thing.  14 hours left to go the last 135 miles. 

Nobody really wants to know how the sausage is made!! :lol:

The one that cracks me up is when the package suddenly changes carriers in the middle of the route!! I wonder who’s responsible if the package is damaged or goes missing???

10 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Nobody really wants to know how the sausage is made!! :lol:

The one that cracks me up is when the package suddenly changes carriers in the middle of the route!! I wonder who’s responsible if the package is damaged or goes missing???

MidwayUSA is just 45 minutes away.  When I know we're going that way I'll place an order to pick up there.  One time I didn't notice the online screen had defaulted to ship.  They shipped UPS to the local UPS location in Columbia that also serves us. But instead of putting it out on a brown truck out to us,  they haulded it to Lenexa Kansas.   From there they transferred it to USPS in Kansas City Kansas.  From there back to Columbia,  then to our post office and out for rural delivery.   

Don’t get me started.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

They do use maps. But the connections on the map are not measured in distances. They are measured in costs.  The cost, for your package, on a 500 mile link can be 10¢ while the cost on a ten mile road is $10. Thus they really do select the cheapest route.

Every time it gets touched by someone the cost goes up.  Looks like his second package got touched at least 13 times - someone has to put it on the conveyor belt.  Unless, of course, they have a manifest for an entire pallet or trailer, and those are getting moved in and out.  Even so, that is a lot of either forklift work (to move pallets) or driver time to unhook and hook up  

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Marshal, 

I believe it was you and Al that did that freight handling project, right? Al Gorithim.............:D

5 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Marshal, 

I believe it was you and Al that did that freight handling project, right? Al Gorithim.............:D

He might have done freight handling, my patents are in GPS, where I know the math was beyond him.

AH! I got ya all beat.

I order something from California, to be delivered here to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. (Sort of East/central Canada)

Notice of shipping had it eventually in the sorting facility at Heathrow Airport outside London England.

Nice cross North American continent trip, followed by an Atlantic crossing, twice, before it made it here.

I'm glad I wasn't paying by the mile.

Figure this out. If I mail a birthday card to the neighbor kid across the road, it has to travel 360 miles round trip and takes 2-3 days to be delivered. USPS will not allow the local PO to put the card in the neighbors box. They could be fired if they do. USPS took the canceling machines out of all the area PO's. Mail must be sent 180 miles away to be canceled (when they get around to it) and returned.

Love tracking 'normal' packages in transit.  They have to park it somewhere for a couple of days so it doesn't reach you in two days 'cause you didn't pay for that.  All packages would reach you in 2-3 days if not held up for a while to help maintain the price structure.

18 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Every time it gets touched by someone the cost goes up.  Looks like his second package got touched at least 13 times - someone has to put it on the conveyor belt.  Unless, of course, they have a manifest for an entire pallet or trailer, and those are getting moved in and out.  Even so, that is a lot of either forklift work (to move pallets) or driver time to unhook and hook up  

More and more, it’s robotic arms that do the touching, just like when moving your luggage from plane to plane.  Btw, Polish LOT Airlines have some brutal robots, DAMHIKT.

I ordered a scope a few years ago that took a nice tour of Texas before it got here. It went from wherever it was shipped from to Mesquite Tx east of Dallas (say 200 mi from here), then for some reason it went clear to El Paso (thru Clyde, I live a few hundred yards from I20 ), then clear across the state back to Mesquite (thru Clyde again), then from Mesquite to Abilene (thru Clyde again) then on the truck for delivery to Clyde. :huh:

JHC

21 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

AH! I got ya all beat.

I order something from California, to be delivered here to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. (Sort of East/central Canada)

Notice of shipping had it eventually in the sorting facility at Heathrow Airport outside London England.

Nice cross North American continent trip, followed by an Atlantic crossing, twice, before it made it here.

I'm glad I wasn't paying by the mile.

I think that's called incompetence.

JHC

18 hours ago, T.J. Bones SASS# 75616 said:

Figure this out. If I mail a birthday card to the neighbor kid across the road, it has to travel 360 miles round trip and takes 2-3 days to be delivered. USPS will not allow the local PO to put the card in the neighbors box. They could be fired if they do. USPS took the canceling machines out of all the area PO's. Mail must be sent 180 miles away to be canceled (when they get around to it) and returned.

Same here in Warsaw, Mo. Use to have local delivery box at the P.O. and it stayed in Warsaw. Now it has to go to Columbia, Mo. then back to Warsaw for delivery. For an idiot it makes all the sense in the world.

The Smart Post thing is crazy too. I've had packages come to the house by FedEx and the tell me the other are at the Post Office because they went smart post. Just adds another day to get to my house and the FedEx guy can't just drop it off as it has to scanned in at the PO. Chewy.com can me dog food in less than 24 hours for free, Brownells takes over a week with the same carrier.

Archived