SASS Wire Forum

Combustible Cartridges for 1847 Colt Walker

Sarsaparilla Sam

Greeting SASS Forum Members!

I am new to SASS and cowboy account shooting having only been out to 6-7 shoots this year.  I am really enjoying the event and just shoot for the sake of having a good time.  My Catagory I am going to compete in classic cowboy category, using the rule of cool I have ordered two of the biggest pieces of shooting irons a man can get.  A brace of 1847 colt walkers from Uberti.  After doing a little research I have stumbled on the subject of combustible paper cartridges.  Is there any good advice to make them with round balls?  Or is it better to use a conical projectile?  How do you make either of them in the first place?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Whoever responds thank you very much for your time and consideration in this matter!

I had success with using perm end papers with a cigarette paper end cap.

You put the cigarette paper over the end of a dowel rod. Run a glue stick down the edge of the perm paper and wrap around the dowel rod, gluing it to the end cap, and making a tube.

Fill tube with powder, then ball, then twist the end of the paper to close it all off.

Yep, University of Youtube.

1. Cartridges with cig rolling paper

2. Cartridges with nitrates coffee filters

3. Mylar or poly tube to hold loose powder, capped with a round ball

Most vids show conical for cartridges.

3 hours ago, Sarsaparilla Sam said:

Sounds good!  I will give things it the old college try and to my best not to blow myself up.

Thanks Much!

Remember the paper is for gunpowder only…Do not start rolling your own…

Texas Lizard

I started with this guy 

Then I adjusted it for my own needs.  I  just put 40gr FFFg and a 454 ball and twist them up.  I pinch off the tail when I load them, then grease the top.  Works good so far. 

A8AF2B06-A308-4E7A-94EA-6EAFCD390F3C.jpeg

I made up paper cartridges for 2 Walkers, an 1860 and an 1851 using the Cliff Manley formers. (120 in all)

I made only black powder charges using un nitrated curling paper and  rammed the ball on top of the charge. 

I think in the end it did not save any time vs loading the charges with a flask. It took a long time to make up the cartridges at home. 

My take, if you have the time and like the process, go for it. I have enough to load my ‘51 for this Saturday and I’ll use a flask for the 40 gr Walker charges. 

image.jpg

Archived