SASS Wire Forum

Now even the original 13-star US flag is considered racist...

It never stops amazing me as to how we bow to one individual that has an a** ache about something. Seems to create more prejudice than to eliminate it. JMHO

4 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

This goes beyond merely being unpatriotic. What's next, bulldozing Mount Vernon and Monticello and renaming the Washington Monument?

https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/crime/item/26713-member-of-revolutionary-marxist-leninist-party-arrested-for-role-in-destroying-confederate-statue

This is how the communist will take complete control of this country and disarm the people. When they get through even England will not want our country back.

So, this is just one more chink in the armor. One more kick in the shins. Their machine is winning. What are we going to do about it?

I think I will send Nike an email and let them know what I think about it. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

So, this is just one more chink in the armor. One more kick in the shins. Their machine is winning. What are we going to do about it?

I think I will send Nike an email and let them know what I think about it. 

That's what I'm doing, not that it will do much good. I think Nike already decided what side of the political spectrum they're on a long time ago.

Congrats to AZ governor. The only way we can make these big companies pay attention is to effect their bottom line. The folks on the left are not the only ones with money to spend. 

3 hours ago, Wapaloosie73 said:

Boycott Nike fer bein unpatriotic 

But first, write them a letter telling them why you're boycotting.

It's Colin Kaepernick who's being racist.

24 minutes ago, Shotgun Willie Nelson said:

But first, write them a letter telling them why you're boycotting.

It's Colin Kaepernick who's being racist.

He was raised by white adoptive parents, is part white himself and he thinks white people, especially white cops are racists! Wow, what a dumb idiot and Nike is catering to him!! I'll never buy Nike for as long as I live!

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

It never stops amazing me as to how we bow to one individual that has an a** ache about something. Seems to create more prejudice than to eliminate it. JMHO

I couldn't agree more!

Nike owns other businesses that do not need my money:

NIKE, Inc. is the correct use of Nike when referring to the company. Nike is the correct use when referring to Nike as a brand. Our affiliate brands should be referenced as follows: Converse Inc. Jordan Brand and Hurley International LLC.

Okay, I just deleted two paragraphs from my response. I went of the rails a little. :angry:

Being in the accounting/finance field, I tend to look at things from another angle.  $$$$$  Since the shoes were set to release this week, you know they have already been made and are likely in retailers hands already.  What are they going to do with them once they pull them back, shred them?  Give them to the poor in a third world country?  That's a HUGE write down.  What will the BOD think of that?  How will they explain that to the shareholders, "Kaepernick told us to" isn't really an adequate answer.  Unless he screamed law suit, this doesn't seem to be a well thought out move.

1 minute ago, Calamity Kris said:

Being in the accounting/finance field, I tend to look at things from another angle.  $$$$$  Since the shoes were set to release this week, you know they have already been made and are likely in retailers hands already.  What are they going to do with them once they pull them back, shred them?  Give them to the poor in a third world country?  That's a HUGE write down.  What will the BOD think of that?  How will they explain that to the shareholders, "Kaepernick told us to" isn't really an adequate answer.  Unless he screamed law suit, this doesn't seem to be a well thought out move.

Reports on TV that they're being sold for up to $2500. 

What really pi$$es me off is the basketball coach wants the kids shoes to match and gets a great price for Nikes :angry:

I would not pay ANYTHING for those NIKE shoes. NIKE logo has become a symbol of hate.

NIKE is not welcome here. It will not be at Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, baby/bridal showers.

Here I thought nothing could be sillier than that player on the USA Women's Soccer Team (I will not name her).

But I will refer to her as the Kaeper-Chick.

The flag of our Revolution is now considered by some as a symbol of racism? I guess that would apply to every flag we had up to the Emancipation Proclamation In 1862.  Or actually in February of 65 when the 13th Amendment was ratified. 

A perfect example of the power of being offended in today’s America. I’m sure somebody has come up with a term for it. If not, they need to.

:(:angry:

If you're serious about letting Nike know about your feelings, I strongly suggest doing it old school.  Send them a letter.  They do not (for obvious reasons when you think about it) have a way to email their board of directors or the corporation directly.  You can however Tweet at them. :rolleyes:

You can send an email to

NIKE Inc.

Board of Directors

c/o Nike Headquarters

One Bowerman Drive

Beaverton, OR 97005

Here is a list of the corporate officers:

Philip Knight – Board of Directors Chairman

Mark Parker – CEO and President

David Ayre – Executive Vice President

Don Blair – Executive Vice President and CFO

Trevor Edwards – Brand President

Jeanne Jackson – Merchandising President

Hilary Krane Executive Vice President

John Slusher – Executive Vice President

Eric Sprunk – COO

John Coburn – Vice President

Kelley Hall – Treasurer Vice President

Bernie Pliska – Vice President

Knight and Parker both serve on the board as insiders.  The rest of the board is as follows:

Other Board Members On Board Members

Name (Connections) Relationships Type of Board Members Primary Company Age
Alan Graf Jr. 24 Relationships Member of the Board of Directors FedEx Corporation 65
Timothy Cook 23 Relationships Member of the Board of Directors Apple Inc. 58
John Lechleiter 41 Relationships Member of the Board of Directors NIKE, Inc. 65
John Thompson Jr. 13 Relationships Member of the Board of Directors NIKE, Inc. 78
John Connors 70 Relationships Member of the Board of Directors Ignition Partners 60
Elizabeth Comstock 138Relationships Member of the Board of Directors NIKE, Inc. 58
Michelle Peluso 372Relationships Member of the Board of Directors International Business Machines Corporation 47
John Donahoe II 53 Relationships Member of the Board of Directors ServiceNow, Inc. 58
Travis Knight 15 Relationships Member of the Board of Directors LAIKA, LLC 45
Peter Henry Ph.D. 96 Relationships Member of the Board of Directors NIKE, Inc. 50
Cathleen Benko 155Relationships Member of the Board of Directors NIKE, Inc. 60
John Rogers Jr. 235Relationships Member of the Board of Directors Ariel Investments, LLC 60

Sorry for the Cut and Paste on that.  Best list I could fine.  I'm working up a letter now.

So are you all really that surprised that Nike rolled over? It is Nike after all.

Not really, but it's principle of the thing, and when it comes to this flag, as an Elk this really pisses me off.  (I may not be an active officer anymore, but I always make a point to show up and help out for the flag day celebration.)

Here's what I put in the letter:

To the Board of Directors:

This letter is to inform the board of directors in my personal disappointment in the apparent last-minute decision of the company to pull the release of the “Air Max 1 Quick Strike Forth of July” shoe line from store shelves prior to the July 4th, 2019 weekend because it contains a symbol that one of your spokesmen finds offensive.

While some may argue that this flag is being used by a small minority of racist groups as a symbol of their cause, I will argue that this flag was in truth the “official” battle flag of our country during our fight for independence from England and a symbol of the birth of a nation whose guiding principles have been and always will be “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.”

The original thirteen Stars and Stripes represent the original thirteen colonies and was flown by the ships fighting for that independence, and there is quality evidence that George Washington also used this as the battle flag for his armies during the war of independence.

While it is true that the Congress of these United States did not adopt an official standard for the flag until April 14th, 1818 (which called for 20 stars in the blue field to reflect the current number of states in the union, and one to be added for each state thereafter admitted) various versions of this flag have always flown over our forts and cities since and before its founding on July 4th, 1776 as the symbol of our nation.

Listening to and even giving in to the demands of a rather small (but apparently vocal) minority of individuals wishing to change the perception of this symbol of hope and freedom into one of hatred and oppression just gives additional weight to those rather narrow sighted viewpoints.

1 hour ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Actually their sales are up substantially 

Exactly. These days controversy is a form of advertising. Look at all the free publicity they're getting over this. They'll make back the money over those unsold shoes and then some... trust me.

I just bought a T shirt from 9 line with a big Betsy Ross flag in the center. Does that make me a racist? If it does then I think my t shirt that has our flag and a cross on it and says "If you don't like this I will help you pack" is probably not very PC either.

But I was never PC. The chief  made me take cultural diversity 3 times before I passed.

Our Country has made some mistakes. We all do. It’s still the greatest Country in the world as far as I’m concerned. God Bless America! I hope everyone has a Happy 4th. Of July! My family is celebrating at the beach. 

28 minutes ago, Turkeyhen said:

Our Country has made some mistakes. We all do. It’s still the greatest Country in the world as far as I’m concerned.

Exactly. This nation has never been perfect, but no country is. Every single nation has a time in its history where they mistreated people, either their own or those of another country. If we're going to start whitewashing our own history to suit today's political sensibilities then our kids are going to grow up with a badly distorted version of events. If the Betsy Ross flag is racist because it existed during the era of slavery then so is the Declaration of Independence, and even the Constitution itself because both were penned by white slave owners.

Archived